Promise Rings

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just got in a debate with a friend on promise rings. She just recently got one from her boyfriend, who actually spent decent money on it, and she thinks that they're a good idea.

I think they're stupid. Why be in a relationship if you aren't going to try and make it work with that person? If you and your significant other get in a bad fight, is that ring really going to make you two stay together? Plus, why not save the money for an engagement ring in the future if you are THAT serious about a promise ring?

I know of a few people who had them in HS, and I just figured it was a phase, but actual college couples are doing it, too? C'mon man.

What do you think? Are they a cool idea, or stupid idea?

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I have thought about them in a few different ways.

1. A high school couple who know they want to be committed, but decide they need to wait. They just want something to symbolize it (like they used to do with the letter jacket or going steady)

2. Maybe a college age couple who can't afford something better (which I don't think makes sense since they can be similar in price)

3. The promise or purity rings some dads give to their daughters....

I don't think it's a stupid idea, but sometimes it does seem redundant.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Just got in a debate with a friend on promise rings. She just recently got one from her boyfriend, who actually spent decent money on it, and she thinks that they're a good idea.

I think they're stupid. Why be in a relationship if you aren't going to try and make it work with that person? If you and your significant other get in a bad fight, is that ring really going to make you two stay together? Plus, why not save the money for an engagement ring in the future if you are THAT serious about a promise ring?

I know of a few people who had them in HS, and I just figured it was a phase, but actual college couples are doing it, too? C'mon man.

Is she 14? Because if she's older than that, it's stupid.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I think they're stupid, but I also only think of people using them as high schoolers or young college students. I just don't think they're necessary. It's really stupid when you're young and just starting to date because in general those relationships don't last and it's dumb to put a lot of significance on them. After that it's stupid because you're either dating for fun, or to find Mr./Ms. Right. Breaking up with someone after a serious relationship is already difficult, why add pressure to that in the form of a promise ring?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
If you feel you MUST get her a ring that isn't an engagement ring, just get her a ring with hers or your birthstone. Don't spend money on an overpriced tiny little diamond.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
If it's because you won't have the money for a real ring for a long time, I might understand it. Otherwise it's the dumbest thing ever.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I bought one once. She asked for one because she kept getting hit on. I got one off of Etsy for $30 handmade and looked good. Didn't stop her from getting hit on and she eventually cheated on me anyway.

**** em

Broke up two years ago and whenever I see her randomly, she's wearing it too. That seems weird to me

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
They're good for college relationships. An engagement ring is something that she will wear (hopefully) for the rest of her life. Why wouldn't you wait until you're employed to purchase that? This is a way to essentially get engaged without buying the expensive ring.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
In general I think they are stupid. HOWEVER... my younger brother gave one to his girlfriend when she was going to be studying abroad for a semester... gotta get some sorta ring on her before she is hanging out with a bunch of Italian guys.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Honestly, you could make the same argument for getting an engagement ring instead of just slapping a wedding band on that finger.

That said, I think promise rings are stupid.