Promise Rings

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
For the same reason there are people that thinking pushing abstinence-only sex education is a good idea, and I'm sure it's pretty much the same people pulling this crap with their kids.

Yikes. That seems like such a terrible, oppressive idea that is pretty much sure to make a child rebel. Arm them with info, and they can make an actual decision. :no:

Two words on abstinence-only ed: Bristol Palin

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yikes. That seems like such a terrible, oppressive idea that is pretty much sure to make a child rebel. Arm them with info, and they can make an actual decision. :no:

Two words on abstinence-only ed: Bristol Palin

I agree. The whole thing has this creepy feel of protecting your daughter's property value so she can fetch a high dowry when the time is right. It also seems brainwash-y and abusive. Just ugly all around.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
As is the 3 months salary guideline for engagement rings.

The diamond industry has literally tons of diamonds - including small ones - in storage and the only way to move more of them without affecting the artificially high prices they have groomed over decades is to increase demand. The promise ring was one (failed, I thought, but maybe not entirely) attempt at increasing demand for some of the smaller inventory.

One of my favorite things lately is the huge ad campaign for "chocolate diamonds". They take common unacceptable diamonds due to poor color which would normally be simply used as industrial diamonds and tout them as something unique and desireable and try to get people to pay a premium for them.

If you have time and are interested read up on the diamond industry. Talk about an industry creating a demand - these guys were brilliant at it.

Yeah, I didn't get anywhere near that and her rings are still pretty sparkly.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The only reason I could see buying one is to get some, and this is the only way to prove your love. :wink:

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
As is the 3 months salary guideline for engagement rings.

The diamond industry has literally tons of diamonds - including small ones - in storage and the only way to move more of them without affecting the artificially high prices they have groomed over decades is to increase demand. The promise ring was one (failed, I thought, but maybe not entirely) attempt at increasing demand for some of the smaller inventory.

One of my favorite things lately is the huge ad campaign for "chocolate diamonds". They take common unacceptable diamonds due to poor color which would normally be simply used as industrial diamonds and tout them as something unique and desireable and try to get people to pay a premium for them.

If you have time and are interested read up on the diamond industry. Talk about an industry creating a demand - these guys were brilliant at it.

I'm not trying to brag about my pay or anything, but my wife's engagement ring is a REALLY nice diamond, and it wasn't 3 months salary! :twitcy:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I always kind of thought the 3 months thing was more to give you a chance to think hard about marriage.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
This is a thing? that seems really creepy to me.

I think it depends on the family. I've only really heard about it for some Christian circles. It's supposed to be a promise to her parents or dad.... I have no idea if people still do that or what the circumstances would be.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.

I don't remember if it's a dad/daughter promise or parental....It could be just the girl's idea too. I remember hearing about it a lot during high school. At the time I thought it was a promise to the parents....

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I agree. The whole thing has this creepy feel of protecting your daughter's property value so she can fetch a high dowry when the time is right. It also seems brainwash-y and abusive. Just ugly all around.

As far as abusive/oppressive/brainwash-y I think it depends on how the parents go about it. When I was in high school it was more 'the thing to do' or at least talk about with the daughter. The girl could always not agree/promise..... or they go ahead and break it anyway (nothing is stopping them).

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I don't think I've heard of dads giving their daughters purity/promise rings. Is it like when a girl gets her own purity ring to promise to stay a virgin? Why would a dad get involved in that decision? That seems really creepy, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think that the idea of a promise ring is necessary, overall. I don't really get why a college couple would do it, just wait until you have money for the real thing? My husband was going to get me one, told one of his female friends about it, and she explained to him that it was pretty insulting to do at 24 years old.

I do think that parents (both mothers and fathers) should talk to their children about sex. Not guiding a teenager or at least talking with them about sex is foolish as they are full of hormones with little impulse control or skills to function in a serious relationship. Kids are becoming incredibly promiscuous at younger ages and it is not healthy. As far as a promise ring, they are a waste of time and money. I was young and bought one at Ames Silversmithing for my girlfriend about 20 years ago. I am sure she got a pretty penny for it at the pawn shop, but I guess it was a lot cheaper than a divorce.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I do think that parents (both mothers and fathers) should talk to their children about sex. Not guiding a teenager or at least talking with them about sex is foolish as they are full of hormones with little impulse control or skills to function in a serious relationship. Kids are becoming incredibly promiscuous at younger ages and it is not healthy. As far as a promise ring, they are a waste of time and money. I was young and bought one at Ames Silversmithing for my girlfriend about 20 years ago. I am sure she got a pretty penny for it at the pawn shop, but I guess it was a lot cheaper than a divorce.
I agree parents should talk to their kids about sex, but I disagree that my generation is much more promiscuous than previous ones, and apparently research (or at least 2009 research) agrees with me. I agree it feels that way, but I think that has more to do with how media handles it than what is actually happening.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27well.html?_r=0

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I think talking about it is smart, too. It not only has an important discussion with kids that helps educate them and teach them WHY they should wait and/or be careful (which to me ultimately does more good than a chastity ring, because it comes from a place of communication). It also fosters good communication with your kids, and lets them know that they can come to you if they need birth control, help, etc. It's impractical to think no kids are going to have sex, but we can help make it smarter by just talking to them.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I don't think my parents ever had "the talk" with me or my brother. I have no recollection of it, anyhow.

I think they just assumed that there was enough "out there" that you catch on pretty damn fast what sex is, and what the consequences of it can be.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't think my parents ever had "the talk" with me or my brother. I have no recollection of it, anyhow.

I think they just assumed that there was enough "out there" that you catch on pretty damn fast what sex is, and what the consequences of it can be.

I wonder if some of that is having a boy vs. having a girl, too? With a girl, you have to worry about periods (and you can't just let them guess on that), and there's a little more of a life change if they get pregnant early. I know my parents gave me "the talk" pretty early, just because of those two factors.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
As far as abusive/oppressive/brainwash-y I think it depends on how the parents go about it. When I was in high school it was more 'the thing to do' or at least talk about with the daughter. The girl could always not agree/promise..... or they go ahead and break it anyway (nothing is stopping them).

I guess the only context in which I ever heard about those purity covenants was really conservative small towns or really tight-knit conservative church groups, where the girls were basically pressured by peers and elders to participate in the pledge or get ostracized for being a "slut".

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My roommate got one for his gf awhile back. To mean it means a few different things:

1. We ARENT taking it to the next level.

2. You are now my whipped bf.

3. You arent getting rid of me. Ever.

They are the dumbest thing ever.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I wonder if some of that is having a boy vs. having a girl, too? With a girl, you have to worry about periods (and you can't just let them guess on that), and there's a little more of a life change if they get pregnant early. I know my parents gave me "the talk" pretty early, just because of those two factors.

Or as my former co-worker once put it..."with a boy, you gotta worry about one *****, with a girl, you gotta worry about all of them".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron