Regents approve SEZ go-ahead

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
The only thing that concerns me is the 30 Million number. that doesn't seem like a lot..

Didn't our suites on the west side cost 19 million?
At least the project says "up to $60 Million"

I can't imagine a replica scoreboard costing any less than $5 million being it is above the 2nd deck.

Who knows what "structure" encompasses though? Maybe that is only the actual bowl, maybe it doesn't even include the upgrade to the sound and video system or all of the other landscaping that will need to be done for the entrance. I have no idea.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
The only thing that concerns me is the 30 Million number. that doesn't seem like a lot..

I can't imagine a replica scoreboard costing any less than $5 million being it is above the 2nd deck.

I had this same issue in my house - I put the TV above the fireplace and now my neck gets tired looking up so high...clearly Pollard has never had this problem. I hope they put it lower so I am looking right at it.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA

Could the 30 Million refer to the cost on top of​ the Reiman gift?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
The initial mockups look just ok IMO

Debbie%2BDowner.png

Attachments

• Debbie%u00252BDowner.png
    Debbie%u00252BDowner.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 17

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I know Weitz has been on the previous stadium projects, but I understood they have downsized greatly, and are not in the best financial shape.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Another day, another work distraction. OSU win Mon, RV saying he will announce Tue, NSD Wed, SEZ Thurs, what's up for tomorrow?

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California

I believe a large chunk of the cost of the last scoreboard was building the massive support structure, which had to be free standing and hold a massive amount of weight up fairly high without any supports in the middle. You could design that support into the south end zone design now, freeing up a lot of expense.

Also, from register article.

Capacity would rise to about 60,000, up from the current 56,800, Madden said. Bleachers would replace about 12,000 general admission grass hillside seats. Open-air club seats would be behind the south end zone, and connect to an indoor dining area.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
60,000 "hard" seats with another 6000 SRO on the north would easily put us third largest in the big 12.

From the DMR article: "Capacity would rise to about 60,000, up from the current 56,800, Madden said. Bleachers would replace about 12,000 general admission grass hillside seats. Open-air club seats would be behind the south end zone, and connect to an indoor dining area."

If that is accurate, there are still two hillsides to push capacity to 66,000. But it is possible that this is not acurate, being the DMR and all.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I believe a large chunk of the cost of the last scoreboard was building the massive support structure, which had to be free standing and hold a massive amount of weight up fairly high without any supports in the middle. You could design that support into the south end zone design now, freeing up a lot of expense.

Also, from register article.

This. I could be wildly off, but if i remember correctly last time it was about a $5 mil project, 4 of which was the structure. Now you'd still need some additional structure over the top of what the SEZ alone would require, but a lot of it i'd imagine could be built into the design.

Help Support Us

Become a patron