Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Other than the bolded part I don't agree with you but see where you are coming from and recognize it as a valid opinion. But Richardson is only a sophomore, so looking at Rohach and saying "well, at least he's a freshman" isn't really a valid argument. They both have years left. And every single Quarterback under this staff has not only failed to get better, they have regressed from game to game and year to year. If the staff chases Richardson off as I assume will happen we'll be repeating this exact same situation a year from now.

You think Sam has a better arm than Grant?

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I know that Sam consistently had a better QB rating than Grant has had, despite not being able to plant properly most of the time he was playing due to his ankle.
Grant has equal wins with less games. :)
I really don't have a dog in the fight. I just think Grant has more upside but whether he has the mental ability to take the next step remains to be seen. If Sam is the guy, I want see him check off once. Seemed like if the first wr was covered, he would need 4+ seconds to check for another wr which usually leads to a sack or a scramble run.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I know you're just being snarky there but a lot of people really seem to think this.

The quarterback is one of 11 guys on offense, plus 11 guys on defense and a host of special teamers that all impact the outcome of the game. The QB has a lot more impact than your average player, but he's not the only one out there. And all those players are developed by their position coaches and given a gameplan by their respective coordinator. The outcome of a game is the product of a couple hundred people. Not just the QB.

And I don't blame Sam or Grant for not checking down - every QB we've had since Arnaud has had that problem. Which tells me it is a coaching issue, not a player issue.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You think Sam has a better arm than Grant?

IMO Sam has a much more accurate arm than Grant. Grant's arm is stronger and you can see that when his throws bounce off the ground they have good velocity on them.

It sounds like Lanning has at least as strong an arm than Grant. And Lanning has more size and can actually run the ball. Lanning is 6'2" and weighs 235 right now. So if you are looking at upside potential. I have no problem with competition for the position. And we will just have to see how Grant performs against WVU this coming Saturday. Hopefully he does well and we come home with a win.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I really don't have a dog in the fight. I just think Grant has more upside but whether he has the mental ability to take the next step remains to be seen. If Sam is the guy, I want see him check off once. Seemed like if the first wr was covered, he would need 4+ seconds to check for another wr which usually leads to a sack or a scramble run.

Sam actually won an Away game. And IMO we actually beat Texas. And you are bragging about a win over Kansas.....at home.....when Kansas has not won a league game that was AWAY in almost forever.

Name me one time when Sam has had 4+ seconds behind our OL this year. Good grief. In most cases there hasn't even been enough time to even make the first read.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Sam actually won an Away game. And IMO we actually beat Texas. And you are bragging about a win over Kansas.....at home.....when Kansas has not won a league game that was AWAY in almost forever.

Name me one time when Sam has had 4+ seconds behind our OL this year. Good grief. In most cases there hasn't even been enough time to even make the first read.
I was being "snarky"
As I said, no dog in the fight. I just see Grant being the guy.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I was being "snarky"
As I said, no dog in the fight. I just see Grant being the guy.

Based on the Kansas game? Because before that there wasn't much. And before injury Sam actually played better IMO than what Grant has really shown us.

Maybe CPR is just pumping Grant up to build confidence and maybe Grant is the only option because Sam has an injured thumb and can't throw. IDK. I am just not that confident in Grant going forward. And hope I am wrong. Big game versus WVU.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
But if there is going to be an open competition, what is gained from naming GR the #1 guy several months in advance of Spring ball starting? I just don't get it.

They aren't competing during the winter when there is no practice. Spring practice is when the open competition will begin. Why is that confusing?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
They aren't competing during the winter when there is no practice. Spring practice is when the open competition will begin. Why is that confusing?

It isn't. And with 2 freshmen redshirting who will not play. And if Sam really has an injured thumb then he won't really play. Which will mean that we only have Grant to play in reality versus WVU, and that is the basis for CPR making his statement concerning the first snap.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That confuses the hell out of me also. Because earlier in the year we were told that the zone read was an integral part of our offense and that the QB had to be able to run it. Now we don't even run it.

Well if I was calling plays and I only had one capable healthy QB I probably would scrap most of the QB runs as well.

Of course I probably would do the same thing if I was playing my starter injured as well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

...so why do we need a #1 when there isn't practice? CPR has always pumped the "every spot is an open competition" rhetoric. I don't get what is gained by putting GR on a pedestal at this point. In my opinion, I think he wants to avoid a controversy next year and is hoping SR transfers. It's clear he's made up his mind that GR is his guy, and despite is completely lack of output against decent teams CPR is going to stick to his guns.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
...so why do we need a #1 when there isn't practice? CPR has always pumped the "every spot is an open competition" rhetoric. I don't get what is gained by putting GR on a pedestal at this point. In my opinion, I think he wants to avoid a controversy next year and is hoping SR transfers. It's clear he's made up his mind that GR is his guy, and despite is completely lack of output against decent teams CPR is going to stick to his guns.

