Promise Rings

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Sure, I've done ridiculous things. I've worn cold gear tights for entire baseball seasons because the first time I wore them out of necessity, I went 3-for-4 and therefore kept wearing them. But I wasn't dropping 100 bucks or more to do those ridiculous things.

There are simpler ways to say you love someone. Like saying you love someone. People are free to do what they want, and if they like it, fine. But I'm not going to buy a ring every time I get into a serious relationship, just to signify that I'm in a serious relationship.
That's like in baseball I broke 2 fingers one season, so I had a really crazy way of taping my hands up. I continued to do it for 2 more years because the first time i did it I cracked a ball about 400 feet.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The ring tech may not keep someone together, but its a object symbolizing the promise two people are making to each other. It could be anything, your friends boyfriend chose a ring that his girlfriend happens to like. I say good for them. Anything showing commitment from anybody is okay in my book. I respect them for still believing in that kind of stuff.

It is no more or no less significant then any other ring given to another one. Can things change in this relationship that make them break up or grow apart? Yes. Can that still happen if they get engaged or married? YES. Happens all the time.

The ring is a start, and a sweet gesture, if they like then fantastic. The rest takes real commitment, confidence and belief in ones self and another.

To me if your in any relationship there is a commitment to be faithful to one another, thats what the promise ring symbolizes... again its just a symbol that these two are saying they will remain faithful to one another as long as they are in a relationship.

I'm 90 percent positive this is the chick from the original post that was arguing with the OP.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you're ready to get engaged with someone, just do it. Why does it matter what the ring costs? Just get engaged with a less expensive ring.

Promise rings are a joke invented by the jewelry industry to play off the insecurities of idiots.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
If you're ready to get engaged with someone, just do it. Why does it matter what the ring costs? Just get engaged with a less expensive ring.

Promise rings are a joke invented by the jewelry industry to play off the insecurities of idiots.

And bought into by girls who learned 'love' is being given a gift....generally by non-existent fathers who just bought them everything they wanted.

My wife and I dated for 9 years before getting married...5.5 in college and 3.5 after, a casualty of the 2001 recession. We didn't have a promise ring, but admittedly that's because receiving gifts is very low on her love languages.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Really, engagement rings are the same, just with a slightly longer history.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

And bought into by girls who learned 'love' is being given a gift....generally by non-existent fathers who just bought them everything they wanted

Really, engagement rings are the same, just with a slightly longer history.

As is the 3 months salary guideline for engagement rings.

The diamond industry has literally tons of diamonds - including small ones - in storage and the only way to move more of them without affecting the artificially high prices they have groomed over decades is to increase demand. The promise ring was one (failed, I thought, but maybe not entirely) attempt at increasing demand for some of the smaller inventory.

One of my favorite things lately is the huge ad campaign for "chocolate diamonds". They take common unacceptable diamonds due to poor color which would normally be simply used as industrial diamonds and tout them as something unique and desireable and try to get people to pay a premium for them.

If you have time and are interested read up on the diamond industry. Talk about an industry creating a demand - these guys were brilliant at it.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
"I promise that someday I'll think about really being committed to you"?

This. The old "I am making this half-hearted promise that isn't a real commitment but I swear I'll make a real commitment to you later down the road because I have no intention of being committed to you now" trick.

It's a non-committal move to prove that you want to commit later? Dumbest idea ever.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I have thought about them in a few different ways.

1. A high school couple who know they want to be committed, but decide they need to wait. They just want something to symbolize it (like they used to do with the letter jacket or going steady)

2. Maybe a college age couple who can't afford something better (which I don't think makes sense since they can be similar in price)

3. The promise or purity rings some dads give to their daughters....

I don't think it's a stupid idea, but sometimes it does seem redundant.

I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
They only cost like $30 to $50, they are good for Christmas presents. Chicks dig rings, shopping check list complete, shopping over with and done now back to football and basketball season. Everybody wins.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I bought my wife a ring in college before we were engaged. I think it was like $50 and had a small ruby in it. I didn't really have $2,000 bucks for an engagement ring back then. Throughout that time I saved and presented her with an actual engagement ring the day she graduated. Was it a promise ring? I don't know. Was it a symbol that I loved her? Yes.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.

For the same reason there are people that thinking pushing abstinence-only sex education is a good idea, and I'm sure it's pretty much the same people pulling this crap with their kids.

Reactions: cyrevkah