Rhoads' comments on the dismissal of David Irving

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm intrigued by this Trent Taylor kid coming in. He was a very highly recruited kid out of HS that went to Tennessee. I would think he could be as good or better than Coe or Irving probably.

He isn't a better option than Coe would have been. Irving wasn't in Coe's league either though. Coe completely changes this defense if he would have made it to next fall. I can not overstate how big he was to lose. He had played the position for a season and was very good at the end of the year.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Exactly my point. Not many to admire, respect nor pattern yourself after.

I'm a grown adult, why the hell would I want to pattern myself after anyone? Damned self confidence isn't allowing me to understand your argument here.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
A whole lot of "waking up" in this thread

Wake me when it's over

Since it ain't over till it's over how will we know when to wake you? Tell, you what, I am setting my alarm for December when hoops start in earnest and I'll give you a call!

:smile:

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Yeah, don't care. I'm not going to anonymously lie and act like anything outside of the results on Saturday afternoons really matters to me when it comes down to it.

cool_story_bro1.jpg

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
He isn't a better option than Coe would have been. Irving wasn't in Coe's league either though. Coe completely changes this defense if he would have made it to next fall. I can not overstate how big he was to lose. He had played the position for a season and was very good at the end of the year.

This. Not sure why some are trying to play his departure down, we had a different product on the field when he was out there.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Good job Rhoads! Well said.

Yes, it hurts this defense really bad, but that's David's fault not Rhoads'. David didn't give Paul any other choice. It's too bad, but Rhoads has to demand that his players show better character.

Glad he had the guts to kick both Coe and Irving off the team. It wouldn't have happened over in IC, I can guarantee you that. It would have been handled "internally" and they both would still be on the team.

:v_SPIN:

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Was told by 2 players that the offense used "maybe 5 percent of its playbook" today. Take it FWIW

Totally believable. But it was a little disheartening that we didn't seem to run 5 percent of our playbook all that well or effectively either...take that fwiw as well.

How about that formation with three down lineman and three guys split out to each side of the QB/RB? I got a kick out of that.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I for one will take integrity over having a this type of player any day. I don't care what some of u say about wanting wins. If u want that type of program go somewhere else.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
If Irving, or Coe, or any player for that matter are not smart enough to realize when they have been given a second chance, and they are not smart enough to understand the type of behavior that will get them into trouble, then they are the ones letting themselves, the coaches, the team and the fans down. They don't deserve to be allowed to keep their scholarship and represent ISU if they can't do what the coaches tell them to do.

I'm really surprised so many on here seem to have difficulty understanding that. Fred takes some chances with some players on the MBB team, but it is a smaller group of players and they can be monitored a little more closely, plus you are dealing with different personalities on the MBB coaching staff than on the Football coaching staff. So far it has worked well for Fred. Rhoads, unfortunately, has not had as good of luck with some troubled players, or maybe it is just the nature of football versus other sports. Still....when players get out of line like this and blow their second or third chances, you have to end the relationship because they are not getting it. So, you have to make an example of them or risk losing even more of your team. Yeah, it hurts the team, but it is not Rhoads fault, unless there was something more that he could have done to prevent it, which I don't believe there was.

Bottom line.....Irving was not thinking about his coaches, teammates, or the fans when he was out there acting like an idiot helping tear down a light post and holding a stop sign. That was just dumb on his part. Really, really dumb.

Last edited:

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
If Veishea is allowed next year it is worth it as a message to future morons. Besides, didn't Irving get arrested last fall?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah, don't care. I'm not going to anonymously lie and act like anything outside of the results on Saturday afternoons really matters to me when it comes down to it.

I really hope you find a lovely winning program to follow that gives your life meaning. SEC is always looking for "fans" like you.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I for one will take integrity over having a this type of player any day. I don't care what some of u say about wanting wins. If u want that type of program go somewhere else.

I really hope our fan base is made up of WAY more guys like you then CYphi.....

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

It matters to me. I'm not an alum or a current student...but I'm someone who has called ISU home for the last 30 years as an employee. I love this University, and I want it to be respected. I want the people who represent us on the national and international fronts, academically AND athletically, to represent us in a manner that reflects well on the University. I'm sorry for you that you don't care about anything but winning. There's much more to life than winning a game on Saturday afternoon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron