Am i the only one

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Blaming refs is part of sports culture. It gets old and it's annoying and there is the occasional instance when it's legit. Get used to it because it's not going anywhere.

I get more annoyed with people who start threads to complain about people complaining about things.

I don't like the way you said that...let's discuss........

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have complained about refs all my life, and will continue. The other day, a ref tried to hand me a whistle. I had barely complained at all, just commented softly on one blown play. He couldn't possibly have heard me. I moved from Iowa which complains constantly about refs to a location where the town has a taboo on complaining about refs and therefore gives the home team no home court advantage. They barely cheer also. On this point, I am proud to be Iowan. The fans complaining about the refs normally helps keep the refs trying hard to do their job. If the fans let up, the opposing fans won't. Here we have opposing fans that come onto our home court and make it theirs. That makes me disgusted. It is hard for me to fathom. But it is the attitude of lots of people.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Blaming refs is part of sports culture. It gets old and it's annoying and there is the occasional instance when it's legit. Get used to it because it's not going anywhere.

I get more annoyed with people who start threads to complain about people complaining about things.

And I get more annoyed with people posting in threads that are annoyed by people creating threads about people being annoying about officials.

Haha...jk but this is why it's not a good idea to start these kind of threads and creates a worse atmosphere than creating threads about poor officiating or commenting on it in relevant game threads.

The OP doesn't complain about officials...he's obviously a....more intelligent? better? more refined? person because of that? I don't get it. But hey whatever everyone wants to do, I say go for it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I cannot be the only one who is tired of all these Cyclone fans constantly blaming the officiating after each game. It is so annoying to me, it makes us seem like Hawk fans. Its a bad habit and it needs to stop. The last few times ive left Hilton ive overheard it.

Last year KU in Hilton was a legit screw job that reversed a clear outcome, so I think our fans are going to just be like that until we actually beat KU.

The Texas game had some bad calls, taking off Ejim's 2/3 point dunk and saddling him with a bogus foul could have swung the game when ISU was about to blow it open. The KSU win had some truly horrendous calls mostly in KSU's favor. The intentional foul @KU and even the ref's reaction to breaking up a fight that never existed was pretty silly, but outside of that I don't see anything to get bent out of shape about this year. OU was just a road loss, KU at home was actually well officiated, they just smoked us. KU on the road was iffy but way better than usual.

If you're talking about Hilton atmosphere I'd say the KSU win is the only one all year where a fan should have left ticked off that the refs didn't do their job well.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
ISU isn't the only school ******** about the refs. Seems like the majority of schools/commentators/ analyst are gripping about the officiating. You can't walk in to a college arena across America and not hear boo's or complaining about the officiating.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I will stop being critical of the refs when they call a foul when 1) Hogue has rebounding position and gets pushed down, 2) when Niang has rebounding position and the opposing player has one hand on top of his should holding him down and 3) when they call a foul for Kane getting raped every time he goes in the lane.

Once I see those 3 things I will be fine with the officiating.

To be fair, they're only costing him a half an inch on his vertical

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
No excuses but I found this interesting to watch. College basketball officials must balance real jobs, family amid part-time duties. Maybe the NCAA needs to hire full time officials.

This doesn't conform with some other stuff I've heard about guys calling Big 12 and Big Ten games this year. Calling a game practically every day and getting paid very well per game. From what I've seen the guys calling the top conference games wouldn't need another job at all because they're paid well and couldn't possibly have one with their schedules. Obviously in the off season they could or would.

I'm sure it's the case for most lesser NCAA games though even if not for the guys calling top conference games.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Last year KU in Hilton was a legit screw job that reversed a clear outcome, so I think our fans are going to just be like that until we actually beat KU.

The Texas game had some bad calls, taking off Ejim's 2/3 point dunk and saddling him with a bogus foul could have swung the game when ISU was about to blow it open. The KSU win had some truly horrendous calls mostly in KSU's favor. The intentional foul @KU and even the ref's reaction to breaking up a fight that never existed was pretty silly, but outside of that I don't see anything to get bent out of shape about this year. OU was just a road loss, KU at home was actually well officiated, they just smoked us. KU on the road was iffy but way better than usual.

If you're talking about Hilton atmosphere I'd say the KSU win is the only one all year where a fan should have left ticked off that the refs didn't do their job well.
We have some extremely fair-minded complainers about refs on this website. His opinions mirror mine almost exactly. Do you think that is coincidence? I haven't complained after either of the Kansas games this year. That surprised even me.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
The game has become so athletic that it is almost impossible for refs with 1/10 the athletic ability of the players to get every call correct. Is there an agenda for, or against certain teams? I don't think there's any chance of that, but the "name" teams do get their share of the calls. I don't think that's intentional, but I do think it's human nature and until refereeing is done by robots it will probably always exist.

