Hoops Insider: Kane shines in "secret scrimmage"

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think it's encouraging that we played close to a good team like Creighton (7 seed last year, with lots of maturity, talent and experience).

We have 3 guys starting who weren't on campus until June, so I think that's very encouraging.

Obviously for guys like Thomas and Morris, this year will have some ups and downs, but Sunday's scrimmage was a great opportunity to get some quality experience against good players.

If Niang and Ejim were fairly low key, that tells you that we have some upside.

Reading between the lines, after Morris and Naz, there isn't anyone that is stepping up and looking good consistently. Hopefully between Edozie and Percy, we can get some quality play in the post when needed, AND it will definitely be needed.

Between SDW and Bluford, hopefully we can find some instant offense when needed throughout the year. That will likely be their role so hopefully one of them is "on" more times than not.
We probably even had a copy of the 600 page Mcd/CU playbook.

Ranking the Most Dynamic 3-Point Shooting Teams in College Basketball | Bleacher Report

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That's why I get the feeling Hogue becomes either someone off the bench or goes to the bench early for a 3rd guard then comes back in for Ejim/Niang. Unless Gibson breaks out this year or those two are better at not getting fouls.

It really sounds like our 5 best players are Niang, EJim, Kane, Thomas and Hogue, so I think they'll have trouble keeping him off the floor like that. It doesn't sound like he's got that McGee instant-offense game where he's more valuable coming off the bench. We're going to want him out there rebounding and defending.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My only concern is that Kane doesn't mesh with this team until late in the season, or not at all. If he starts thinking he has to do it all in order for ISU to win, we could be facing a Pierre Jackson and Baylor type situation this year.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Guessing Niang and Ejim didn't play as much as they normally would since its a way for coaches to figure out different lineups and combinations and a way to evaluate new guys.

Funny that It says Thomas wasn't flashy but another source has him scoring 19.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
My only concern is that Kane doesn't mesh with this team until late in the season, or not at all. If he starts thinking he has to do it all in order for ISU to win, we could be facing a Pierre Jackson and Baylor type situation this year.

But it sounds like he's really liking the fact that he doesn't have to do everything for our team, and has really bought into leading and doing whatever it takes to win. I think having guys like Niang and Ejim to go along with Fred's great psychological management, we should be fine. We'll certainly see less of that, IMO than with Chris Allen and KL.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Guessing Niang and Ejim didn't play as much as they normally would since its a way for coaches to figure out different lineups and combinations and a way to evaluate new guys.

Funny that It says Thomas wasn't flashy but another source has him scoring 19.

That was a report of a previous intra-squad scrimmage, if I'm not mistaken.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I guess that really depends on everyone else, right? I'm sure Jackson would have preferred some help but when you have loafers like Jefferson & Austin that are counting down the days to their first pro payday and one of the whitest white guys ever as your main running mates he was kind of forced in to that as he was seemingly the only that gave a crap for most of the season.

That's not going to happen with Ejim and Niang, Kane will have no reason to think that he needs to take over ala Jackson.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
How do these "secret scrimmages" work? Do they do this in an abandoned warehouse somewhere? Armed guards? Do you need the secret knock, and somebody opens the slider in the door and asks for the password? If the police come in, does everyone pretend they're rehearsing for a musical or something?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How do these "secret scrimmages" work? Do they do this in an abandoned warehouse somewhere? Armed guards? Do you need the secret knock, and somebody opens the slider in the door and asks for the password? If the police come in, does everyone pretend they're rehearsing for a musical or something?

You just press your buttcheeks up against the glass doors and it's up to the powers that be if you've got what they're looking for.

3fromDeep

Jul 30, 2013
Based off of the unofficial reporting of the unofficiated unofficial game... I have two words:

Final Four

Last edited:

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
the more I think about it the more encouraging it is. CU played pretty well last year. and they are right on the borderline of being ranked preseason. against our two proven starters, with two transfers and a freshman starting. and we played them pretty close. cant be to upset about what we are hearing.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
the more I think about it the more encouraging it is. CU played pretty well last year. and they are right on the borderline of being ranked preseason. against our two proven starters, with two transfers and a freshman starting. and we played them pretty close. cant be to upset about what we are hearing.

I agree, especially when you consider how much improvement the team has shown over the course of the season the past few years. If we're starting out competing with a talented/experienced team like Creighton, then this team could have a pretty high ceiling this year.

cysox2

Nov 30, 2011
Newhall
If coaches were concerned with the final score wouldn't they just play another exhibition? I wouldn't take anything away from it being a close game. While we all know that there is a lot of potential with this team and they may reach that potential it seems a bit premature to heap the lofty expectations on them as a lot of people on here have.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hope Dorsey-Walker improves over the course of the season and sees some quality minutes as we get into the conference schedule. I really view him as a future plug-and-chug offensive weapon.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Well...but...uh...wouldn't that be awesome? According to Hawk fans Baylor won the national championship.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron