Proposed CIML Split

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Leaving sports out of it, I can't imagine how you can argue 700+ per class is very helpful/effective/practical/fair or about a dozen other adjectives.
If you leave sports out of it, the parents of that district wouldn't have anything to complain about in regards to splitting the school.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yeah they only have 3 grades 10-12th and they are still one of the biggest high schools in the state. Split valley and Waukee.

Waukee has plans for a second high school within the next 4-5 years. You keep saying "split" Valley and Waukee, you do realize the state has nothing to do with splitting, it's up to the school district. The state can't force a district to split.

WDM voted in 1998 to either split and turn Southwoods into a 2nd high school, or expand Valley and keep one school. The district overwhelmingly voted to keep one high school.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm from Indianola and I struggle with the same thing. They haven't been competitive in football or basketball in at least 10 years. However, they were capable of winning a state championship in basketball in 2000 and having several teams ranked in the top 5 in the years before and after that. Football has always been tough but they managed to field some competitive teams.

I get that a town the size of Indianola, or Marshalltown for that matter, will have trouble keeping up with the WDM and suburban schools. Their talent pool is bigger and they are better funded. But that was probably the case to in years we've been competitive.

At the same time, after 7-8 years straight of getting our ***** kicked in everything, at some point you just wonder if you belong down a level.

My son played football from 5th to 8th grade, and they were pretty competitive, but they seem to really struggle with numbers once it hits high school. Not sure if it is a coach thing or just the extra commitment required,, but most kids seem to drop out at that point.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Waukee has plans for a second high school within the next 4-5 years. You keep saying "split" Valley and Waukee, you do realize the state has nothing to do with splitting, it's up to the school district. The state can't force a district to split.

WDM voted in 1998 to either split and turn Southwoods into a 2nd high school, or expand Valley and keep one school. The district overwhelmingly voted to keep one high school.
Wasn't there another vote after that as well? Around 2008ish? Or was that just just a thing everyone complained about at that time?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
My son played football from 5th to 8th grade, and they were pretty competitive, but they seem to really struggle with numbers once it hits high school. Not sure if it is a coach thing or just the extra commitment required,, but most kids seem to drop out at that point.

For me it was the time, basketball season was like 5 months

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Valley's enrollment blows my mind. They average 713 students per class. That is pretty close to the enrollment of my entire 9-12 high school... and I went to a 4A school! Strong argument to be made for a Class 5A in Iowa boys sports now.

Problem is it would be Valley and 5 other schools in that class. If you move 12 schools up to a 5A then you have to move X amount up to 4A and you have the same problem.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Problem is it would be Valley and 5 other schools in that class. If you move 12 schools up to a 5A then you have to move X amount up to 4A and you have the same problem.

This. The only reason the girls went to five classes was because that means the Union can rake in a ton more money during volleyball, basketball, and softball playoffs.

TigerCyJM

May 3, 2012
Polk County, IA
Valley's enrollment is flatlining, hasn't grown in like 10 years. I think those numbers may also be including the alternative school, because the graduating class from VHS this year was like 620.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Valley's enrollment is flatlining, hasn't grown in like 10 years. I think those numbers may also be including the alternative school, because the graduating class from VHS this year was like 620.

This, too. Valley stopped growing a long time ago. Waukee is nearly as big and is still skyrocketing. I think I heard they've got something like 800-900 kids per class down in their elementary schools. That's enormous.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
This, too. Valley stopped growing a long time ago. Waukee is nearly as big and is still skyrocketing. I think I heard they've got something like 800-900 kids per class down in their elementary schools. That's enormous.

Waukee is growing, but all the kids who are starting in kindergarten will be in separate high schools. The 2nd high school will be online in 4-5 years. Waukee is currently in the process of securing land for the second high school. Current kindergarten classes are about 750 kids district wide.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How about we just get rid of conferences all together in High School sports? They're such a waste of time and resources.

History, convience, and money are a few reasons why. Especially for hese money bleeding sports (all of them except Fooball/Boys Bball). You have to have conferencs forthe sake of scheduling, you try to get with competitive schools in your general area and that saves you money.

Leaving sports out of it, I can't imagine how you can argue 700+ per class is very helpful/effective/practical/fair or about a dozen other adjectives.

Coming from a school with that size roughly (2400 total) and friends that have been to larger and been to smaller. I'll take the bigger all day every day. The amount of resources to hire the best teachers, get the best tools, the involvement, you can be as big or as small as you want and no one will care. The arts and music departments are amazing (if you're into that). Because of the size, it prepared me for college at a big university. There were a ton, A TON, of people I met that dropped out because ISU was too big and they couldn't handle it. These people were coming from the Baxter's and Andrew High Schools of Iowa. Small 20 or less graduating classes.

Last edited:

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think a lot of it goes back to a lack of success by the team. I went to Hoover (never played football), but I think the situation's probably similar. The football team's bad and you don't want to get killed every game so you don't join the team. Because not a lot of kids are on the team, you don't have the depth necessary to be successful so you lose a lot, which means kids don't join the team. It just keeps feeding on itself.

I'm also disappointed that the football divisions will be staying the way they are. Some great historical rivalries got broken up when they went to districts, and I wish they would go back to having all the city schools play each other in football.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron