***Beer Thread***

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had it in 2013 for the first time and thought it was just ok. I really liked it this year.

I think 2009 was my first experience with Hopslam, and it blew my doors off.

2013 was the first year it seemed "meh" to me. Wasn't sure if that was more due to a change in the beer, or if I had just gotten used to really good DIPAs being available for frequently, but the consensus seems to be that '13 was a down year and '14 is a return to form.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I still hope I'll see some Hopslam on shelves somewhere. Haven't gone out looking especially for it, but haven't seen any lately :twitcy:

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Smokestack isn't going anywhere. Duvel has done a great job stewarding Ommegang.

I didn't realize that Ommegang was owned by Duvel. I just picked up some of their Witte this past weekend and was very impressed. I enjoyed its subtlety...white/wheat beers can be very hit or miss as some brewers really overdo the fruit and spice.

is09span

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Drinking the ZD right now. Fantastic beer, but I still like PseudoSue better. Sue has more aroma and a little more grapefruit flavor. These ZDs won't last very long though.....

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Picked up a sixer at cyclone, squatters beer double IPA hop rising abc 9 percent. Good stuff from Utah brewing.

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good place to find Toppling Goliath bottles off Hwy 20 as I make my way home to NW IA? Their site locator hasn't been updated & only shows a few bars. Have had it once on draft & would love to bring some Pseudo Sue back with me next time. Thanks in advance!

is09span

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
Can anyone recommend a good place to find Toppling Goliath bottles off Hwy 20 as I make my way home to NW IA? Their site locator hasn't been updated & only shows a few bars. Have had it once on draft & would love to bring some Pseudo Sue back with me next time. Thanks in advance!

You gotta time it right. The bottles only last for a few hours on most shelves. They deliver to a HyVee in Waterloo I think? I think your best bet is to go out of your way up to the Brewpub. Follow them on Facebook or Twitter to see when and where they are doing deliveries.

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
You gotta time it right. The bottles only last for a few hours on most shelves. They deliver to a HyVee in Waterloo I think? I think your best bet is to go out of your way up to the Brewpub. Follow them on Facebook or Twitter to see when and where they are doing deliveries.

Thanks for the info. If it's that hard I doubt my schedule will match up so I may just have a friend in Cedar Rapids keep his eyes open for it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Hy-Vee Wine & Spirits in Cedar Falls usually carries it.

Having a Busch Signature Lager right now. For what it is, it's honestly pretty good. Will be an option, along with Grain Belt, for those situations where you want quantity over quality.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Sorry if this has been brought up before:

Busch Copper Lager. Anyone try it yet? I'm intrigued. Normally I consider Busch Light to be **** water, and will only drink it if someone gives me one to be polite.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Sorry if this has been brought up before:

Busch Copper Lager. Anyone try it yet? I'm intrigued. Normally I consider Busch Light to be **** water, and will only drink it if someone gives me one to be polite.
It was discussed a couple of pages back. General concensus is that it's surprisingly good.

I myself prefer Busch Light, but I'm not really a beer snob.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
It was discussed a couple of pages back. General concensus is that it's surprisingly good.

I myself prefer Busch Light, but I'm not really a beer snob.

Do you really have to say you aren't a beer snob after mentioning you prefer Busch Light to anything?

I'm late to the thread, but my gametime beer last night was Zombie Monkey. Not sure tonight. Might be a scotch night.