Proposed CIML Split

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
Born and raised in Mtown. They have a history in a lot of sports (basketball, baseball, swimming, cross country, volleyball, and golf.) The problem that they are having is there is a huge shift in the demographics of the school. Although, the enrollment has not taken much of a hit, their extra curricular participation is way down, along with their test scores, etc.. The hope for them, is to be more competitive, raise the school spirit, increase participation and crap ton of studies show the extra curricular participation increase those test scores. They have had a revolving door of principals, lately, and this guy is really working hard on getting those test scores and grades up.

Also, living in Waukee school district now. They will have a new hs with 7-8 years.

Please explain

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Really? According to last year's BEDS, Ames had 982 in grades 9-11 in the 12-13 school year. Unless they had about a 300 student increase, I'm not sure they got to 1500.

http://www.ighsau.org/general/1314bedsNumbers.pdf

EDIT: Not that it really matters, since Ames is way too large to drop to 3A.

Ames has had about 1300 students in grades 9 - 12 for many years. Ames High may have dropped in the enrollment rankings since other schools are growing, but the school hasn't shrunk.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
what about 12th grade

The BEDS document only counts students in 9th-11th, as the number of seniors is irrelevant...they won't be there during the next year anyway. If anything, the document should count 8th graders at designated feeder middle/JH schools for a more accurate count.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
As someone who lives around a couple of 3A Districts in Decorah and Howard-Winneshiek (Cresco), the idea of those schools playing against the Ottumwas and Marshalltowns of the world seems a lot less fair than the Ottumwas and Marshalltowns of the world playing the DSM schools.

I don't think you know the level of Marshalltown's suck. I think they had 4 sports all year with winning records, and they weren't above .500 by much. The high school is something like 43% hispanic and 99% of them only play soccer. The enrollment is 1600 but graduating classes are more 300-350.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
This is stupid.

First off, the schedules won't change. Just because Ottumwa joins this conference, they will still play the small 2A and 3A schools, and they will still play the big schools as well.

At the same time, Marshalltown is willing to leave the strongest conference in the state because they feel they don't have a strong enough voice in the CIML. That is like Iowa State leaving the Big 12 for the MAC because they feel they don't have enough say in the Big 12.

If the CIML was giving Marshalltown money, then it would be the same.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
The only sports Mtown cares about is soccer, and sometimes baseball. I think you could cut the football and basketball programs and the collective town would go, 'meh'.

Basketball program has been really strong, top 5 in the state in state tournament appearances. They were tied #1 with Dubuque for most appearances when I was in middle school but I haven't kept up on that stat since, just figure they'd have to be top 5.

Outside of the state runner up year in 2011, football has pretty much sucked for at least 2 decades.

All the best athletes played soccer when I was in high school.

Edit: I just looked it up, Mtown is 2nd in the state in state tournament appearances for basketball with 24, Dubuque Wahlert has 26, Davenport is 3rd with 23.

http://www.iahsaa.org/basketball/2012_BASK_STAT.pdf

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The BEDS document only counts students in 9th-11th, as the number of seniors is irrelevant...they won't be there during the next year anyway. If anything, the document should count 8th graders at designated feeder middle/JH schools for a more accurate count.

Reposting this for clarity as people don't really seem to get it. BEDS numbers are only 9th-11th grade. This way your graduated seniors don't count against you when they are no longer at your school. An unusually large or small class of 12th graders could otherwise skew the numbers when their count is used for classification, which would be the year after they graduate. Using 8th grade numbers would be very difficult for some schools, especially larger districts that don't have neat, direct feeders into certain high schools. Also, freshmen rarely matter when classifying schools for athletic competition. So 9th-11th grade counts are the best option.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Valley's enrollment blows my mind. They average 713 students per class. That is pretty close to the enrollment of my entire 9-12 high school... and I went to a 4A school! Strong argument to be made for a Class 5A in Iowa boys sports now.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah they only have 3 grades 10-12th and they are still one of the biggest high schools in the state. Split valley and Waukee.
Leaving sports out of it, I can't imagine how you can argue 700+ per class is very helpful/effective/practical/fair or about a dozen other adjectives.