Hoops Insider: Kane shines in "secret scrimmage"

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
There was also hype whey Fred said SDW would have been in last years rotation if he wasn't Redshirting.

Plus the fact that SDW was a Rivals top 150 (actually 125) recruit. Just needed a development year to get in shape and add some size, which he did. Count me as one that is very excited to see him play this year.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Plus the fact that SDW was a Rivals top 150 (actually 125) recruit. Just needed a development year to get in shape and add some size, which he did. Count me as one that is very excited to see him play this year.

We have a few of those types of recruits in the lineup this year. Think that Thomas and Morris probably fall into that very talented young player type as well Naz has had a year to develop also.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Percy played less than Edozie in the scrimmage, so that says a lot.

Naz will likely play a significant role though.
That is a slippage as fred originally was pumping PGibson couple months ago. Maybe the Cap League is an indicator.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Hopefully he develops fast, because he has the potential be be our best player on offense... He's pretty well rounded with dribbling driving and shooting ability.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I would be surprised if minutes played in a secret scrimmage mean much. Would expect players whose roles are uncertain and those who just need more run to be given more time at the expense of solid guys like Ejim and Niang.

Also, wouldn't be surprised if Naz tends to play when Kane takes a rest, sort of as co-PG with Morris and to be the good D guard when Kane is out.

That 2 minutes every game my buttcheeks will be fully clenched.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That is a slippage as fred originally was pumping PGibson couple months ago. Maybe the Cap League is an indicator.
The fact that Percy couldn't be bothered to run down the court?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Morris will need to get ready fast to man the Point when Kane needs a breath. It hurt us last year when Bubu wasn't there for Lucious.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Morris will need to get ready fast to man the Point when Kane needs a breath. It hurt us last year when Bubu wasn't there for Lucious.

It sounds like Morris and Naz are first off the bench. I take that to mean Morris is progressing well.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Hopefully they are progressing well enough that we can be in a three guard lineup more often than not. Unless Ejim and Niang are prepared to play the entire game that is, otherwise we will need Hogue see some of their minutes.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
Standing a little taller today. I realized I own that same tie Fred is wearing in that picture. I should print it off and use it to pick up women while wearing said tie.

In all seriousness, a line up of Kane, Thomas, Houge, Ejim and Niang excites me.

Of course, just knowing that Cyclone basketball is around the corner excites me.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I bet SDW will play somewhere in between 5-12 minutes per game. A lot of it depends on if Bluford is shooting the ball well. SDW is a pretty streaky player. I could easily see him getting in a groove and passing Long/Bluford in minutes.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I bet SDW will play somewhere in between 5-12 minutes per game. A lot of it depends on if Bluford is shooting the ball well. SDW is a pretty streaky player. I could easily see him getting in a groove and passing Long/Bluford in minutes.

I tend to agree. He and Bluford will sort of be used interchangeably this year. Whoever has the hot hand, and which ever one is more consistent (at all facets).

I see them each having a couple of really big games, where they go off. I also see them having several games where they aren't effective.

How much they play will to some degree be determined by how ineffective our offense is at times. I think they'll be the "instant offense" subs if we're not able to score or the other teams starting to pull away.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
The determining factor in playing time will be who can play defense. There was a reason why McGee didn't start.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
The determining factor in playing time will be who can play defense. There was a reason why McGee didn't start.

We had Babb and McGee wasn't a PG? Or because he was a 6-1 SG when we had a 5-11 PG?