Am i the only one

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have complained about refs all my life, and will continue. The other day, a ref tried to hand me a whistle. I had barely complained at all, just commented softly on one blown play. He couldn't possibly have heard me. I moved from Iowa which complains constantly about refs to a location where the town has a taboo on complaining about refs and therefore gives the home team no home court advantage. They barely cheer also. On this point, I am proud to be Iowan. The fans complaining about the refs normally helps keep the refs trying hard to do their job. If the fans let up, the opposing fans won't. Here we have opposing fans that come onto our home court and make it theirs. That makes me disgusted. It is hard for me to fathom. But it is the attitude of lots of people.

So you are saying that he randomly tried to hand you a whistle? That's actually very strange behavior.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
A friend of mine trained and evaluated high school basketball referees for many years. He always made the statement that you can not objectively evaluate the job that a basketball referee is doing in any game if you are a fan of either team in the game.

I've watched enough random CBB to know that reffing is consistently crappy. I've also watched enough Duke vs. Whomever, KU vs. Whomever, UNC vs. Whomever, etc. to know that it's especially crappy for teams playing against these kind of programs but everyone just EXPECTS and ACCEPTS it to be crappy for the opponents of these schools. Because like someone else said in an earlier post, "that's just the way it is" and "It's not going to change".

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My opinion on refs has been they are almost always bad bc its an almost impossible task they are asked to do. No point in dwelling on it as it will never change.
U R 1.

The B12 refs do not hold a candlestick to BIG or ACC refs. They are not as good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've watched enough random CBB to know that reffing is consistently crappy. I've also watched enough Duke vs. Whomever, KU vs. Whomever, UNC vs. Whomever, etc. to know that it's especially crappy for teams playing against these kind of programs but everyone just EXPECTS and ACCEPTS it to be crappy for the opponents of these schools. Because like someone else said in an earlier post, "that's just the way it is" and "It's not going to change".

The problem is, people who accept it usually have to deny something painfully obvious exists in order to accept it. For whatever reason it annoys me when people deny an obvious truth in order to cope easier...I'd probably be a happier person if I could do it myself but I just can't. Basketball being a trivial example of it in the larger game of life.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Outside of the Ohio State and KU games last year, officiating hasn't cost us any games. And even in those games, you never know what would have happened.

But the officiating has been terrible all year. Not just against ISU but throughout the Big 12. If you don't want to complain about it, that's fine. But I'm not going to blame anyone for complaining about it as I've watched every game, and its been pretty awful. I don't like seeing Cyclone fans blame losses on the refs (this is a very small minority) but I have no problem with people complaining, whether that being ISU fans or any other team's fans.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
U R 1.

The B12 refs do not hold a candlestick to BIG or ACC refs. They are not as good.
Considering that there is no such thing as a "Big 12 ref" and that refs will work games from multiple conferences I'd say you're full of ****.

ojoe2317

Jan 2, 2012
I had forgotten why I stopped watching college basketball for a few years, and then I started watching more last year and some this year.

Now I remember that I stopped watching because the officiating is terrible. Watching an ISU college basketball game is almost impossible for me and not fun anymore. I just followed along the game thread for the last KU game, and that was much nicer. I might just try that and see if it is better.

College basketball officiating is terrible, has always been terrible, and always will be terrible.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Only game this year I absolutely blame the refs this season is @Texas.

I believe their incompetence severely impacted our chances at a W.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I had forgotten why I stopped watching college basketball for a few years, and then I started watching more last year and some this year.

Now I remember that I stopped watching because the officiating is terrible. Watching an ISU college basketball game is almost impossible for me and not fun anymore. I just followed along the game thread for the last KU game, and that was much nicer. I might just try that and see if it is better.

College basketball officiating is terrible, has always been terrible, and always will be terrible.
Then you missed an exciting game. The officials were ok and didn't change the outcome of the game and the players played at a high level on both sides. Every time KU would make a run, ISU would answer until the very end. Both teams made big shots. I don't know how Niang gets some of those shots off but it's a special talent, well worth watching.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Outside of the Ohio State and KU games last year, officiating hasn't cost us any games. And even in those games, you never know what would have happened.

Ohio State falls in the "you never know what would have happened" zone. There were 2-3 points taken off the board for ISU on a bad call, but it was mainly one understandable bang-bang blown call, and there was some time left for more possessions.

ISU simply beat Kansas in Ames last year. There were three absolutely horrendous calls favoring KU late in the game, two of them coming in the final 4 seconds. If officiating didn't cost ISU game, it has never cost any team a game in the history of sports. I know some have that viewpoint, but I think that's absurd.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
College officiating:

Player drives to lane - put whistle in mouth anticipating a foul. He missed - blow whistle.

Get booed and chewed by coach.

Call reach in foul on other team to make up for it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
College officiating:

Player drives to lane - put whistle in mouth anticipating a foul. He missed - blow whistle.

Get booed and chewed by coach.

Call reach in foul on other team to make up for it.

Travels and out of bounds calls caused by obvious no-call fouls are among the worst to me.

Just as frustrating but somehow balancing the crappiness is when they know they missed a foul call that caused the fouled player to go out of bounds, so they reward the wrong team the ball on an out of bounds play.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Kind of similar to the Louisville/Cincy game last night. I didn't watch the entire game, but Cincy dominated the majority of it and were up 14 at one point I think. Granted some of the late choking was due to TO's; however, the officials were making crap calls to allow Louisville back in the game. Road game for Cincy, but it looked like at one point the cincy coach wanted to punch the refs.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Kind of similar to the Louisville/Cincy game last night. I didn't watch the entire game, but Cincy dominated the majority of it and were up 14 at one point I think. Granted some of the late choking was due to TO's; however, the officials were making crap calls to allow Louisville back in the game. Road game for Cincy, but it looked like at one point the cincy coach wanted to punch the refs.

I have no idea how Cronin went without being tossed. He was blowing up on those guys and I could read his lips saying some pretty cool stuff. He also was justified in that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have no idea how Cronin went without being tossed. He was blowing up on those guys and I could read his lips saying some pretty cool stuff. He also was justified in that.

That's a classic ref move. They know the coach wants to go but theyare going to make them sit there and watch themselves get f'ed by the refs from the front row.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron