Distant Cousins Dating. Is this weird?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
No idea who my third cousins are, something to ask my wife or mom about I guess.

Apr 19, 2006
Yeah I know a few people who have married cousins. I'm from a small town and yeah people talk about it and will make jokes at their expense, but they also talked to doctors and there isn't any big concerns about having kids.

In the end we all have to live with the choices we make, but it's our life so who cares what others think!

The one thing that would make it easy is that they really wouldn't have to pick sides for family get togethers!

Apr 19, 2006
My grandparents are second cousins once-removed. That would make my mom my 4th cousin and my kids my 5th cousins.

Now that makes a person think! But it just seems weird just reading it.

heck on Jerry Springer there were sisters now my mom or other weird stuff. I don't call that a family tree I call that a family bush as it's too close to the ground!

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
If you can't readily indicate who, specifically, they are related to, then it should't matter. To be honest even knowing who a third cousin is seems odd to me (but I have a small family).

I am adopted so I have no knowledge of my biological family so it's entirely possible there are little Mtowns out there with 3 eyes.

I have the same nagging feeling pop up sometimes. My biological grandfather left my grandma while she was pregnant with my dad...my husband is adopted. Supposedly, my "grandpa" fled to the Pacific Northwest, while my husband was born in Minnesota. But, he has no knowledge of his biological family.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The kids know they are third cousins right? I just ask because I wouldn't know and one time I mentioned someone and my family let me know I was related a ways down the road and it changed things for me anyway.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
jag-s-fan-o.gif

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Hi, I'm a long time reader on this site and would like some of your honest opinions.

My daughter is currently dating her 3rd cousin, and my husband and I don't know what to think about it. We've talked to some people about this, and they say that there is nothing wrong with this, but I think they are saying that to be nice. We live in a small community where I know people will eventually find out about this and make their own judgements.

What do some you think about this? Is this weird? Please give your honest opinion.
I hired and fired a guy never realizing.he was my 3rd cousin. Jim zabel is my grandmas third cousin and she never had any idea. Really not a big deal. That isnt very closely related. If FDR can do It who cares.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I hired and fired a guy never realizing.he was my 3rd cousin. Jim zabel is my grandmas third cousin and she never had any idea. Really not a big deal. That isnt very closely related. If FDR can do It who cares.
FDR caused the great depression and WW2 though :jimlad:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This isnt a big deal,

Hell, on the birth defects thing even first cousins isnt even that large of a percentage increase, and at second cousins is probably barely above the general population.

Hell, a lot of people probably wouldnt even be able to identify who their second or third cousins are. I cant say i know any of mine.