That is utter ********. You are just making stuff up at this point.

He didn't say there was a #1. He said Grant will take the first snaps with the offense, but that there is an open competition. Someone has to take the first snap, right?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

He didn't say there was a #1. He said Grant will take the first snaps with the offense, but that there is an open competition. Someone has to take the first snap, right?

The man is paid over a million dollars a year and has as high of profile job as there is in the State. I assume he knows his words are going to be scrutinized and that they have meaning. It would have taken nothing for him to say "I'm not worried about who is our #1 guy next year, I'm worried about WVU." But instead he made a statement that deviates from the tone he seems to take with every other position.

I like CPR and I want him to stay our coach for some time to come. However, I've lost all faith in his ability to manage the most important position on our team.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Bawbie is right. You need to step away from the computer because you are making zero sense now. Do you honestly believe CPR wants one of his only two experienced QBs to transfer - especially when ISU hasn't had a QB go the distance since long before he was even head coach here?

Get a grip, dude. Saying he'll take the first snap with the 1's but it will be an open competition is clearly putting him on a pedestal.

Take a break, you are embarrassing yourself.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

A coach doesn't just randomly announce before the last game of the year that an underclassman who has been filling in for an injured starter is going to take the first snap.

Because in my mind, and I think in a lot of people's mind, Rohach is not the #1 QB or even really the "starter" anymore than Jevohn Miller is the "starter" over Luke Knott. He's a guy who is filling in for a hurt starter. And Rhoads just announced, out of the blue with no reason to do so, that Rohach, not Richardson, is the guy who will start with the #1s next spring.

Its a big deal because if Rhoads felt he had to say something it should have been "Sam Richardson will be the #1 QB when we start the spring, but all four guys will be competing for the spot once practice begins".

Again, this isn't something that happened in isolation. This is just another step in a long, long line of Rhoads having absolutely no idea how to handle the QB position.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
A coach doesn't just randomly announce before the last game of the year that an underclassman who has been filling in for an injured starter is going to take the first snap.

Because in my mind, and I think in a lot of people's mind, Rohach is not the #1 QB or even really the "starter" anymore than Jevohn Miller is the "starter" over Luke Knott. He's a guy who is filling in for a hurt starter. And Rhoads just announced, out of the blue with no reason to do so, that Rohach, not Richardson, is the guy who will start with the #1s next spring.

It's a big deal because if Rhoads felt he had to say something it should have been "Sam Richardson will be the #1 QB when we start the spring, but all four guys will be competing for the spot once practice begins".

Again, this isn't something that happened in isolation. This is just another step in a long, long line of Rhoads having absolutely no idea how to handle the QB position.

Perhaps saying he wants SR to transfer is a bit of hyperbole, but I can't justify the way he's managed the position the last 3 years. It doesn't make sense and I can't give him the benefit of the doubt on any of these decisions. What has still not been explained to me is why he would say GR is the #1 guy going into next year, albeit with an open competition. What is gained by that? What positive effect could that possibly have on SR, or GR for that matter? In the past 4 years we've not had a starter named at the end of Spring ball on a few occasions. I don't think anyone would have been surprised to hear him say "I'm not going to talk about next year."

Again, he says these things for a reason. He doesn't have to tell the media who will get the first snap in Spring ball 5 months out, he chose to. I just can't figure out the reason he chose to do it, that's all.

Reactions: Judoka

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
What inspires me is that his passes were far more accurate than in previous games. Regardless of competition, when he threw the ball, a higher volume of those passes hit the target in the right spot. I am not saying it wasnt a fluke, but it could be the confidence a young qb needed to get his feet under him. This kid was thrown to the wolves the second he stepped onto the field facing impossible situations (Baylor, OSU, OU, etc). I never said he is better than Sam, I just said I THINK he has more upside. Agree to disagree if you like.

He hit the right targets because he had all day to throw, which I think had to do with the field conditions and footing as much as anything. Both OL's had the obvious upper hand in the run game because the DL could not push off. Even KU's QB had all day to throw. I'm not saying this to tear down GR, he played a great game, however those were abnormal field conditions which helped both OL's immensely in this game. That doesn't happen on a normal day because the Rush from both defenses was mitigated because of lack of footing, IMO.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If I was SR I would transfer. This staff has no clue what to do with the offense or how to handle the QBs.