***Beer Thread***

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Exile pumps out some solid German Style beer. Any other Iowa brewery that pumps out as good as German Style than Exile? Exile is much better than what Backpocket puts out in German Style brews.

No. Just no.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'll break up this fight, I haven't had anything from Exile or Backpocket that I thought was very good.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
New Belgium rampant imperial IPA is good, nice finish not to bitter in the end because of the peach tones in the beer. I have to wait for my Oval Office honey amber for at least another month, hope it's good.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Anyone have experience growing their own hops? Going to get a cascade rhizome. Have a good area for growing, was just wondering.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Guiness Foreign Extra and Draught.

Toured their old distillery operation in Dublin last week after hitting up the Jameson Irish whiskey facility. Both started back in the 1700s.

Checked out the Irish red barley, Wichlow Mountain water, special yeast from 1780, high quality hops, triple distillation, metal/oak casks, 18 year aging. Yum, good stuff.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Anyone have experience growing their own hops? Going to get a cascade rhizome. Have a good area for growing, was just wondering.

Looks like hops grow fifteen feet high and can be grown in several parts of the world. Hope you have a ladder.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yep! I started my own Cascade last year. I brewed a fresh hop black IPA with my first year crop, which was probably the best beer I've made. I live in an apartment and have a balcony so my options were quite limited on how to grow it. I followed this guy's brilliant plan: Guide to growing your own hops in a container with trellis | North Carolina Home Brewing. I got my Cascade rhizome from Arrowhead Hops ». I want to say he's out of Madrid. He's also a poster on here -- View Profile: Clonebydesign - CycloneFanatic. If you have any questions, you can PM me, or I'm sure Andy from Arrowhead would answer questions for you too, and he knows a lot more than me.

If you want an in-depth look at hops, check out this book. I'm in the middle of it now. For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops (Brewing Elements): Stan Hieronymus: 9781938469015: Amazon.com: Books

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just got back from Indiana/Illinois. Got two cases of Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and a bunch of stuff that's not available in Iowa yet. Crazy how busy that little brewery is. I actually had to stand in a line to sit at the bar at 3pm on a Wednesday.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
Yep! I started my own Cascade last year. I brewed a fresh hop black IPA with my first year crop, which was probably the best beer I've made. I live in an apartment and have a balcony so my options were quite limited on how to grow it. I followed this guy's brilliant plan: Guide to growing your own hops in a container with trellis | North Carolina Home Brewing. I got my Cascade rhizome from Arrowhead Hops ». I want to say he's out of Madrid. He's also a poster on here -- View Profile: Clonebydesign - CycloneFanatic. If you have any questions, you can PM me, or I'm sure Andy from Arrowhead would answer questions for you too, and he knows a lot more than me.

If you want an in-depth look at hops, check out this book. I'm in the middle of it now. For The Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops (Brewing Elements): Stan Hieronymus: 9781938469015: Amazon.com: Books

Did somebody say hops and beer? The farm is outside of Madrid but I live in Ames.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Here are some that I picked up. The Hoppin Frog and Pipeworks are ones I've never heard of so I hope they are good. The Dogfish stout has something like 18% ABV.

I was going to pick up some Central Waters but then I remembered that they will be selling Iowa within the next couple of weeks.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Exile pumps out some solid German Style beer. Any other Iowa brewery that pumps out as good as German Style than Exile? Exile is much better than what Backpocket puts out in German Style brews.

No it's not.

Millstream and Backpocket both make superior German beers to Exile.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Here are some that I picked up. The Hoppin Frog and Pipeworks are ones I've never heard of so I hope they are good. The Dogfish stout has something like 18% ABV.

I was going to pick up some Central Waters but then I remembered that they will be selling Iowa within the next couple of weeks.

How would you compare the Zombie Dust to Psuedo Sue?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Got some Lucky Bucket IPAs to enjoy tonight. Today is my Friday. #YEEYEE*

*I am probably one of the few to say YEE YEE and IPA in the same sentence, maybe the only one

is09span

Jan 19, 2010
Ames

I picked up some Zombie Dust today too for the first time. I am pumped to try it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron