Justin Hamilton plays the Iowa Energy

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
The DMR really loves to revisit Hamilton's famous quote that he wanted to be closer to home when he transferred from ISU. He obviously didn't want to share his real reason for wanting to get out. He must have been really set on his decision to transfer to LSU (much farther from Utah than Ames), when Hoiberg was unable to flip him. Since he played as a true freshman and sophomore with the Cyclones, he was able to spend his redshirt year at LSU waiting to be eligible. He had some very nice games in the one year he played for LSU. I caught a few of those on ESPN3.

Bailing out on McDermott was commonplace in that era, so while Hamilton's decision to leave was disappointing, you could not really say it was senseless. Agreeing to play for Hoiberg would have been a big opportunity, but I figure he didn't want to go back on his word to play for LSU. The decision I think was most ill advised, though, was in leaving LSU a year early to enter the NBA draft. In this age, I just think players not a lock to be a lottery pick are better off staying in college as long as possible. LSU was a much better team with Ham in the lineup, and if he had taken them to another level, into the Big Dance, in what would have been his 5th year senior season, I think he moves up to the 1st round of the NBA draft.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
If Ham stayed, good chance Hoiberg would have made the tourney that first year IMO. But why does the DMR think we care about him anymore?

IdahoCyclone

Feb 29, 2012
If Ham stayed, good chance Hoiberg would have made the tourney that first year IMO. But why does the DMR think we care about him anymore?

No chance. The team that went 3-13 in Conference play with one player becomes a NCAA tourney team? Laughable

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They played their guts out to go 16-16 so the NCAA might have been more than one step away.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If Ham stayed, good chance Hoiberg would have made the tourney that first year IMO.

I've always thought this. That team desperately lacked solid and consistent post play. Vanderbecken worked his rear end off, but he was essentially a tall shooting guard. Ejim was good for a Freshman, but still a Freshman. I love what that team did Hoiberg's first year, but they were deficient in more ways than one.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
You apparently do not remember how many really close losses we had . There were a ton that went to the wire.

True but it wasn't as if Hamilton was some game changing player. ISU would've won more games, no doubt, but still not a NCAA team, NIT bound with something like 6 wins in conference.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
True but it wasn't as if Hamilton was some game changing player. ISU would've won more games, no doubt, but still not a NCAA team, NIT bound with something like 6 wins in conference.

His offensive game was really coming along and you have to remember he was option 2 in the post when he was there. As the featured post I really think he would've come into his own.

His leaving was really what sent me over the edge on McDermott. If he couldn't relate to and teach a big white guy then who the hell could he relate to?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Did Hoiberg even try to talk him into staying? I remember Dendy was interested in returning and FH said no.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
His offensive game was really coming along and you have to remember he was option 2 in the post when he was there. As the featured post I really think he would've come into his own.

His leaving was really what sent me over the edge on McDermott. If he couldn't relate to and teach a big white guy then who the hell could he relate to?

Apparently his son.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I doubt we would have made an NCAA tournament like this...

1 - Diante
2 - Scottie
3 - Uncle Jake
4 - Ejim
5 - Big Ham

Vanderbeken first off the bench at 4-5, then Godfrey, really thin at guard, though, in having a much younger Bubu as your first option after the above.

We would have won a few more games, maybe ~20 and finished in the middle of the Big XII, maybe NIT, but I doubt the NCAA was coming.

I remember that for being one of the most entertaining Iowa State teams I've ever seen. Sure, they didn't win much, but watching Diante go wild, JVB and SC go deep, and Ejim's raw energy and talent was a revelation after the snore job of the McDermott era. Maybe I am used to it now, but, it was really refreshing to see and a harbingers of things to come with Fred in having something fun and good again finally.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he stayed. But I think he could have put us over the edge in 3-4 of those close conference losses that year.

I was always someone who thought that McDermott was probably a win or two away from turning things around at Iowa State. He always seemed so close, but nothing ever seemed to go right. Justin leaving was one of those things that really made me start to doubt it though. It was just kind of the peak of those dark days.

And it was those days that remind me that what has happened the last 4 years is something to enjoy.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Remember that offense wasn't a problem in Fred's first year, but defense, rebounding, and depth were. Hamilton would have provided all three of those to some extent.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
We lost 8 games by 5 points or less that year plus 2 overtime games. That was the year Colorado got shafted with a 21-13 record, so most likely would have needed to be better than that.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Did Hoiberg even try to talk him into staying? I remember Dendy was interested in returning and FH said no.

I thought Fred had given Hamilton the same treatment he gave Dendy. I think I remember there being reports that Hamilton expressed interest in staying at ISU after the coaching change was made but that Fred didn't want him anyway. Think about it, Ham didn't exactly fit the mold of player that Fred has been looking for ever since he took the job.