***Beer Thread***

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
How would you compare the Zombie Dust to Psuedo Sue?

I've not had a Zombie Dust yet. While I was at the brewery picking it up I had 3 beers but I didn't want to try zombie dust since I bought a case and 1/2 of it. The 3 beers were all excellent. War Mullet, DreadNaught, and Alpha King. Alpha King was my favorite but all were 4 stars or above in my book. I need to try PseudoSue again because the first time I had it I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would.

Also heard some great things about Ballist Point Sculpin so I can't wait to try that. Also picked up a 4 pack of Furious since I rarely go to Minnesota.

Last edited:

is09span

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
I've not had a Zombie Dust yet. While I was at the brewery picking it up I had 3 beers but I didn't want to try zombie dust since I bought a case and 1/2 of it. The 3 beers were all excellent. War Mullet, DreadNaught, and Alpha King. Alpha King was my favorite but all were 4 stars or above in my book. I need to try PseudoSue again because the first time I had it I didn't fall in love with it like I thought I would.

Also heard some great things about Ballist Point Sculpin so I can't wait to try that. Also picked up a 4 pack of Furious since I rarely go to Minnesota.

I could drink Alpha King every day. So good. Furious is also phenomenal. I picked up some Spiteful Brewing Diggable IPA, a citra and galaxy hopped IPA. Almost more excited about that one than the ZD.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Sculpin is great. Reminds me a lot of Two Hearted.

My wife and I stopped in at Surly's brewhouse last weekend and because she brought a bunch of Toppling Goliath for the staff, we got a personal tour of the brewery, drank for free, and free 4 packs of Abrasive and Cynicale. The two breweries have a really good rapport and it's pretty common for employees (my wife works at Toppling Goliath) of one to visit the other and bring beer for the employees.

IMAG0229_zpsyppqc41r.jpg

IMAG0228_zps57fbikah.jpg

IMAG0226_zpsks5tg0bx.jpg

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I'll probably get run out of here by the beer snobs for asking this, but has anyone tried the new Busch Copper Lager yet?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I did get to experience 2 Binny's stores. Pretty good selection but I probably prefer Lukas in KC (Missouri one). Surprised I couldn't find any AleSmith Speedway Stout or Mikeller Beer Geek. My overall experience with customer service in Chicago is seriously lacking compared to Minneapolis and KC.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll probably get run out of here by the beer snobs for asking this, but has anyone tried the new Busch Copper Lager yet?

I read online that it's by far the best Busch you can buy. I'll have to try one out the next time I see it. Hopefully they sell it in singles.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

When a Big 3 brewery puts out an attempt at good beer, I usually try it. Things like Coors Batch #19 and Budweiser Gold Crown are generally decent and pretty drinkable. The problem is that they're priced closer to a craft beer than a regular beer. I'd drink stuff like that over the light versions.

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
I did get to experience 2 Binny's stores. Pretty good selection but I probably prefer Lukas in KC (Missouri one). Surprised I couldn't find any AleSmith Speedway Stout or Mikeller Beer Geek. My overall experience with customer service in Chicago is seriously lacking compared to Minneapolis and KC.

AleSmith is only availble to the Western & Northwest distributors in IL, not available in Chicago unfortunately. When I'm in Rockford to visit the inlaws I can find Speedway Stout pretty easily. I'm not sure how far south & west they go but calling around in Rock Falls/Sterling might allow you to find it off of I-88 for future visits.

Just picked up some Chocolate Ale, Maine Beer Lunch, & a new local Citra IPA (Spiteful Diggable) last night.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Here are some that I picked up. The Hoppin Frog and Pipeworks are ones I've never heard of so I hope they are good. The Dogfish stout has something like 18% ABV.

I was going to pick up some Central Waters but then I remembered that they will be selling Iowa within the next couple of weeks.

Nice haul. Hope you have a fresher batch of Sucks. I just finished off my sixer of that from early/mid January and could really tell it was starting to go. When fresh, one of my favorites though.

Besides the 3F, awesome calls on the Wookey Jack and World Wide Stout. I live in Ankeny if you need any help with these. Will even put on a Cyclone shirt for ya. :wink:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Nice haul. Hope you have a fresher batch of Sucks. I just finished off my sixer of that from early/mid January and could really tell it was starting to go. When fresh, one of my favorites though.

Besides the 3F, awesome calls on the Wookey Jack and World Wide Stout. I live in Ankeny if you need any help with these. Will even put on a Cyclone shirt for ya. :wink:

Nice haul? Thats a great haul! World Wide Stout can sit in your closet for YEARS. At 18%, that beer was made to age. I actually had one last night at work and it was delicious fresh. Wookey Jack is one of my favorite BIPAs and one of my favorite beers. Both Pipeworks are solid too. Blood of the Unicorn is an excellent Imperial Red and any of the "Ninja" series IPAs are top notch in my book.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
How would you compare the Zombie Dust to Psuedo Sue?

I think they are very similar, both are a completely Citra hopped APAs. I honestly would probably rather have the Pseudo, although it has been pushing half a year since I have had ZD. I have read somewhere that some are saying the last few batches of ZD have been a little off (although you hear that with about everything after it becomes very popular). Would love to pick some more up and decide for myself.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think they are very similar, both are a completely Citra hopped APAs. I honestly would probably rather have the Pseudo, although it has been pushing half a year since I have had ZD. I have read somewhere that some are saying the last few batches of ZD have been a little off (although you hear that with about everything after it becomes very popular). Would love to pick some more up and decide for myself.

Definitely, although I think it did actually happen with Hopslam, but that could be more to do with the fact that they change the recipe up every year and some years just don't hit as well as others.

It's pretty common for folks from Chicago to stop in at Toppling Goliath and make the ZD comparison. I've heard more than a few of them refer to PsuedoSue as the "Zombie killer".

Speaking of Hopslam, what's the consensus on 2014? I've had one at tap (at Es Tas before the OU game) and enjoyed it; probably more than last year. Haven't had any in bottles, and I'm probably past the freshest point for it, but when it's costing damn near $20/6 pack, it just isn't worth it anymore.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Picked up three sixers last night...

Odell Runoff Red IPA
Abita Mardi Gras Bock
Sonoran White Chocolate Ale--for the wife

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Speaking of Hopslam, what's the consensus on 2014? I've had one at tap (at Es Tas before the OU game) and enjoyed it; probably more than last year. Haven't had any in bottles, and I'm probably past the freshest point for it, but when it's costing damn near $20/6 pack, it just isn't worth it anymore.

I had it in 2013 for the first time and thought it was just ok. I really liked it this year.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Agree. '14 is on point.

I agree also. '14 is much better than '13, and on par with what '12 was (I noticed more Simcoe in this year's compared to the '13). I never had anything prior to '12, so cannot say how much it has dropped in quality since then, but overall, I really enjoy it for a DIPA.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
AleSmith is only availble to the Western & Northwest distributors in IL, not available in Chicago unfortunately. When I'm in Rockford to visit the inlaws I can find Speedway Stout pretty easily. I'm not sure how far south & west they go but calling around in Rock Falls/Sterling might allow you to find it off of I-88 for future visits.

Just picked up some Chocolate Ale, Maine Beer Lunch, & a new local Citra IPA (Spiteful Diggable) last night.

Maine Beer is phenomenal. Their Zoe is a great beer as well. I got a few in a beer trade with a guy from Connecticut who frequents another message board that I frequent. He's sent me Maine Beer and Thomas Hooker Liberator (regarded as one of America's 10 best beers). I send him Surly and Toppling Goliath. Everyone's happy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron