Wednesday OT - How musically inclined are you?

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Taken lessons? Wish you had? Can't carry a tune in a bucket?

I took 8 years of piano, first through eighth grade, 8 years of flute, fourth through senior year in HS, officially took 4 years of choir in school (3 in junior high, 1 in HS) But when I wasn't in choir, I did participate in the school musicals and church choir.

Wish I could take more piano lessons. And I would have played my flute more probably if I hadn't gone to a college with no football team, which meant no marching band.

:sad:

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I'd say I'm pretty inclined, not as much as I was through MS and HS, but still pretty good. I was All-State in band for 8th grade. Through high school I was always pressured by my director to try out for All-State but I never really had the initiative to go for it. Just did honor bands here and there, along who solo and group contest type stuff. I did marching band, pep band, jazz band, all that stuff.

On top of that I play drums, used to jam with some high school buddies, played a couple of local events, but that fizzled out once we went to college. I've played some drums at church as well. Still like playing them whenever I go home.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I took piano for 10 years but never learned to read music. I ca hear something and play it back pretty well. In 8th grade I switched to drums and and guitar because you don't need sheet music for those really. I never understood why horn players needed sheet music!

So I'm pretty musically inclined.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I play either trumpet or French horn almost every night of the week. Come to Ballet Des Moines' performance of Cinderella this weekend, I'll be in the pit.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Mods please change thread title to "Wednesday OT - How big of a Band Nerd Are You" or "Wednesday OT - Should the Pep Band do Chants During BBall Games?"...as I can already see where this is going. :twitcy:

Reactions: Agclone91

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Very, though its been quite awhile since i played.

I did 4-5 years of piano lessons when i was younger, followed by playing trumpet all the way through college both in the ISU marching\basketball band and drum corps, and did the choir thing all the way up through soph year of college as well.

These days my only musical performing is the random karaoke night after seaveral drinks. :twitcy:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I played piano for about 5 years, then decided I wanted to spend my spare time playing basketball rather than piano. I have a keyboard that I'll pull around around Xmas to play some Christmas carols. I like to dabble on the guitar a bit. I'm not really trained or good, but I can knock out California Stars good enough.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I don't like to hear myself, but apparently to others I sound good enough to pay to sing at weddings and funerals. I can plunk on the piano and dabble in brass instruments.
Won "Outstanding performer" award my jr year of high school with a perfect score at contest and was invited to perform at ISU's showcase of that.
Was the only one in my class to make the Wartburg Choir on first audition of my frosh year (also played football) and got to tour Europe 3 times because of it. Had a nice little music scholarship to help me through college.
Was selected as a soloist several times at honor choirs in HS including the Dorian festival at Luther.
Still sing quite a bit and won the "Princess Pop star" on a cruise a few years ago but haven't done any competitions in a long long time. I still love to sing and it is fun to hear my girls start to pick up on it. My oldest (8) will be a nice role player but my 5 year old has an incredibly awesome voice and I am started to hear glimpses of that with my 2 year old
Funny thing is I was an average at best football player but make a ton more money coaching and helping at camps now than I even come close to making as a singer

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I took piano for 10 years but never learned to read music. I ca hear something and play it back pretty well. In 8th grade I switched to drums and and guitar because you don't need sheet music for those really. I never understood why horn players needed sheet music!

So I'm pretty musically inclined.

Lol, how can you take piano lessons for 10 years and not know how to read music?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My mother held a BA in Music (voice emphasis), so let's just say I've been steeped in all kinds of music since before birth. I started singing in the children's choirs at church with my older sisters when I was three...I've pretty much been in some sort of choir ever since, did a lot of solos in my day, and was at one time the "on-call" for local funeral homes when families wanted a soloist but didn't have a personal friend/acquaintance to ask.

Took piano from age 5 to age 12. I quit when my married teacher (who played at my church) ran off with the (also married) lead tenor in the choir. *gasp!* QUITE the scandal back in those days! Other than a substitute gig pounding out chord progressions in high school stage band when the regular pianist broke her wrist, I have rarely played in public. I was fine on my own, but if anyone was listening, my fingers became all thumbs. I sold my piano a few years back when arthritis made it too difficult to play without pain...removed the temptation for me. I miss it, badly.

I also played cello (badly) for one year, fifth grade. That sucker was almost bigger than I was, and I had to carry it to school! Then we moved to a region where they had band but no orchestra, and I had to give it up. Try to imagine my disappointment...

Last edited:

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
My music experience includes playing the recorder in 4th grade and playing the trombone for one year in fifth grade, then I quit because the teacher sucked and band wasn't cool.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I took piano lessons for about 4 years as a kid, then taught myself to play guitar at 14. I can read music somewhat as it relates to piano, but I almost never do with guitar as I learned all the chords, and just play off of chord charts or tabs (which isn't really reading music). I can play pretty much any string instrument to an extent. I have a mandolin as well as two guitars. I'm an average singer - I'm decent when I'm drunk and mediocre when sober.

I wish I spent more time with piano though.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm an aggressively average trombone player who somehow bluffed his way through band/marching band/pep band all the way through his senior year of college.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've been playing the harmonica (or harp as we blues guys call em) for 30+ years. Not near as good as Bob Dorr though.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I can pass any song on hard on drums, guitar, bass or vocals on rock band 1, 2, 3, and Beatles and probably about 3/4 of the songs on expert.