Ethos article on Bubu Palo and his false accusation

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The Comeback Kid | Ethos magazine

In December, Palo got the answers he had so desperately sought. The female was deposed for two days, during which she stated that she had washed the shirt she wore the night of the incident and then misplaced it. The female found the shirt in a drawer at her mother’s house the day after her deposition, five and a half months after the alleged incident. When the shirt was presented as evidence on Dec. 1, 2012, a 5- to 6-inch-long tear gaped across the front. The female’s boyfriend had come to her residence after the alleged assault, where, according to Boles, the two remained for approximately an hour before deciding to go to the hospital. According to Boles, the female’s boyfriend, the sexual assault nurse and case detective Suzy Owens all testified the tear was not there that night at the hospital.
Finding the mismatch of the new evidence and subsequent depositions troubling, Boles motioned for the shirt to be sent to Chesterine Cwiklik—owner of Cwiklik & Associates, a microscopy and forensic consulting lab in Seattle—to be analyzed.
The case never made it to trial. Scientific analysis, Cwiklik deposed, determined it was impossible the shirt had been torn before laundering. Prosecutors concluded the female had manufactured the evidence, stories became muddled and the female’s case fell apart. The charges against Palo and Cruise were officially dropped Jan. 14, freeing the two of all legal consequences and allowing Palo to be reinstated to the basketball team. “I didn’t do anything wrong,” Palo says of that May night. “There’s a lot written about me that’s false … It’s still kind of tough to think that someone could put someone through that. I’m still coping with forgiving her and moving on.”

Wow. That chick should rot in jail for whatever sentence he could have gone to jail for.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
And there were many here that were p*ssed when he was cleared and allowed back immediately.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Amazing information.

We all need to remember: innocent until proven guilty! We're all too quick to judge based on our preconceived notions and assumptions.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Great article. Thanks for linking.

You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Not that he would want to, but could a man in this situation sue the woman for libel/slander/etc? It seems unfair that his name is/was ruined and she made up evidence yet her name is sheltered.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
Great article. Thanks for linking.

You know, since Bubu and the other guy had their names dragged through the mud for a few months by this story I think it's only fair that the women who invented this "assault" have her name made public and be held accountable for what she did. I might not be as forgiving as Bubu apparently is.
Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Pretty much the story I heard. Basically the girls boyfriend found out she cheated on him, so she said it was rape, and it all took off from there. Lots of ill sentiment to the girl from Ames natives, and rightfully so.

Confirms what I was thinking after reading the article. A cowardly snap decision made by a person caught red-handed has caused so many people pain. Hopefully the public shame she's brought on herself is enough punishment. And hopefully her boyfriend left her in the dust.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Lots of people know who the girl is. "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind"

So you would have the same opinion if somebody actually did rape a woman? "Hey we could send the rapist to jail and make his name public and everything, but we can't just go around sending people to jail for crimes, can we?"

She should go to jail for libel and tampering with evidence and whatever else she did.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Based on how Bubu was treated by some during his suspension for these false allegations, I wouldn't be comfortable putting the names of accusers out there to be trashed. I think it might be OK in this case, but how do you determine which cases deserve "shunning" and which ones deserve sympathy? Because whatever's done here will be used as precedent the next time an ISU athlete is accused of something like this, and people will jump the gun on releasing the accuser's name because "look at what happened to Bubu".

Based on current events, I think he got about as much out of this situation as he's going to get. The prosecutors flat out said "She lied, this rape never happened". What's he going to get out of her? Drag her through the mud where she belongs, and have people whispering "Yeah, he didn't rape her, but he perpetuated the culture where rape victims aren't believed. Which is just as bad."

He could bust his *** to tear her down (rightfully so), and have loons alleging that the rape actually happened but that the prosecutors covered it up to help ISU Bball? Remember, there are still people who believe that Tawana Brawley was raped, even though her story fell apart faster & further than this story did. Bubu is a smart kid. I think he saw a no-win situation and made the decision that put it behind him as quickly as possible. It sucks, but that's the nature of the world we live in.

There's no winners in this story, and the revelation that the rape allegations were BS didn't change that one bit.

Maybe it would discourage women from claiming false rape?

H

HGPuck

Rape is a very real and serious societal problem. False claims of rape make the problem worse and is also a problem on its own. Public campaigns against the accused or the alleged victims in no way help either problem.

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
So you would have the same opinion if somebody actually did rape a woman? "Hey we could send the rapist to jail and make his name public and everything, but we can't just go around sending people to jail for crimes, can we?"

She should go to jail for libel and tampering with evidence and whatever else she did.
good question I guess, Idk how to answer. Justice is a strange thing. I think its best to just move on like I think bubu is.

I suppose to fuel further discussion you have to ask yourself what role the justice system should take. Is it to punish people? Or is it to rehab them? If I remember correct you were one that was trashing both Spencer and bubu in the original thread, maybe rightly so. But you don't know them and you don't know the girl. One mistake doesn't warrant a life to be ruined, and it doesn't warrant judgment of someones character. No one wins when things like this happen.

Last edited:

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Maybe it would discourage women from claiming false rape?

You would hope so. But the fact is that this girl's (former?) boyfriend knows about her lies. Her mother & father know about her lies. All her friends know about her lies. People in Ames who know her name but don't know her all that well know about her lies.

Someday, her name will leak out. But until then, she's going to have to go into Witness Protection to find a community that doesn't know her as a lying witch. And I still don't see the upside for Bubu in pursuing this further. Him doing so would serve a bigger purpose, but I understand if he chooses to let it go & get on with his life.

Hell, who knows? Maybe he really DOES forgive her for lying about him? That would make him a better man than me, but that's a definite possibility.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I have a question about the DNA - is it correct in my understanding that evidence was tampered too, like the shirt? How did his DNA get on the condom?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have a question about the DNA - is it correct in my understanding that evidence was tampered too, like the shirt? How did his DNA get on the condom?

I think the idea is that anything that went down that night was consensual and after the girl's boyfriend found out she claimed rape.

It's an ugly situation and it is pretty brave of Bubu to speak out.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I think the idea is that anything that went down that night was consensual and after the girl's boyfriend found out she claimed rape.
Gotcha - if one part of the evidence is tampered, it's fair to assume you can't trust any of the evidence..

Help Support Us

Become a patron