Anyone remember their college move-in experience?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just so I feel old. Mid 70's I moved into Schmidt house on 8th floor of Knapp Tower. My dad's job took us to New Hampshire during high school, thus I had a long drive to Ames.

Had to choose between motorcycle and car. Love my Yamaha too much to let it go, so came to school with a backpack and my father's old army duffle bag with clothes on the bike. Real 'Easy Rider' kind of trip. That was my move in.

I shipped a few more boxes of stuff, but that was it.

Wilkinson House, 10th floor. August 1976. I was stuck in a 3 man in a 2 man room situation for the first 4 or 5 days until I got moved into a corner room where a guy never showed up.

I don't remember bringing much up with me. There was some kind of a list.

I drove the '57 Custom and the thought of my parents coming along never even crossed my mind. I do remember stopping en-route to see my grandmother in IC (RIP). It was the year before the resuming of the ISU versus Iowa football game and she asked me if I would cheer for Ames. I said probably. She understood.

I guess I knew I'd be back a couple weeks later to pick up anything I needed or forgot, so wasn't that concerned.

Yes, the elevators (everyone called them "vators") were always broken, mainly due to drunken mischief.

I also remember we had to get downtown to the telephone company to establish a telephone account if we intended to use the telephones provided in the rooms for long distance calling.

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
I attended ISU back in the mid 70's when the legal age was 18 and the class schedule was on quarters. Fall semester started Thursday after Labor Day. Dorms opened Sunday night @ 6PM. So moved in on Sunday to beat the crowd (Baker House, 10th floor Storms Hall, Towers, no longer there). With everybody being legal age and no class for 4 days, it was out to the bars every night and bumming around all day. Absolutely great times. Oh, to be 19 again. :rolleyes:

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Me as well. Also, did your roommate fail out? I can't believe the people that did that.

No, just a farm kid that went home every weekend and didn't have classes on Friday. Went home Thursday afternoon and didn't return until Monday morning.

But yes, there were a few that did flunk out.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I attended ISU back in the mid 70's when the legal age was 18 and the class schedule was on quarters. Fall semester started Thursday after Labor Day. Dorms opened Sunday night @ 6PM. So moved in on Sunday to beat the crowd (Baker House, 10th floor Storms Hall, Towers, no longer there). With everybody being legal age and no class for 4 days, it was out to the bars every night and bumming around all day. Absolutely great times. Oh, to be 19 again. :rolleyes:

I remember classes started the Thursday before Labor Day, not after. Move in, Two days of class, then a 3 day weekend before things started getting serious.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Willow Arnquist 07 move it went awesome since my roommate and I were champs at carpentry. Brought all our stuff up to the floor broke into a closet on the far north end east hallway stowed our stuff in there since we were going to put up our lofts. Parents left they cried, roommate and I got hammered drunk on whiskey sours (hawkeye whiskey had to start off college right) while putting our lofts together and arranging the room. Met our friendly pot dealing neighbors as they were picking out the non goodies in their fresh supply and that was the start of the best 4 years of my life.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
chamberlin '76. we had a blast. the first 2 freshmen (me and a guy named Hugo) had to carry a keg up the stairs. good times!

By my time, the unwritten rule was that if you got caught with a keg, you were toast, but if you had a keg equivalent of can beer or liquor, as long as you weren't causing other problems, no worries.

I think it was the semester I was president, having a party in my room and the fire alarm went off while I was taking a leak. Some genius decided to rip the whole thing down. Later, we realized that killed the power for the whole side of the floor. Didn't realize it at the time because everyone was in my room.

That took some explaining...I think the only reason I didn't get busted was because DPS had been by earlier and noted that I was trying to shoo people out of the hall and 'maintain order'.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I didn't go to college at ISU freshman year. The place i did move into I was assigned 4 random roommates in a TWO bedroom apartment. That's 5 guys who also all shared 1 bathroom.

By the end of the first day/night, I felt like I had 4 new best friends. We got along great and never had an issue with room space or bathroom times. Ah, the good ole days!

