SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Best wishes! I'm sorry about that. :(

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I was apart of a plant closing back in 2006, so needless to say I know what losing a job feels like. Sucks. Probably not the thing you want to hear but it was a blessing in the end. I have a much better job today that I might not have if not for that plant closing.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I graduated from ISU with BS in HRI. Was in that field for 10 years, since then have managed a few different businesses. The last one I was with (7 1/2 years) was a garage door company in which I was responsible for everything except for doing the actual installs or services work. Sales exceeded 1M every year, which was a result of what I did, I was the salesman also. Thanks everyone for your support, it definitely helps!

A couple places I know of that are hiring similar type of skill sets are Rockwell (actually intertrade but look on Rockwell's job page under program management I believe) and PM in CR.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Lost my job in 2008 1 week short of my 1 year anniversary, as a result of the housing crash. Looked for work for 8 mo. with not much luck(everyone was looking for the perfect candidate at the time). Talked my way into contracting with my employer before that and was making crazy money for the next year, working from home. Profesionaly one of the best years of my existence. Had to look for more traditional work when they wanted to hire me back as a full time temp employee because the commute was killing me. It all panned out, and because I went back to my previous employer, I found out that the company I now work for was hiring and had an in because they had a supplier/customer relationship with my old employer. And to be quite honest the time during my unemployment, felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, because in all honesty, I hated my then current job.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It happened to me with my first job out of college. That was big blow to the ego. Those were probably as dark of days as I've ever had. I found a new job after a few months. At the time didn't think much of it, but it gave me some great sales experience and was a great base to springboard me into my current job which I've had for 20 years and hope to retire in.

Everything happens for a reason. Make some Lemonade out of the current Lemon and you'll be just fine!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
So sorry, such a stressful thing. Concur that you should get signed up for unemployment right away. Good luck on the job search.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It happened to me with my first job out of college. That was big blow to the ego. Those were probably as dark of days as I've ever had. I found a new job after a few months. At the time didn't think much of it, but it gave me some great sales experience and was a great base to springboard me into my current job which I've had for 20 years and hope to retire in.

Everything happens for a reason. Make some Lemonade out of the current Lemon and you'll be just fine!

Yea, if this was your first job out of college, it's amazing how different the job search is when you've got a little experience under your belt, at least in my experience. My first job was great training for my new one, and it's something I wouldn't even have thought about doing coming out of school.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
sorry to hear, get on unemployment, start the job hunt, but also give yourself a break before starting a new job. Take some time to do stuff that you want to do.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear the news. I think most people have presented some good options. It sucks, but it is a chance at re-defining your work and life. Freedom!

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Be sure to engage in some kind of employment beyond job searching while you look so you still look like a go-getter...even if it's unpaid volunteer work or mentoring, adjunct instructor at the community college, writing, field hand, something to make you look like the type of person who's willing to work. As you well know, people who hire like that kind of initiative.

This could also be the time to start your own business, if that's ever been a dream of yours.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
HRI is Hospitality/Restaurant right?

If you don't find a job within a few months, I might be able to give you some freelance stuff if you don't mind writing. To help pay some bills. I mainly use writers in the Philippines but their costs are rising almost to the point of American Writers.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I second those that said take a little time, even if just a few days or a week, to just do some stuff you want to do. You may be freaking out right now, but this will help relax you and when you get another job, you may not know when your next chance to do things you really want to do will come about.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Somehow I have managed to survive multiple rif's throughout my working life while seeing others go through it.
My condolences. I pretty much walk into work every day now knowing that it could happen. I doubt that would make it any easier.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
Lost my job today. I know the saying, "one door closes, another opens". Tough to think about that right now...

If loosing a job falls under one of the worst days of your life you should consider yourself lucky and that qualification stays. It's just a job man, and if you really need money there is always work out there for people who are willing to work.

People loose their kids, spouses, their cognitive ability, motor functions, etc. This is easier said than done but don't get in a self pity or poor me attitude. A person should never have their happiness based of what their JOB is.

Reactions: ExCyment

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
If loosing a job falls under one of the worst days of your life you should consider yourself lucky and that qualification stays. It's just a job man, and if you really need money there is always work out there for people who are willing to work.

People loose their kids, spouses, their cognitive ability, motor functions, etc. This is easier said than done but don't get in a self pity or poor me attitude. A person should never have their happiness based of what their JOB is.

Guess you hate your job. And this is not what this dude needs right now.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My first job loss was a crusher. I had a summer interim job at 17 and I was helping replace ties on the CNW. I was super tan, I had great muscles, and I liked being outdoors. Unfortunately a merger of railroads eliminated the work suddenly when the railroad was bought. Boom. Job gone. I was enjoying that job and I ended up cleaning dust off lamps in the JD Waterloo foundry and trimming xmas trees for the rest of the summer. Darn mergers.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
Guess you hate your job. And this is not what this dude needs right now.

I don't hate my job, I like it a lot. But I would rather spend time with my family, friends, traveling, etc than at a job. When you look back at your life when you are near the end are you going to think... man I wish I would have spent more time at work or more time with friends and family?