***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
At the beginning of the season FanGraphs had Adbert with an option year remaining, but they corrected it at some point. I think I figured out where the confusion was:

A player may get a 4th option season if they don't accrue enough roster time (MLB or MiLB) prior to the three option years being used. In 2021, the Cubs were granted a 4th option year on Alzolay due to time he had missed due to injury. They did send him down in 2021 but brought him back up before he had spent 20 days in the minors, so it didn't count as an option year.

HOWEVER, that 4th option year has expired by now -- he has accrued enough roster time that a 4th option year is no longer available.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
That's a bit extreme. But he should be out of the circle of trust. His innings should be when starter gets rocked in early innings or in late game blowouts.

Hopefully he can get his groove back, it's a long season.
It’s be nice if the offense scored some runs so there were some blowouts.

We can argue all day if the FO did enough for the bullpen going into the year, and then add the injuries and there just aren’t many high leverage guys in the pen right now.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I think we can go ahead and officially tag Mervis with the AAAA tag.

He's lost and now he's got the yips. He's cooked.
I predicted that many times in this thread 2 years ago after seeing him in person at Iowa often. He just isn't a major league player.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I was a Burnes over Alonso guy but I think watching this offense fall apart just because 2 guys are out has changed my mind.

I said it this offseason, I’ll say it now, Swanson is a bottom third of the lineup guy. Absolute bum with a bat in his hands, especially if he’s in a position to manufacture a run. Same goes for Happ.

I just don’t know how you get Alonso and keep Busch and Morel happy, and I certainly don’t want Busch to lose out on PT.

To add, Morel is the only guy the last 3 years who our farm has produced that actually isn’t a wildly crazy piece of **** bat. We seem to have traded out hitting development and can’t produce a hitter now. Mervis? ****. Canario? ****

I trust our prospect pitchers to perform when their name is called. Other than PCA, I don’t trust any of these position guys

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Bum Matthew Mervis heading to Des Moines

Bum Miles Mastrobouni, hitting .231 in DSM and striking out 25% of his AAA at bats, heading to Chicago

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Bum Miles Mastrobouni, hitting .231 in DSM and striking out 25% of his AAA at bats, heading to Chicago
Who do you want?

I'd like to see Vazquez.
Only other options on the 40 are Alcantara not ready.
Davis coming off injury.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Counsell thinks there’s a realistic shot Suzuki and Belli are back next week. Given how putrid everything has been, I could see them skipping rehab

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Who do you want?

I'd like to see Vazquez.
Only other options on the 40 are Alcantara not ready.
Davis coming off injury.
Vazquez is definitely my favorite option but Im not sure I see an every day role for him and I dont want to take that away from him, yet.

For the situation, I wouldn’t hate to see Davis come up. I know they want him to learn how to play without getting hurt, but maybe call him up and have his only role be to hit. He was incredible in ST.

What I do know is Mastrobouni did nothing during his first stint here, and then did nothing in Iowa, to make me feel comfortable he’s on this roster.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

Mastrobouni must have a Ricketts pee tape or something

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
******* drilled, he has the ability to carry a team. Just no consistency. PWizzy.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’m damn near the point I cut everyone in the bullpen right now and bring up everyone from Chicago. **** these sacks of ****.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Man this relief group is horrible. They seem to be giving up some cheap hits, but instead of baring down after giving up a run they just continue to throw fuel on the fire!

Counsell needs to sit down with Swanson. He's fallen in love with the slide, scoop and throw in the hole. I could be wrong, but there were 2 balls in the hole where I felt he could have fielded on his feet and had a better chance of getting the runner out.

It's probably not time to bring Vazquez up. But they should be working him at 2B, SS & 3B down at Iowa. That could get him 3 starts a week and if he hits well, maybe some at bats at DH.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
What an absolute ******* joke. Thompson just ***** the bed all over a great game by Taillon.
I thought after his first few appearances this season that Thompson found his groove of a couple years ago. But the last few appearances he has no ability to throw where the catcher sets up.

The Cubs could have an abundance of OK starting pitchers once Steele comes back based on how Assad, Wesneski, Brown and Wicks have thrown early this year. Might be time to trade one for a solid reliever- proven or prospect.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
calling it now, cubs will bat bottom of the 9th. this ******* bullpen man