Distant Cousins Dating. Is this weird?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Seems appropriate considering we are playing West Virginia this weekend.

My wife's parents met at a family reunion. I enjoy giving her crap about that.

DreamyCy

Nov 13, 2013
I grew up in a town where I was could trace my relations to easily 75% of the student population. Her 3rd cousin is what... your cousin's daughter? This happened regularly in DeWitt and then we were always having giant extended family reunions so it was funny when those couples showed up it was usually entertaining because that particular generation is blissfully unaware of genealogy. The benefit... at least you know the in laws. ha.

Wouldn't that be second cousin? 3rd cousin would be your second cousins daughter/son

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I don't think it is weird that they are dating ... now if they are shagging then that is weird to me.

What is this, junior high? Dating = shagging, in almost every case.

To the OP, let them be happy. They are distant enough that genetics doesn't apparently present much of a problem in this case.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
There was this girl in high school that I thought was rather hot. Turns out were related. My great grandfather's, younger brother's great granddaughter. Or something like that.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
There was this girl in high school that I thought was rather hot. Turns out were related. My great grandfather's, younger brother's great granddaughter. Or something like that.
thats a no go ghost-rider.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
Someone mentioned above they thought a third cousin was your cousins kid. That is incorrect, that would be your first cousin once removed. In case anyone wants to know, a third cousin is a person with that shares two great-great grandparents, but are not cousins or siblings. That could get pretty distant with big families.

Reactions: Aclone

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Einstein was married to his cousin. I had some distant family who did the same thing. I would never go that route, but the real question is are they happy? Plenty of people get together who are not related and shouldn't. Third cousin is getting distant and more of that goes on in these small rural community's than you think.

Einstein's second wife was both his first and second cousin, (no kids with this one). He and Jerry Lee Lewis cut from same cloth.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
That's like dating your great-great grandparents sibling's great great grandchild. How wierd what that be?

If their parts fit together well they'll probably keep dating.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
My only cousin who is the same age as me is 21, is my 3rd cousin. She's pretty but we're too close to "date". We hang out a lot though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My grandparents on my mom's side were 3rd cousins. Grandmother was born in Italy, grandfather in Argentina. Married in New York. Family originates from a small town in Italy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
They are dating. Nothing was said about getting married. Third cousins means their grandparents were first cousins. Third cousins is getting far enough down the line that it is no big deal. I do a lot of geneology research and families are so intertwined it would be hard not to be related to most everybody in a small town/county
Not as bad as Jerry Springer stuff.