Lee-Campbell hints toward OC direction, wants to compete

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Considering I did not see a sheet of plays in the hands of Sturdy or Coach K during KU or WV games I am 100% positive Coach Mess was calling the plays. I have never seen an OC calling plays without his list of plays.
Implying that Mess had a playcall sheet and wasn't just pulling plays out of the air.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Just an aside FYI, Blum, as you all know engineers the Cyclone Radio Network's football broadcast. That booth is right next to that of the Iowa State coaching staff's. On last Thursday's CF Radio Show, we got into this exact conversation and Blum swears he saw Mess calling plays the last two games.

There wasn't anything he had to see over, was there?

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
So I have a question. Lets say I had some information on what went on behind the scenes with some of these coaches. Should I post what I know?

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
So I have a question. Lets say I had some information on what went on behind the scenes with some of these coaches. Should I post what I know?

If it's negative or hurtful-no. If it's positive and informative for the forum then OK. Just my opinion.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Well since no one takes what you say seriously, go ahead.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
If it's negative or hurtful-no. If it's positive and informative for the forum then OK. Just my opinion.

I don't think it is hurtful.

Well since no one takes what you say seriously, go ahead.

This is why I haven't posted it, and don't know if I should. Don't know if it is worth the flak.

Not if the coaches thought they said what you heard in confidence.

Wasn't said directly to me.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I don't think it is hurtful.

This is why I haven't posted it, and don't know if I should. Don't know if it is worth the flak.

Wasn't said directly to me.

Doesn't sound too bad. I would explain my source and say that it is second hand info, so take it for what it's worth.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This is what I'd say. Let people take the information at it's face value.
I can't believe ol' videovogs has you all on the line. You might as well jump in the boat for him.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Mess was forced to add Coach K's playbook, the pistol stuff to his offense, and it didn't go so well. I heard at the Iowa vs ISU game that the playbook was way too big, and one big mess at that point. It also didn't lead to a cohesive offensive staff at ISU, and led to some bad blood. This is obvious with the Mess and Pope firings, and Bliel will be moving on of his own accord.

I am kind of surprised that Coach K might be getting the OC job. I figured that he would also be fired (didn't hear he would or anything, just kind of assumed it), as he was partially responsible for the whole situation. Maybe Rhoads sees it differently, or I just only heard one side of things. Either way if K moves into the OC spot, my one big question is why not make that move last year? Why try to make Mess run and implement someone else's offense? Clonedude has some nice posts in the other OC thread that make some sense as to why that might be.

That is basically what I know. I heard some other eye openers as well, but really aren't pertinent to this situation.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Mess was forced to add Coach K's playbook, the pistol stuff to his offense, and it didn't go so well. I heard at the Iowa vs ISU game that the playbook was way too big, and one big mess at that point. It also didn't lead to a cohesive offensive staff at ISU, and led to some bad blood. This is obvious with the Mess and Pope firings, and Bliel will be moving on of his own accord.

I am kind of surprised that Coach K might be getting the OC job. I figured that he would also be fired (didn't hear he would or anything, just kind of assumed it), as he was partially responsible for the whole situation. Maybe Rhoads sees it differently, or I just only heard one side of things. Either way if K moves into the OC spot, my one big question is why not make that move last year? Why try to make Mess run and implement someone else's offense? Clonedude has some nice posts in the other OC thread that make some sense as to why that might be.

That is basically what I know. I heard some other eye openers as well, but really aren't pertinent to this situation.

I think it came down to terminology. It is easier for 1 person to learn the terminology of an entire team than it is for an entire team to learn the terminology of 1 person. If we bring in Coach K as an OC, everyone has to learn things the way he speaks it, now since he knows how the team talks, he can install his stuff using the teams terminology.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I think it came down to terminology. It is easier for 1 person to learn the terminology of an entire team than it is for an entire team to learn the terminology of 1 person. If we bring in Coach K as an OC, everyone has to learn things the way he speaks it, now since he knows how the team talks, he can install his stuff using the teams terminology.
First one in the boat. Videovogs will have you hanging on his wall by Christmas.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009

True, and I think that is the jist of what Clonedude was saying. It makes some sense, but you have to know being a coach yourself (Rhoads that is) how it is going to go making a OC try to run someone else's offense, don't you??? These guys are usually where they are, cause they have biiiiigggg egos. I mean I was scratching my head big time with the hire when it happened, and when I heard Mess would be putting Coach K's plays into the playbook.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
First one in the boat. Videovogs will have you hanging on his wall by Christmas.

This is why I didn't want to post it. I'm sorry I know who I know jmb. Plus it isn't like I ran and posted it to stir up trouble. This is all water under the bridge at this point, and really makes no difference. If I wanted to stir up problems I'd have been here during the season posting what I knew.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
This is why I didn't want to post it. I'm sorry I know who I know jmb. Plus it isn't like I ran and posted it to stir up trouble. This is all water under the bridge at this point, and really makes no difference. If I wanted to stir up problems I'd have been here during the season posting what I knew.
You are a prolific **** stirrer at hawk nation...you would have posted this long ago.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I ask this in every thread deanvog trolls, but why do people dialogue with him.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
Yes, as long as you are willing to say how you know.

Jmb told me. He and I are TIGHT!

Seriously it was second hand from someone who would know. I'm not claiming it came directly from the source.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just an aside FYI, Blum, as you all know engineers the Cyclone Radio Network's football broadcast. That booth is right next to that of the Iowa State coaching staff's. On last Thursday's CF Radio Show, we got into this exact conversation and Blum swears he saw Mess calling plays the last two games.
Maybe the mess headset was ignored and someone was substituting other playcalls.