One of my worst days ever...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Guess you hate your job. And this is not what this dude needs right now.

I get what he's saying, but yeah probably not what the OP wants to hear right now.

I do agree that I work to live, not live to work. However, we all need income and we all want to do something we somewhat enjoy doing.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
HRI is Hospitality/Restaurant right?

If you don't find a job within a few months, I might be able to give you some freelance stuff if you don't mind writing. To help pay some bills. I mainly use writers in the Philippines but their costs are rising almost to the point of American Writers.
I can write good.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Talk to a bunch of recruitment agencies and let them do the job search for you while you enjoy life, I get calls/emails every other day about opportunities and I'm not even looking

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I lost my job a year and a half ago. Took me 6 months and ended up doing something completely outside of my original career field and degree and it was the greatest move I ever made. I moved to a new area and reconnected with some old friends. Sure there were some dark days and questions about whether it was ever going to improve, but stick to the ones you love and rediscover yourself. Think of those you know from your past and don't be afraid to call them and keep an open mind to things you might not have thought of before. Good luck and I'm praying for you.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
My first job loss was a crusher. I had a summer interim job at 17 and I was helping replace ties on the CNW. I was super tan, I had great muscles, and I liked being outdoors. Unfortunately a merger of railroads eliminated the work suddenly when the railroad was bought. Boom. Job gone. I was enjoying that job and I ended up cleaning dust off lamps in the JD Waterloo foundry and trimming xmas trees for the rest of the summer. Darn mergers.

not to mention that pesky John Henry, always challenging you to spike driving competitions. :jimlad:

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
If loosing a job falls under one of the worst days of your life you should consider yourself lucky and that qualification stays. It's just a job man, and if you really need money there is always work out there for people who are willing to work.

People loose their kids, spouses, their cognitive ability, motor functions, etc. This is easier said than done but don't get in a self pity or poor me attitude. A person should never have their happiness based of what their JOB is.

I don't hate my job, I like it a lot. But I would rather spend time with my family, friends, traveling, etc than at a job. When you look back at your life when you are near the end are you going to think... man I wish I would have spent more time at work or more time with friends and family?

Well, there is always the option of not responding to the thread instead of kicking a man when he's down.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
If you're looking up how to brush up your resume and interview skills, may I suggest askamanager.org? She gives really good, practical advice from a hiring manager's perspective.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
Condolences. Same thing happened to me earlier this year. Words of advice. If an outplacement service was offered by your former employer, take advantage of it. They will help you with your resume, search, interview prep, offer negotiations, etc...

As another poster mentioned, the search process has changed a lot since you were last in the market. The placement service can also help you with social media such as LinkedIn. Some of the things they have you do may seem trivial, but the web has made it too easy for people to "apply" for postings. The result is often hundreds of candidates applying. The placement agency will help you stand out as a candidate, and get past some of the filters built into the online application process. Your social media network will be a significant help with your search as well.

Finally, be patient. The process can be a long one and there may be stretches where you are not hearing or seeing much progress in the search process. Be diligent in dedicating time to your search, but also spend time and keep busy with activities outside your job search too. It will minimize your stress level.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I don't hate my job, I like it a lot. But I would rather spend time with my family, friends, traveling, etc than at a job. When you look back at your life when you are near the end are you going to think... man I wish I would have spent more time at work or more time with friends and family?

The problem with this is you have to have money to travel, also to spend time with family and friends. I was given NO severance package, my insurance ends at midnight. I pay child support to an ex-wife, their insurance was from my employment. I also am remarried with two step kids, being the larger source of income in our household, also providing their insurance.

i realize I have it no worse than anyone else that is in my situation but it still sucks. Your words of encouragement ring very shallow to me right now. As some have said my job starts tomorrow looking for a job. I know there is something out there for me, it just will take time. I have complete empathy for anyone who has lost a child, spouse as I cannot equate a job loss to theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesley

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Truclone, good luck on the next chapter of your career. I've been let go before and it is no fun. Take your time find a job you like . Best wishes on your job search.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Don't be afraid to go to a temp agency and be a temp until you find a permanent position. Many companies will use you as a temp for 90 days and "test" you out in a role to see if you are the right fit. It may not be the perfect job, but as a temp you may get into a company you never thought about and end up with a new position, and it will give you a source of income.

As for unemployment, you need to have your ducks in a row when you apply, and be prepared to follow the guidelines. You will have to go through a phone hearing to try to prove your case against your former employer. There a lots of things to consider, but you can win your case if you have everything in order, and have a former employer who doesn't. When I was let go from a job several years ago, I fought and won because my former employer had no leg to stand on, and even better, I was never on the phone for the call.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good luck to you sir. Been laid off once, although the severance was pretty good. As a consultant, I've had a few gigs end sooner than anticipated without notice, so I feel ya. In my case, every single time that happened, I found a better opportunity (role, $) every single time.

Attitude is everything on your next job.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Don't be afraid to go to a temp agency and be a temp until you find a permanent position. Many companies will use you as a temp for 90 days and "test" you out in a role to see if you are the right fit. It may not be the perfect job, but as a temp you may get into a company you never thought about and end up with a new position, and it will give you a source of income.

As for unemployment, you need to have your ducks in a row when you apply, and be prepared to follow the guidelines. You will have to go through a phone hearing to try to prove your case against your former employer. There a lots of things to consider, but you can win your case if you have everything in order, and have a former employer who doesn't. When I was let go from a job several years ago, I fought and won because my former employer had no leg to stand on, and even better, I was never on the phone for the call.

I agree with the temp thing. It may lead you into a permanent position, or if you find a permanent job elsewhere, it doesn't look bad on your work record for leaving the temp position to go work there.

D

Deleted member 8507

I graduated from ISU with BS in HRI. Was in that field for 10 years, since then have managed a few different businesses. The last one I was with (7 1/2 years) was a garage door company in which I was responsible for everything except for doing the actual installs or services work. Sales exceeded 1M every year, which was a result of what I did, I was the salesman also. Thanks everyone for your support, it definitely helps!

Contact Tanya Duncan (from LinkedIn). Sounds like she may have something along your line.
Tanya Duncan
Do you have an inside sales, customer service or account management background in a Mfg/Industrial setting in the Quad City area? We might have a great opportunity for you.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Went through this before I got married 2.5 years ago. I lost my job 6 months before we got married then my fiance got laid off when her company lost a contract 2 months before the wedding. Both landed positions a week after we got married but it was stressful.

My biggest suggestion is take that day or two to unwind and have "me time" while doing some casual searching for jobs. With your area of expertise I'd seek out a non profit to help fund raise for while you are job hunting. The bigger non profits (Red Cross, Putnam and what not) always have board full of community leaders. It also helps fill whatever whole in your resume there may be. That is exactly what I ended up doing and through those connections I made my way down to San Angelo.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
People loose their kids, spouses, their cognitive ability, motor functions, etc. This is easier said than done but don't get in a self pity or poor me attitude. A person should never have their happiness based of what their JOB is.

I don't think the OP defines his happiness based on what his job is. He fairly stated that the day he lost his job was one of the worst days in his life and I believe a lot of people can relate to that.

Losing job is not merely losing job. It affects a lot of things: ability to provide for the family, health insurance, respect, etc. I've seen people losing their jobs resulting in loss of homes/foreclosure, not being able to care for sick family members, divorce, etc.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron