Hoops Insider: Kane shines in "secret scrimmage"

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
My only concern is that Kane doesn't mesh with this team until late in the season, or not at all. If he starts thinking he has to do it all in order for ISU to win, we could be facing a Pierre Jackson and Baylor type situation this year.

There's a dreamy reason this will never happen.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
My only concern is that Kane doesn't mesh with this team until late in the season, or not at all. If he starts thinking he has to do it all in order for ISU to win, we could be facing a Pierre Jackson and Baylor type situation this year.

Wait What? Pierre Jackson was the reason Baylor made it as far as they did. He led the league in pts (19.8) and assts (7.1), had nearly a 2 to 1 turnover ratio, averaged 1.5 stls a game and 3.8 rb's/game. If Kane has that type of production this year. Great! If the others on our team lay an egg like the other Baylor players did last year and fred somehow loses 98% of his Brain capacity to drop to Drew's mental capabilities, that's on them (Although I think both of those are highly unlikely). If Kane is anything like Pierre Jackson, we will be sitting pretty this year.

Reactions: JBone84

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.

I don't see this happening with CFH as coach. One of the reasons Kane likely chose ISU was the fact that CFH was here. No doubt, Kane would like to put himself in a position to make the NBA, and he probably saw this as good of an opportunity to do that as anywhere. I'm guessing he will listen very carefully to what CFH has to say, and hopefully is smart enough to follow his instruction.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Why are people suddenly saying SDW isn't ready/going to play/ etc.? I haven't heard or read anything about him one way or the other. Is that what it's based on? Not super surprised though; have been expecting him to be competing with Naz/Bluford for that share of off the bench G minutes.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Also, going to get Cyclones TV for the first time. Are games shown only live like network TV or is it like having a DVR where you can start the game whenever/pause it?

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Also, going to get Cyclones TV for the first time. Are games shown only live like network TV or is it like having a DVR where you can start the game whenever/pause it?

If it is like last year, you cannot pause it live. A replay will be available about 2 hours or so after the game that one could pause.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Naz has been said to be one of, if not the, most improved players on the roster.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
And best defenders, and can shoot the three. Don't judge a guy off his true freshman year on a deep team.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Why are people suddenly saying SDW isn't ready/going to play/ etc.? I haven't heard or read anything about him one way or the other. Is that what it's based on? Not super surprised though; have been expecting him to be competing with Naz/Bluford for that share of off the bench G minutes.

I don't think this is something out of the blue. SDW is the player on the team that gets the most polarized views from this board and I think that stems all the way back to the Cap city game this year that he put up (something like?) 60+ points. I think a lot of posters are putting quite a bit of stock in the fact that he had a great game in the cap city league and therefore must be very improved and capable of starting. I'm not sure that there really has been any hype on SDW outside of that game and possibly his recruitment a few years ago that portrays him as a possible starter. I'm in the camp of the cap city doesnt do much for me and from what I've seen by posters on here is that I don't think he's going to be starting (and I'll be honest, I feel he'll be behind Naz and Bluford on the bench). Mainly a gut feeling as I don't have any ties to the program that would lead me one way or another but I think a lot of the posters on here with the thought that he'll start are in the same position as I am.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There was also hype whey Fred said SDW would have been in last years rotation if he wasn't Redshirting.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I would be surprised if minutes played in a secret scrimmage mean much. Would expect players whose roles are uncertain and those who just need more run to be given more time at the expense of solid guys like Ejim and Niang.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if Naz tends to play when Kane takes a rest, sort of as co-PG with Morris and to be the good D guard when Kane is out.

Last edited: