One of my worst days ever...

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think the OP defines his happiness based on what his job is. He fairly stated that the day he lost his job was one of the worst days in his life and I believe a lot of people can relate to that.

Losing job is not merely losing job. It affects a lot of things: ability to provide for the family, health insurance, respect, etc. I've seen people losing their jobs resulting in loss of homes/foreclosure, not being able to care for sick family members, divorce, etc.

that attitude (displayed in the post you quoted) is stupid. There will always be a way a situation could be worse or someone out there who has it worse than you do. Always. That doesn't mean that your own feelings of sadness, helplessness, anger, whatever aren't valid about things going on in your own life.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Once again, thanks for the support. The sun did rise today and I have had a couple of good contacts already.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Show some sunshine.
Aw, c'mon. I work with words for a living.
(And I have worked with letters and resumes with a few on here as well.)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Once again, thanks for the support. The sun did rise today and I have had a couple of good contacts already.

Sun rising....that reminds me of my jobless time. I was 9 months out of college, and my company closed my plant 2 weeks before 9/11/01, which, if you recall, was also not too far removed from the dot-com bubble burst. Not the best time to be looking for a professional job with not much experience. There were a lot of jobs cancelled after 9/11, and what was left I was fighting for with people with many years of experience.

I ended up moving back home with my parents and I'd go to a friend's house to job hunt online during the day. Another friend would stop in and say hi when he was in the area, and one day he asked me what I did all day. I explained my daily routine, and he re-iterated, "No, but what do you DO all day". I said that I just told him what I did. He finally clarified and asked how I got thru the day without anything to get up for (external motivation of a job to go to). I clarified (as others have said) that getting a job was now my motivator, and that surviving the day was a lot easier than one might think. All it really took was to get up, and keep breathing until you went to bed, and you made it. Beyond that, it might not be a 'good day' or a fun day, but you made it, and that was good enough, some days.

I didn't know it at the time, but it'd come back around...a year or so later, I had found a job, but was working a 2 year degree job and paying student loans on a 4 year degree (but not complaining, just highlighting that you don't always find the perfect solution, sometimes you have to do what you gotta do), and that friend that had asked me about getting thru the day...he and his wife lost a newborn child from a genetic condition.

I took some time one day and baked them a couple loaves of homemade bread (a hobby I picked up to 'make it thru the day' after scouring the job postings) and wrote them a note about what we had talked about, and reminded him that when the situation hit him like a ton of bricks, if he just kept breathing until he went to bed, he would make it thru that day, and that might be good enough for that day.

A couple years later, I had moved away for a job in my major, but I ran into him at another friend's wedding. Both he and his wife independently pulled me aside and said how much that gesture and letter helped them and meant to them.

Sometimes, the "worst" times can be when you cling close to those who care about you (and that doesn't have to be a spouse, or parents, or family...sometimes it's just friends) and you can really see what is important despite the day-to-day grind of job/bills, etc. That's not to say that jobs and bills aren't important...they say that money isn't important to those who have it...but when you lose one, you can cling closer to the things and relationships you do have.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Sun rising....that reminds me of my jobless time. I was 9 months out of college, and my company closed my plant 2 weeks before 9/11/01, which, if you recall, was also not too far removed from the dot-com bubble burst. Not the best time to be looking for a professional job with not much experience. There were a lot of jobs cancelled after 9/11, and what was left I was fighting for with people with many years of experience.

I ended up moving back home with my parents
and I'd go to a friend's house to job hunt online during the day. Another friend would stop in and say hi when he was in the area, and one day he asked me what I did all day. I explained my daily routine, and he re-iterated, "No, but what do you DO all day". I said that I just told him what I did. He finally clarified and asked how I got thru the day without anything to get up for (external motivation of a job to go to). I clarified (as others have said) that getting a job was now my motivator, and that surviving the day was a lot easier than one might think. All it really took was to get up, and keep breathing until you went to bed, and you made it. Beyond that, it might not be a 'good day' or a fun day, but you made it, and that was good enough, some days.

I didn't know it at the time, but it'd come back around...a year or so later, I had found a job, but was working a 2 year degree job and paying student loans on a 4 year degree (but not complaining, just highlighting that you don't always find the perfect solution, sometimes you have to do what you gotta do), and that friend that had asked me about getting thru the day...he and his wife lost a newborn child from a genetic condition.

I took some time one day and baked them a couple loaves of homemade bread (a hobby I picked up to 'make it thru the day' after scouring the job postings) and wrote them a note about what we had talked about, and reminded him that when the situation hit him like a ton of bricks, if he just kept breathing until he went to bed, he would make it thru that day, and that might be good enough for that day.

A couple years later, I had moved away for a job in my major, but I ran into him at another friend's wedding. Both he and his wife independently pulled me aside and said how much that gesture and letter helped them and meant to them.

Sometimes, the "worst" times can be when you cling close to those who care about you (and that doesn't have to be a spouse, or parents, or family...sometimes it's just friends) and you can really see what is important despite the day-to-day grind of job/bills, etc. That's not to say that jobs and bills aren't important...they say that money isn't important to those who have it...but when you lose one, you can cling closer to the things and relationships you do have.

Ok. I have been laid (off), fired, let go, downsized, several times. The last and final via a cell phone call while driving on I85. But, never so low that I moved back in with my parents. Never knew anyone that did.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Ok. I have been laid (off), fired, let go, downsized, several times. The last and final via a cell phone call while driving on I85. But, never so low that I moved back in with my parents. Never knew anyone that did.

Yeah, it sucked, but that's what happens when you're laid off for 9 months after being out of college for only 9 months.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa

I ended up moving back home with my parents and I'd go to a friend's house to job hunt online during the day. Another friend would stop in and say hi when he was in the area, and one day he asked me what I did all day. I explained my daily routine, and he re-iterated, "No, but what do you DO all day". I said that I just told him what I did. He finally clarified and asked how I got thru the day without anything to get up for (external motivation of a job to go to). I clarified (as others have said) that getting a job was now my motivator, and that surviving the day was a lot easier than one might think. All it really took was to get up, and keep breathing until you went to bed, and you made it. Beyond that, it might not be a 'good day' or a fun day, but you made it, and that was good enough, some days.

The Best of times and but the worst of times or conversely the worst of the times, but the best of times. Great story and Zen like moments. Some of my best learning experiences and acts of kindness have been at those moments.

Money and a job isn't everything(it sure greases the wheels however.....).

cyclonebillski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 17, 2007
Council Bluffs
We sure have a lot of judgmental people on here. Do whatever you have to do to get through tough times. I got reduced hrs at home depot during the winter while I went back to school and didn't want to get on unemployment because I thought it was lazy and wasjust something people took advantage of. I tried to pick up odd jobs wherever i could but my wife and I struggled that yr. So the next winter I gladly signed up for unemployment and it took a huge financial and emotional burden off of me and my wife. Whether it be moving in with parents, unemployment, working a job below you for awhile, etc; you just have to do what you can for awhile till you get back on your feet.