Guardians of the Galaxy

wolverine68

Mar 30, 2007
Urbandale
www.gvc.edu
I missed the discussion about what characters could be in what movies, and it is correct that Marvel sold the rights to different characters to different studios. You have to remember that at the time they did that, Marvel was not in good shape financially and so the contracts were heavily weighted towards the studios. As long as Fox and Sony keep using the characters every few years, Marvel will never get them back.
It's so bad that Universal bought the rights to all Marvel Characters for their theme parks and tried to sue Disney when they put a wrap advertising The Avengers movie on one of their monorails. Disney got off on a technicality though. The monorail with the wrap only used the resort loop to the Magic Kingdom (which never enters a "park"). Had they used the Epcot loop (which does cross into Epcot) Universal would have won.

Cool infographic about who owns the right to whom...
http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-character-film-rights-infographic/

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
tumblr_n5u2krQgpR1qbhma4o1_500.gif

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm a comics nerd and specifically of space comics like silver surfer and the infinity gauntlet stuff but guardians of the galaxy is a weak property. Couldn't believe the original series lasted that long and that it was ever rebooted with better series out there. If mArvel uses this to segue into infinity gauntlet it's only because they botched silver surfer with a crap fantastic four movie. He's the real way to connect it with avengers.

there are hundreds of similar and better green lantern stories than gotg but dc botched that chance.
Iron Man was a weak property as well until RDJr came up with a performance of a lifetime. There is no reason Marvel can't make this work. Flawed characters are the best type, and that is the problem with DC's heroes. There are very few flaws in their heavy hitter lineup. I can't believe they are letting Snyder direct another movie. DC should just stick to the animated films. Those are awesome.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I missed the discussion about what characters could be in what movies, and it is correct that Marvel sold the rights to different characters to different studios. You have to remember that at the time they did that, Marvel was not in good shape financially and so the contracts were heavily weighted towards the studios. As long as Fox and Sony keep using the characters every few years, Marvel will never get them back.
It's so bad that Universal bought the rights to all Marvel Characters for their theme parks and tried to sue Disney when they put a wrap advertising The Avengers movie on one of their monorails. Disney got off on a technicality though. The monorail with the wrap only used the resort loop to the Magic Kingdom (which never enters a "park"). Had they used the Epcot loop (which does cross into Epcot) Universal would have won.

Cool infographic about who owns the right to whom...
http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-character-film-rights-infographic/

That's a pretty interesting graphic. I thought the funniest part was that at some point a studio executive thought snapping up the solo rights to Namor was a savvy business decision.

I'd really love to see where all the rights land for the various villains and minor characters. That would really clear up a lot of questions people have about whether certain story arcs can or can't be recreated in the Marvel films/live-action shows.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
not GOTG, but one of the better fan made videos I have ever seen

[video=youtube;TLyNMSkTiGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLyNMSkTiGg[/video]

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
extended trailer. Looks very interesting.

[video=youtube;EzI-U1Fh9zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzI-U1Fh9zc[/video]

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Great movie. Lots of fun. Probably my favorite Marvel movie so far. Definitely my favorite post-credits scene, as of yet.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
Entertaining movie gorgeous sure. Didn't try to take itself too seriously but wasn't a complete satire either. I am Groot!

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I can't wait, have heard nothing but awesome reviews. Planning on going tomorrow night at 10 after the kiddos hit the hay!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
is this a kid friendly movie?

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
is this a kid friendly movie?

I know this will make me sound old and everything.... but I thought there was a LOT more violence than I was expecting. I'm not a prude (love the head-chopping scene in Fellowship of the Ring), but I didn't expect the often cruel and light manner in which death was treated in this movie. Small spoiler, but there is a scene where one character kills about a dozen enemies and then turns and smiles at the camera in a kind of "well aren't I cute" kind of manner which I thought was in poor taste.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. But I would not take kids under 13 personally.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron