Lee-Campbell hints toward OC direction, wants to compete

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Considering I did not see a sheet of plays in the hands of Sturdy or Coach K during KU or WV games I am 100% positive Coach Mess was calling the plays. I have never seen an OC calling plays without his list of plays.

Kleinakis needs no papers. Mind like a steel trap. He has pi memorized to 17000 digits.

(allegedly....just so I don't anger Velo)

:wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Maybe Rhoads sees it differently, or I just only heard one side of things. Either way if K moves into the OC spot, my one big question is why not make that move last year? Why try to make Mess run and implement someone else's offense? Clonedude has some nice posts in the other OC thread that make some sense as to why that might be.
This is what hung you, right here.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I will give Deanvogs credit, he did manage to post in this thread without mentioning the Hawks bball depth or the fact that Fran did not want Hogue once Pistol Pete Jok committed. So, kudos to Deanvogs.

Actually, what he said doesn't seem like much of a stretch, but I always thought the Klenakis hire to be a bit odd. Having an OL coach with a far better resume than the OC is not common.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Jmb told me. He and I are TIGHT!

Seriously it was second hand from someone who would know. I'm not claiming it came directly from the source.
i told you that the hawks were "deep", in national chimpionship(yes), that ISU was going to lose lots of scoring, Jok isn't a joke, and it was going to take time for this team to gel...wait that is more **** you have pontificated.

Last edited:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Mess has only ever run someone else's offense. Nothing here has ever been his stuff. He took Hermans and added the pistol. I blame this on Rhoads. It's obvious he brought in K to add pistol components to our offense and saddled Mess with a bunch of new stuff that really isn't more effective as a whole than what we did. I know everyone loves running from the pistol but that "downhill start" everyone sees and just figures is great but you also take out a lot of lateral flexibility and complete change some of the blocking schemes. That's why the Oline struggled. They did a lot of things they haven't done in the past. I don't really care if he hires K. I think he could be a fine coach, but he absolutely has to let him do his thing. Don't make him insert some of the Herman stuff and don't make him go out and find different things to add. If he wants to do it, that's fine but let him do it on his own and for the love of everything, don't hire another former OC for their expertise in a different system.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
i told you that the hawks were "deep", in national chimpionship(yes), that ISU was going to lose lots of scoring, Jok isn't a joke, and it was going to take time for this team to gel...wait that is more **** you have pontificated.

This is a football forum, please stay on subject.

K, thx.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Mess was forced to add Coach K's playbook, the pistol stuff to his offense, and it didn't go so well. I heard at the Iowa vs ISU game that the playbook was way too big, and one big mess at that point.
CPR was forthright about incorporating the pistol since coach K's hiring. Quite obvious that the assimilation didn't go well.

It also didn't lead to a cohesive offensive staff at ISU, and led to some bad blood. This is obvious with the Mess and Pope firings, and Bliel will be moving on of his own accord.
Don't blame the coaches if there was some friction. Rhoads brings in a new coach and wants to work in his stuff and forces the old staff to try and make it work. Then fires old staff because it didn't work out.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
I will give Deanvogs credit, he did manage to post in this thread without mentioning the Hawks bball depth or the fact that Fran did not want Hogue once Pistol Pete Jok committed. So, kudos to Deanvogs.

Actually, what he said doesn't seem like much of a stretch, but I always thought the Klenakis hire to be a bit odd. Having an OL coach with a far better resume than the OC is not common.

It isn't a stretch, and really all I did was connect many of the dots that have been floating around these threads. I do not know if K called plays the last 2 games or anything like that. I simply said what I heard very early on this year, to confirm many suspensions in this and the other OC thread.

deanvogs

Oct 25, 2009
CPR was forthright about incorporating the pistol since coach K's hiring. Quite obvious that the assimilation didn't go well.

Don't blame the coaches if there was some friction. Rhoads brings in a new coach and wants to work in his stuff and forces the old staff to try and make it work. Then fires old staff because it didn't work out.

You can place blame where you wish. Me personally I put the blame at the top, as I do with Ferentz as well. If Assistant coaches don't do a good job, I feel the blame goes to the guy that hired them in the first place. Same goes for credit for hiring good coaches.

Now that is just my opinion, some may not share it.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Calling offensive plays shouldn't be that much different if the running back is lined up behind the QB in the pistol or next to the QB in the shot gun. Stop trying to turn this into something it's not.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I still really hope we bring in Sage (if he wants a job) for the QB coaches position. I think he could really help with all of our young guys and as someone who as been in that spot in the NFL. He is smart, relatively young, and has a lot of NFL experience. Hmm.... sounds like someone else we hired that has worked out just fine.

Jeff Grayer? Cael Sanderson?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron