Rohach will start as the #1 QB in the spring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
That's a perfectly reasonable assumption for what is actually going on, in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is right on the money as far as what is up with Sam's thumb and that he needs surgery but is waiting until after the season.

But it still doesn't explain the kind of statements that Rhoads made on Monday. Why even make it?

I hear what you are saying, it makes no sense to say those things.

But I also think we (in this thread) might be overreacting quite a bit to these statements. IF SR will need surgery to fix his thumb, he certainly knows this. He would understand the recovery time involved.

I think a lot of us might be getting "offended" on his behalf unnecessarily. That's not to say the QB handling by this staff hasn't been a cluster, but in this case there might be more than meets the eye involved. At least I hope that is the case because if there isn't... i'm at a loss entirely.

Last edited:

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I hear what you are saying, it makes no sense.

But I also think we (in this thread) might be overreacting quite a bit to these statements. IF SR will need surgery to fix his thumb, he certainly knows this. He would understand the recovery time involved.

I think a lot of us might be getting "offended" on his behalf unnecessarily. That's not to say the QB handling by this staff hasn't been a cluster, but in this case there might be more than meets the eye involved. At least I hope that is the case because if there isn't... i'm at a loss entirely.

I would venture to guess that you nailed it right there. In fact I'd bet the farm on it. We know jack squat about what's really going on.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That's a perfectly reasonable assumption for what is actually going on, in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is right on the money as far as what is up with Sam's thumb and that he needs surgery but is waiting until after the season.

But it still doesn't explain the kind of statements that Rhoads made on Monday. Why even make it?
Because it gives Grant a confidence boost and reward for a good performance heading into the last game of the year?

After all, CPR did also say that the competition would be wide open. That mans that Grant being named he starter means about as little as a Spring two deep does for the first game of the season.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
This is good news. The only way there could be a four way quarterback competition is we get a new OC! The current staff nows the players and couldn't possibly have more than a three way competition.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This is good news. The only way there could be a four way quarterback competition is we get a new OC! The current staff nows the players and couldn't possibly have more than a three way competition.

Uhh...what?

This exemplifies the Mess-bashers--something of a self fulfilling prophecy.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I don't care who starts, as long as they produce.

That said, to me it looked like Richardson has been better than Rohach throughout the season. Richardson has gotten worse because of injury and his reduced running threat has hindered him, but he has way more upside.

Can't understand why CPR would say that Rohach would get the first snaps in the spring with a game left. Who knows what could happen - Rohach could struggle and SR could have a great game and bring us from behind for the win.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
And in the games preceding the Kansas game you saw Rohach doing all those things that you say Sam can't?[/QUOTE

Wuch you talkin' bout willis? I'm guessing in your haste to "message board argue" you missed the part where I said rohach has not been successful and the part about Sam being capable. Carry on.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Don't get it as I felt it obvious Sam is the better QB.

He is currently better, no doubt. However I don't get why he never seemed to want to take a chance on any of the routes run past 10 yards? I know the line wasn't good, but guys don't need to be "obviously open" to throw them the ball. The staff either ruined his confidence, or he just really isn't that good.

I wish I knew the reason our coach made the comment in the first place or how, based on play he came to that conclusion? Also why does every off season result in an instant qb issue? I mean holy shiz, get your stuff together on the offensive side of the ball for flip sake.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Probably because we can't keep a healthy QB while utilizing it. Don't know wtf you're talking about when you mention hype. I know tone is hard to detect in regards to the written word, but if you think I exude hype while talking about GR, then I gotta say I give up. Uncle! All I said was that he is more accurate, which I believe, regardless of how many times you tell me otherwise, and I said that his ceiling is higher as a pocket passer, which I also am convinced of. Now on the other hand, you are wayyy too impassioned about this. Don't believe me, count your posts that relate to this very debate and it is the epitome of redundancy. So let me get this straight, you said that you're, "getting tired of all the SR is not durable and can't stay healthy crap". Are you suggesting that he IS durable and that he IS healthy?

I am saying that if ran any of our QB's, and I mean Rohach as well, as much as we did SR in those first games running the Zone Read they would likely be injured. And as far as accuracy goes, Rohach's numbers do not back up your assertion. IMO, the Kansas game was more of an aberration until I see something differently. In the games leading up to Kanas Rohach's numbers were not good, his completion percentage not good, his INT to TD ratio was not good, his yards per pass attempt not good, and the number of points he directed drives to not good. The games leading up to Kansas not good. The spring game not good. So consider me a skeptic concerning whether Rohach is our QB of the future.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We seem to be paying a lot of attention to Rohach's performance in the Kansas game, but what about Richardson's last year? Both had good stats, but I would have to say that Richardson's passing was better. I recall him making some nice, long throws to guys in stride.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I am saying that if ran any of our QB's, and I mean Rohach as well, as much as we did SR in those first games running the Zone Read they would likely be injured. And as far as accuracy goes, Rohach's numbers do not back up your assertion. IMO, the Kansas game was more of an aberration until I see something differently. In the games leading up to Kanas Rohach's numbers were not good, his completion percentage not good, his INT to TD ratio was not good, his yards per pass attempt not good, and the number of points he directed drives to not good. The games leading up to Kansas not good. The spring game not good. So consider me a skeptic concerning whether Rohach is our QB of the future.

I'll say this, so as to leave behind a pointless continuance of back and forth. I don't care who leads this team to some Ws, whether it be SR, GR, JL, TH, or even DLC if he happens to sign. It's all about the W. Maybe we can agree on that.

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines

I think everyone is skeptical about Rohach at least I would hope they are. Today, if they were both at full strength I am positive Sam would be the QB. Sam is such a playmaker with his feet. I also think there are flaws in his game that would handcuff your play calling and offensive consistency so a staff would be foolish not to explore a guy if they think he has the tools to expand the passing game. This has nothing to do with the Kansas game and this isn't about numbers.

The offense was inept and as easy as it is to blame mess there are a lot of factors along with him. I think wimberly, bibbs and bundrage are the only "plus" players on offense. Lalk and Burton could be next year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think everyone is skeptical about Rohach at least I would hope they are. Today, if they were both at full strength I am positive Sam would be the QB. Sam is such a playmaker with his feet. I also think there are flaws in his game that would handcuff your play calling and offensive consistency so a staff would be foolish not to explore a guy if they think he has the tools to expand the passing game. This has nothing to do with the Kansas game and this isn't about numbers.

The offense was inept and as easy as it is to blame mess there are a lot of factors along with him. I think wimberly, bibbs and bundrage are the only "plus" players on offense. Lalk and Burton could be next year.

WVU game should show us a lot. The proof is in the pudding.