Hoops Insider: Kane shines in "secret scrimmage"

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
But did he lead us in assists, blocks, and steals too, a la Royce?

Ejim didn't lead the team in rebounding? Time to panic people!

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Based on preseason reporting I've changed my expectations of the team quite a bit. I now think this team is going to be all-Kane all the time. I'm thinking he leads the team in pts and assists and second in rebounding, playing 37+ minutes a game.

Glad to hear that Hogue is playing well, he's a real key. I think there's a decent chance that come conference season, when Ejim or Niang sit down Hogue slides down to the 4 and we bring in another guard. Unless Percy or Edozie really step it up.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I'd be interested in seeing the 3-point shooting statistics but I suppose I can wait until next week.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
I would like to know about sweating. Who had the most and least perspiration?

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Makes you wonder what this team would look like if we didn't land Kane

I think we were a bubble team or worse without him. I really think he put us over the hump to be a tourney team. How much over the hump remains to be seen.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I really hope this is the last year we have to rely on a 1-year "patch" for our PG position.

I'm happy Kane is on our team and starting strong, but I'm also looking forward to a year when Fred doesn't have to plug in a transfer and our team can come out stronger in Nov & Dec instead of tanking a couple months to gel.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think it's encouraging that we played close to a good team like Creighton (7 seed last year, with lots of maturity, talent and experience).

We have 3 guys starting who weren't on campus until June, so I think that's very encouraging.

Obviously for guys like Thomas and Morris, this year will have some ups and downs, but Sunday's scrimmage was a great opportunity to get some quality experience against good players.

If Niang and Ejim were fairly low key, that tells you that we have some upside.

Reading between the lines, after Morris and Naz, there isn't anyone that is stepping up and looking good consistently. Hopefully between Edozie and Percy, we can get some quality play in the post when needed, AND it will definitely be needed.

Between SDW and Bluford, hopefully we can find some instant offense when needed throughout the year. That will likely be their role so hopefully one of them is "on" more times than not.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I really hope this is the last year we have to rely on a 1-year "patch" for our PG position.

I'm happy Kane is on our team and starting strong, but I'm also looking forward to a year when Fred doesn't have to plug in a transfer and our team can come out stronger in Nov & Dec instead of tanking a couple months to gel.

"Hi"

Monte-Morris-Committe-2013_1_634_336_84_sha-30_imagesvwatermark-sml.png_400_250_30_r_b_-10_-10_rot270_s_336_634_061df1133d2dcfac_rot90-1.jpg

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

You know Monte Morris is a freshman, right? And it sounds like he's going to get plenty of minutes this season. Is that good enough for you?

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

With Morris and Custer, I think PG will be a position of strength for us for the next 3-4 years.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I wouldn't hold your breath. Fred seems very content to stay the course. But, even if we sign someone like Vaughn, or any freshman, for that matter, will they suddenly not need to "gel" like a transfer would? Seems to me "gelling" would need to take place whenever you bring in new players, whether they be transfers or high school players.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron