Guardians of the Galaxy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
extended trailer. Looks very interesting.

[video=youtube;EzI-U1Fh9zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzI-U1Fh9zc[/video]

So badly want to see this. The comedy employed appeals to my strange sense of humor. Wish we had more babysitting options living so far away from my parents.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
is this a kid friendly movie?

I know this will make me sound old and everything.... but I thought there was a LOT more violence than I was expecting. I'm not a prude (love the head-chopping scene in Fellowship of the Ring), but I didn't expect the often cruel and light manner in which death was treated in this movie. Small spoiler, but there is a scene where one character kills about a dozen enemies and then turns and smiles at the camera in a kind of "well aren't I cute" kind of manner which I thought was in poor taste.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. But I would not take kids under 13 personally.

I'll echo algonacy, although I haven't seen it. From the reviews I've read, it sounds like it's a pretty violent film as far as on screen deaths go. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it sounds like it's fairly graphic.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
is this a kid friendly movie?
It has no more violence/death than Avengers. There was more swearing and innuendos than the average Marvel movie, which I enjoyed because these aren't supposed to be goody goody heroes. And the "poor taste" mentioned earlier needs to lighten up. It was no worse than a one liner from any action movie ever made (and a great part of the movie).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It has no more violence/death than Avengers. There was more swearing and innuendos than the average Marvel movie, which I enjoyed because these aren't supposed to be goody goody heroes. And the "poor taste" mentioned earlier needs to lighten up. It was no worse than a one liner from any action movie ever made (and a great part of the movie).
I'll defer to you then, since you've seen it. I'm only posting what I've read in reviews.

algonacy

Feb 19, 2012
Iowa
Listen, I'm seriously not trying to make a big deal out of the violence. That is not my intention and I can certainly move beyond it, but in my opinion it was too violent for kids under 12-13 years old. When good guys are fighting bad guys in movies of this scale there is a lot of death. My issue is that the "good guys" in this movie had moments where they enjoyed causing the death is about the only way I can think to phrase it. The vibe I got from that connected with me in a different manner than say the Avengers movie where they are defending the entire city and world from imminent destruction. Read into that what you will, but it felt more violent. A side character in the movie (who is setup with questionable characteristics and is being defined as being mostly cruel and evil) has a completely unnecessary scene where he kills 20 people. The action was cool to see, but the scene played absolutely no purpose other than to show the action of 20 deaths.

I repeat, I enjoyed it. If you like these types of movies, I would highly recommend it.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Listen, I'm seriously not trying to make a big deal out of the violence. That is not my intention and I can certainly move beyond it, but in my opinion it was too violent for kids under 12-13 years old. When good guys are fighting bad guys in movies of this scale there is a lot of death. My issue is that the "good guys" in this movie had moments where they enjoyed causing the death is about the only way I can think to phrase it. The vibe I got from that connected with me in a different manner than say the Avengers movie where they are defending the entire city and world from imminent destruction. Read into that what you will, but it felt more violent. A side character in the movie (who is setup with questionable characteristics and is being defined as being mostly cruel and evil) has a completely unnecessary scene where he kills 20 people. The action was cool to see, but the scene played absolutely no purpose other than to show the action of 20 deaths.

I repeat, I enjoyed it. If you like these types of movies, I would highly recommend it.

1) The movie is rated PG-13. So yeah, it is not appropriate for kids under 13.

2) I'm not sure why you would expect or even want the movie to be similar to the Avengers in terms of tone. These aren't the Avengers, if anything they're the anti-Avengers. That's kind of the whole point.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
1) The movie is rated PG-13. So yeah, it is not appropriate for kids under 13.

2) I'm not sure why you would expect or even want the movie to be similar to the Avengers in terms of tone. These aren't the Avengers, if anything they're the anti-Avengers. That's kind of the whole point.

At least until Avengers 3 (supposedly)

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Really liked the movie, the humor in it was well done. One thing that really threw me was I could've sworn I saw a Thor cameo at the Collector's place. There was a guy with a red cape with giant arms facing away from the camera in one of the cages. Anyone else catch that or am I crazy?

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Really liked the movie, the humor in it was well done. One thing that really threw me was I could've sworn I saw a Thor cameo at the Collector's place. There was a guy with a red cape with giant arms facing away from the camera in one of the cages. Anyone else catch that or am I crazy?
I missed that but I would bet it would be a Beta Ray Bill easter egg if it is as you described it.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I missed that but I would bet it would be a Beta Ray Bill easter egg if it is as you described it.

Could be, I thought the guy had blonde hair but it was in the background of only a couple of shots so it was tough to tell. I would love to see Beta Ray Bill in the future.

To the guy asking about this being kid friendly I would say it is less so than most Marvel movies. The swearing is fairly prevalent but is no worse than what you'd see on cable television. It's not gratuitous and once you get to know the characters it would be odd if they weren't foul mouthed. The violence is no different than any other Marvel movie, if you let your kids watch the Hulk punch the brain out of a giant space whale in the avengers then you shouldn't have any issues with Guardians of the Galaxy.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I'm guessing the talking racoon in the commercials might throw off some peoples expectations.

Rocket the Raccoon has some of the darker humor in the show and is really the least kid friendly. He is a very interesting/awesome character though and his bond with Groot is very Han Solo Chewbacca esque

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin

Having watched this movie yesterday at 7:30pm in theaters... I can think of exactly two scenes that this COULD reference and both are easily part of the plot and warranted.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I went into this movie with hesitation and low expectations. I came out thoroughly amused and entertained. That said, for those that have kids under 10, there is violence in this movie so if you can't deal with them seeing violence against faceless aliens... then you are now aware that there is violence so its on you, not the movie creators at this point.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Haven't seen it yet but I read an interview and I guess there are a TON of easter eggs in the collectors place including Howard the Duck.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm guessing the talking racoon in the commercials might throw off some peoples expectations.

My Grandparents took my little brother and a cousin to the south part movie when they were 9 not realizing what it was but they assumed since it was a cartoon it was appropriate for kids. Wow were they ****** next time they better look at the rating.