What is this in my yard?

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Last night watering stuff in the yard I noticed this by our sidewalk that leads up to our front door. There is a hole under the sidewalk and what looks like "veins" that lead out into the grass. The dead grass areas would be the "veins." My innitial thought is that it is ants.

What do others think? Should I be overly concerned?

photo.JPG

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
cropcircle.jpg

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Last night watering stuff in the yard I noticed this by our sidewalk that leads up to our front door. There is a hole under the sidewalk and what looks like "veins" that lead out into the grass. The dead grass areas would be the "veins." My innitial thought is that it is ants.

What do others think? Should I be overly concerned?

View attachment 27788

I have the same problem in my lawn...I had good luck 'treating' the problem with these $(KGrHqQOKosFG-BUOBtpBR5L,0eK0Q~~60_35.JPG . I put all 4 'bombs' in varies parts of the tunnels and I haven't seen any new tunnels in about 3 weeks now.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Voles. As they tunnel they are eating the root system of the grass thus making the trails dead. If you have tunnels where the dirt is pushed up, but the grass is alive, it's a mole. Moles eat worms, grubs, etc. You can use smoke bombs or pellet poison, but be careful if you have pets.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
If it is voles I have never seen them- do the only come out during certain times of day? In the 6 years we have lived in this house I have never seen a mouse or anything- no rodents ever. There was some dirt pushed out from under the sidewalk onto some landscaping that isn't seen in the pictures. That's why I thought it was ants- we do have plenty of them.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If it is voles I have never seen them- do the only come out during certain times of day? In the 6 years we have lived in this house I have never seen a mouse or anything- no rodents ever. There was some dirt pushed out from under the sidewalk onto some landscaping that isn't seen in the pictures. That's why I thought it was ants- we do have plenty of them.

We had them as well. We also never saw the animal, but once we put down poison the trails went away.