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I was in Henderson and DH was in Godfrey - so glad we didn't have to deal with steps!

We always called Stange 'Strange" and their carpet seriously stunk. Not sure when you were there, but it always smelled walking through there.

2006-2009. Don't remember it smelling. 1st floor Dodds on the other end of Friley sure did have a smell though...

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
2001, Friley 5th floor, Niles-Foster. They wouldn't let us use the elevator, so that was sweet. I didn't have much though - my room was tiny and I had to share it. I think they might have re-designated that bad boy to a single.

Was that the floor with one room that had the elevator shaft going through it?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Friley, Hutton House 1997. Room was two doors in from the arch. Crazy to think that was 17 years ago. I am getting old!

I met my best friends on that floor---I've literally traveled the world with people that I met there. Italy, England, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Ireland. And too many places in the US to mention. We've seen each other through the death of one of us and now the serious injury/illness of another.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
2006-2009. Don't remember it smelling. 1st floor Dodds on the other end of Friley sure did have a smell though...

I probably walked by your room 800,000 times. You never tried to light a girl on fire with a lighter, by chance? And then go back to trying to light the wall?

I think it was the first section going toward Godfrey that would smell.

trigger1

May 21, 2008
Ames
Fall 76 meeting roommate for first time. Him: you smoke ? Me: no. Him: good. You chew? Me: no. Him: care if I do? Me: nope. Him: drink beer? Me: yep. Him : we're going to get along fine. And we did, lived together 3 years, he was best man in my wedding. I see a few others of my vintage in this thread, ah the days of kegs in the dorms.....

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Fall 76 meeting roommate for first time. Him: you smoke ? Me: no. Him: good. You chew? Me: no. Him: care if I do? Me: nope. Him: drink beer? Me: yep. Him : we're going to get along fine. And we did, lived together 3 years, he was best man in my wedding. I see a few others of my vintage in this thread, ah the days of kegs in the dorms.....
Back then, kegs were more common than color tvs in the rooms. Met a girl a floor down who had a color tv, no keg. Married her.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I didn't go to college at ISU freshman year. The place i did move into I was assigned 4 random roommates in a TWO bedroom apartment. That's 5 guys who also all shared 1 bathroom.

By the end of the first day/night, I felt like I had 4 new best friends. We got along great and never had an issue with room space or bathroom times. Ah, the good ole days!

Five guys sharing a bathroom works a lot better than five girls sharing a bathroom. Hell, it works better than TWO girls sharing a bathroom!

Bamacyclone

Jan 7, 2012
SE
Wilkinson House, 10th floor. August 1976. I was stuck in a 3 man in a 2 man room situation for the first 4 or 5 days until I got moved into a corner room where a guy never showed up.

I don't remember bringing much up with me. There was some kind of a list.

I drove the '57 Custom and the thought of my parents coming along never even crossed my mind. I do remember stopping en-route to see my grandmother in IC (RIP). It was the year before the resuming of the ISU versus Iowa football game and she asked me if I would cheer for Ames. I said probably. She understood.

I guess I knew I'd be back a couple weeks later to pick up anything I needed or forgot, so wasn't that concerned.

Yes, the elevators (everyone called them "vators") were always broken, mainly due to drunken mischief.

I also remember we had to get downtown to the telephone company to establish a telephone account if we intended to use the telephones provided in the rooms for long distance calling.

My only memory of the Tower's elevators was as a hazing tool. The tradition was to grab unsuspecting freshman, strip them to their skivvies, give them a shower, and then zip them up in one of those mattress sacks.

In those days the first 3 floors were female. So they'd send the victim down to visit the ladies. The girl's would send him back eventually.

I was in a corner room with another freshman. Next to us was another room with two freshman. We watched each other's backs that year, so we didn't get the treatment.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Moved into fraternity. Unorganized but amazing. The activities the week before school started were the best.
The week before classes start is the best week of the year. You get to see all your friends again, no classes, great weather, and lots and lots of drinking.