As a KU fan I think we get more good calls than bad, but I don't think it is limited to Big 12 games, I think it's all the time unless we are playing the Duke's of the world. In football it's just the opposite. We've beaten Texas the last two times they've come up to Lawrence but it doesn't show on the scoreboard. Just ask your offensive coordinator who really won the game Vince Young's junior year. Do I think that bogus offensive pass interference call was done intentionally? No, but I it sure didn't hurt Texas that the defender was wearing burnt orange.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The game has become so athletic that it is almost impossible for refs with 1/10 the athletic ability of the players to get every call correct. Is there an agenda for, or against certain teams? I don't think there's any chance of that, but the "name" teams do get their share of the calls. I don't think that's intentional, but I do think it's human nature and until refereeing is done by robots it will probably always exist.

As a KU fan I think we get more good calls than bad, but I don't think it is limited to Big 12 games, I think it's all the time unless we are playing the Duke's of the world. In football it's just the opposite. We've beaten Texas the last two times they've come up to Lawrence but it doesn't show on the scoreboard. Just ask your offensive coordinator who really won the game Vince Young's junior year. Do I think that bogus offensive pass interference call was done intentionally? No, but I it sure didn't hurt Texas that the defender was wearing burnt orange.

If every KU fan were like yourself I think ISU fans would just take our beatings and move on. It's the ones after the game in Ames last year who were saying the officials helped ISU more than KU that make your fanbase our enemy #1, especially with Neb football gone. Every national pundit was commenting about the officiating changing the outcome, 3 days later it was still on ESPN and PTI, but you're the first KU fan I've heard even admit you get your share of calls in general.

Most of us respect your program under Self, it's the denial of stuff like the dead ball 3 (starting to be a long time ago but still probably the worst officiating mistake I've seen) and the game in Ames last year that causes the venom.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I do get tired of it. However, when you have calls that do literally change or dictate the outcome of the games, as we had last year in both Kansas MBB games (and some would argue the last one too) and the Texas football game, you can't really blame fans for looking more closely at what the officials do.

I think the play of the team factors in as much as the officials, but when they do make an obviously incorrect call that changes the outcome......the officials deserve every bit or criticism and attention they get.

As far as just calling fouls, traveling, 3 seconds, whatever.......I don't think it is much of a factor as long as they are consistent with both teams, and they are consistent with what criteria they use to make the calls. When it gets too lopsided one way or the other, or inconsistent......then there is a problem.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Just ask us about fumbles against Texas.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Big 12 refs are not very good and look one sided in their games many times. Crap is crap.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
My opinion on refs has been they are almost always bad bc its an almost impossible task they are asked to do. No point in dwelling on it as it will never change.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The issue I have with the complaining is that it allows others to relate it to all our fans. I'm so sick of hearing the Iowa fanbase whining about calls. I went to dinner on Wednesday night and guys were loudly whining about the officials. It just comes off as loser talk. (This is obviously what "Let's Get Mad Again" was talking about).

None of us can see the world objectively, we are all prejudiced. I whine about officiating at times as well, I usually just do it to the TV screen and maybe a friend. Airing it in public for all to hear just makes us all look bad. But that's just my opinion. If it's a truly bad call, it usually ends up being a talking point on TV. Frankly the KU game in Hilton and the tOSU game last year, are big reasons for the change in attention to the way the game is called this year.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I swear I won't complain about the refs when a call goes in our favor. That way, only half of the bad calls made get my ire.

In reality, I think reffing a basketball game would be a hard job. Players are constantly moving on offense (unless you're a B1G team :jimlad:) Point of impact plays (ex. charges, blocks, shooting fouls, hand checks, etc) should be fairly easy MOST of the time, but expecting someone to catch every hold, illegal screen, or 3 second call is asking a lot.

I've never officiated any game outside of a kid's baseball game, but I would think basketball would be the most difficult out of the major ones. Football seems like there are enough people in place to monitor each position battle relatively well. They also get a chance to regroup after each play. Same with baseball. Basketball is fluid, though. If anyone on here has personal experience, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The issue I have with the complaining is that it allows others to relate it to all our fans. I'm so sick of hearing the Iowa fanbase whining about calls. I went to dinner on Wednesday night and guys were loudly whining about the officials. It just comes off as loser talk. (This is obviously what "Let's Get Mad Again" was talking about).

None of us can see the world objectively, we are all prejudiced. I whine about officiating at times as well, I usually just do it to the TV screen and maybe a friend. Airing it in public for all to hear just makes us all look bad. But that's just my opinion. If it's a truly bad call, it usually ends up being a talking point on TV. Frankly the KU game in Hilton and the tOSU game last year, are big reasons for the change in attention to the way the game is called this year.

TBF there were a couple egregious missed travels in their game against MSU, it's like the fundamental rule of basketball and the refs can't even get that straight what chance do we have with getting a couple displacement calls to go our way.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My opinion on refs has been they are almost always bad bc its an almost impossible task they are asked to do. No point in dwelling on it as it will never change.

I could adapt to this if I see KU get a call as bad as a dead ball 3 or the travesty of consecutive calls in Ames that haned them an unearned Big 12 "title" last season.

If we're talking about ISU vs OK State or Missouri or KSU over the decades I can embrace that view so much easier.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
A friend of mine trained and evaluated high school basketball referees for many years. He always made the statement that you can not objectively evaluate the job that a basketball referee is doing in any game if you are a fan of either team in the game.