And the Accolades Start Coming In....

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
He's selling the program short. We aren't Nebraska. But whatever, he's pretty close to the existing narrative.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Do people actually get paid to regurgitate the same story? The publicity is great, but goodness, these are all the exact same article. I can go ahead and structure one for the next guy to write a story on Hoiberg:

1) Risky Hire-- Hometown hero
2) Great basketball mind, played for good coaches
3) Gambled on risky transfers
4) Building young talent
5) NBA will come calling

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So is "one of the Big 12's most downtrodden programs".

By the end of the mcdermott era i had been looking it up, i think we may have been the only bcs program to not have made some sort of postseason appearance of any kind during that span. Things were that bad.

The turnaround from that has been nothing short of amazing. A lot of work to be done still but chances are good we're going to be looking at our second 3-peat of tourney appearances all time..... with next year and the following year looking even better (and thats even farther out to look but would be our first time ever going 4x in a row)

Spam

May 21, 2008
Do people actually get paid to regurgitate the same story? The publicity is great, but goodness, these are all the exact same article. I can go ahead and structure one for the next guy to write a story on Hoiberg:

4) Building young talent
5) NBA will come calling

Get ready to hear a million times about why Kane wears number 50 and how Kane gave his shoes to a homeless man and paid for his haircut.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
By the end of the mcdermott era i had been looking it up, i think we may have been the only bcs program to not have made some sort of postseason appearance of any kind during that span. Things were that bad.

The turnaround from that has been nothing short of amazing. A lot of work to be done still but chances are good we're going to be looking at our second 3-peat of tourney appearances all time..... with next year and the following year looking even better (and thats even farther out to look but would be our first time ever going 4x in a row)

This is true, but there are a lot of basketball fans who are surprised when they hear that ISU has won conference titles in the past. They just don't seem to remember the Floyd and Eustachy years, probably because of the turnover immediately following.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

4) Building young talent
5) NBA will come calling

Yes, they do.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
"overlooked recruits" is a bit of a stretch

I'd say Melvin fits the bill given he led a major conference in rebounding and looks like an AA candidate early, but wasn't hyped coming in. Although he wasn't purely just CHF's recruit.

The other contributors the past three years including transfers were all easily on the radar when we brought them in.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So is "one of the Big 12's most downtrodden programs".

This I agree with. We had a few years of sucking under McD. We are tied for second place in Big 12 championships. If we're downtrodden the big 12 is 90% downtrodden programs.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is true, but there are a lot of basketball fans who are surprised when they hear that ISU has won conference titles in the past. They just don't seem to remember the Floyd and Eustachy years, probably because of the turnover immediately following.

Probably also doesnt help that those were over a decade ago and our last one was ultimately overshadowed by one of the most embarrassing first round losses in ncaa history.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Big play by Matt on last shot as Collingsworth was going to pass to his shooter in the corner when Matt went back to guard the guy in the corner. That forced Collingsworth to take the crappy shot.