Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I gave you a possible explanation and you chose to ignore it.

You really believe he chose to name a #1 guy, ignoring what effect that would have on SR and his future with the team, in an attempt to fire up GR going into an absolutely meaningless game against a similarly bad opponent?

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You really believe he chose to name a #1 guy, ignoring what effect that would have on SR and his future with the team, in an attempt to fire up GR going into an absolutely meaningless game against a similarly bad opponent?

Rohach has been the #1 guy on the depth chart for several weeks now. There has not been a #1 named for the spring game, that will happen based on spring practice.

And you can't know what affect this has on Sam without knowing what conversations have been had with him.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Meaningless? I have a hard time taking seriously anything you say when you ignore how important a win this week would be to the psyche, confidence and motivation of the returning players going into the offseason.

If you read my post you would know that I said I didn't believe he ignored what it would mean to Sam. I highly doubt that there wasn't conversation with Sam about what this really means and his future on the team.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Rohach has been the #1 guy on the depth chart for several weeks now. There has not been a #1 named for the spring game, that will happen based on spring practice.

And you can't know what affect this has on Sam without knowing what conversations have been had with him.

But hasn't a big piece of the justification for GR beign #1 been Sam is hurt? He should be healed up by Spring practice. The line on SR all year seems to be, "we haven't been able to see the real SR because he's been hurt." It's been a great excuse for why our QB play has been so bad. But now he is saying that with a health GR and healthy SR that GR is starting at #1?

Again, it would have been so easy to just say "it's an open competition next Spring and I'm not naming a #1". Again, what has CPR done to instill any confidence that he is properly managing this situation with the QBs?

I think the issue here is all of us trying to make sense out a situation that makes no sense. Herein lies the problem-- our staff doesn't know how to handle QBs.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Meaningless? I have a hard time taking seriously anything you say when you ignore how important a win this week would be to the psyche, confidence and motivation of the returning players going into the offseason.

If you read my post you would know that I said I didn't believe he ignored what it would mean to Sam. I highly doubt that there wasn't conversation with Sam about what this really means and his future on the team.

Ok, so that's even worse. By your logic, CPR, knowing the effect it would have on Sam and his future with the team, chose to name GR the #1 guy going into Spring all to pump him up for 1 game which only has implications on the team's motivation going into next year? You really think winning or losing a meaningless game will have that big of effect on a next year's team's motivation to jeopardize your standing with (arguably) the best QB you have on the roster?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Based on how the staff has acted in the past do you honestly believe that to be true? I don't.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
You think Sam has a better arm than Grant?

In the sense of putting touch on a deep ball, yes. In terms of accuracy, yes. GR has more arm strength, which is great on occasion. He doesn't put any air under the ball on throws more than 40 yards, Sam does. Sam was much more accurate last year when healthy, and he needs to regain that form we saw because he was not as accurate on many deep balls this year, presumably because of his bad ankle and thumb. Sam is a much better scrambler (don't think he should be utilized in designed spread runs so much). Sam has more upside overall, just need an OC that recognizes his strengths instead of throwing him to the wolves. We also need better line play to have more consistency in the run game, which will help both QB's immensely. No QB can do it by themselves!

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Its a big deal because if Rhoads felt he had to say something it should have been "Sam Richardson will be the #1 QB when we start the spring, but all four guys will be competing for the spot once practice begins".

Again, this isn't something that happened in isolation. This is just another step in a long, long line of Rhoads having absolutely no idea how to handle the QB position.

If CPR would have said that this board would have had a meltdown. "Rohach finally has a great game and CPR pulls the rug out from under him. He has no idea how to manager QB's.....blah, blah blah" He DID say there would be an open competition. There is no difference who takes the FIRST snaps with the ones...someone has to. CPR probably shouldn't have said anything, but he is clearly frustrated with Randy Petererson constantly asking the question and was trying to put it to bed.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

This is just ridiculous.

Grant has been number 1 on the depth chart the past few weeks. Him taking the first snaps in Spring Practice with the 1's should have been taken for granted. Sam will have plenty of chances to win the spot during practice.

You are not helping any sort of false claim that you want CPR to stay around. You are looking for made up reasons to be critical.

The performance on the field was bad enough, so stop trying to create drama.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Based on how the staff has acted in the past do you honestly believe that to be true? I don't.

Wow. Just wow. Now we have the geniuses with their shovels saying that the coaches don't talk to their players???

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself. Worry about wrestling, you are much much better there.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Wow. Just wow. Now we have the geniuses with their shovels saying that the coaches don't talk to their players???

Just stop, you are embarrassing yourself. Worry about wrestling, you are much much better there.

Remember when Rohach was first named the starter and he found out via twitter from friends congratulating him? I do.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
If CPR would have said that this board would have had a meltdown. "Rohach finally has a great game and CPR pulls the rug out from under him. He has no idea how to manager QB's.....blah, blah blah" He DID say there would be an open competition. There is no difference who takes the FIRST snaps with the ones...someone has to. CPR probably shouldn't have said anything, but he is clearly frustrated with Randy Petererson constantly asking the question and was trying to put it to bed.

Yeah, NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with the qb situation. It is a bunch of supposed "fans" who don't like the coach because we had a bad year.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is just ridiculous.

Grant has been number 1 on the depth chart the past few weeks. Him taking the first snaps in Spring Practice with the 1's should have been taken for granted. Sam will have plenty of chances to win the spot during practice.

You are not helping any sort of false claim that you want CPR to stay around. You are looking for made up reasons to be critical.

The performance on the field was bad enough, so stop trying to create drama.

Then I'll ask you the same question I've put out there a few times: Why was it necessary for CPR to name GR the #1 going into Spring ball? Would it have been at all difficult to say "I'll see where we are at in the Spring and let you know who my number 1 is." I don't think I'm out of line for assuming that CPR's words have meaning.

It's a risk/reward analysis for me. By saying this, you risk ******* of (arguably) the best QB on your roster. The reward in nameing a #1 QB for the Spring before your season is over is....?

Also, I've never been one to call for CPR to be fired. I think Messingham should go, but I like the work CPR has done. It has become evident, however, that he doesn't know what he's doing on the offensive side of the ball, particularly with the QB position. If this same conversation was being had but it was in regards to Jevohn Miller and Luke Knott I'd have much less of an issue with it, as CPR has proven he knows how to assess and handle linebackers. QBs? Not so much.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I don't really don't care who is our #1 next year. The fact is that we have to get better QB play. We need All-Big 12 type of play out of the position or we never finish in the top half of the league. There will always be a talent gap between us and the big boys in the conference. The one position that can overcome some of that disadvantage is the QB position. We need a real stud or we will never be really successful in the Big 12. I don't think either Sam or Grant have proven to be that at this point. I don't think it matters who is #1 at the start of spring, but someone on this team needs to step up and distance themselves from the others at the QB position or we need to bring someone else in.

We are a 2 win team. There shouldn't be any clear #1s at this point. We have several promising players returning for next year, but I wouldn't say we have any Jake Knotts or A.J.s on the roster. Those guys were all-Big 12 performers. I don't think anyone has played at that level where they should be a lock as a starter for next year. We need improvement across the board.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron