Yikes - ISU Slam on CNNSI

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I plan always keep ISU games in mind when scheduling things, I've never missed a Big 12 home game in the two years I have had tickets and I have probably made 90% of the non-conference home games, including a couple that students didn't have tickets to.

Sad news is the hardcore fan base is dying away. I was trying to cheer every time down the court on defense, but I'd get going, take a breath, and realize no one else was cheering, which kind of takes the air out of you as well.

We're are all well aware that ISU basketball games were "cool" back in the day, and that Hilton Magic was all the rage then. Personally I feel I am being robbed of the opportunity to participate in Hilton Magic because the spirit has died away.

I believe the crowd can be largely responsible for getting a win at home even when the team isn't that good, it is sad that isn't the case right now, the men's team is 3-0 at home now in Big 12 play, and they have pretty much done it by themselves, with the crowd feeding off them rather than them feeding off the crowd.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
It is all about winning folks. If this team was 18-3 instead of 13-8, the student section would be packed. A lot of students aren't as obsessed with ISU athletics as we are. Especially, when we are an average team.

If this is the case, the athletic department needs to make less student tickets available, and move the section. If the students aren't willing to support, stop selling the seats cheap and leaving them empty.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
It is all about winning folks. If this team was 18-3 instead of 13-8, the student section would be packed. A lot of students aren't as obsessed with ISU athletics as we are. Especially, when we are an average team.
Exactly, the students on this board are not the problem. Its the Students who don't give two ***** about the basketball team but still buy tickets anyway.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
during our Big12 run 00-02, there were very few empty seats... VERY very few (unless a bus couldn't get to Ames because of weather). While I didn't have season tickets I made it to 4-5 games each year.

During my first and second stint at ISU (91-92 and 93-95) there were BIG home conference games that weren't filled up completely by fans and students. And those were games with 'The Mayor'.

I really don't think anything matters but winning and having a shot to beat a ranked team at Hilton for it to be packed and stacked to the rafters.

-keep

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I hope we haven't fallen so far that we have to have a top 10 team in order to get students to an ISU basketball game. :eek:

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
As you can tell by looking at this fan, the Iowa State student section isn't the most exciting place in the world.

Yes, everyone, look at this one picture of a dude with a beer belly standing with a funny face and let's judge ISU's entire student section in all sports on a photo that could have been taken at any point in the game. Nevermind that he's covered in body paint. Only stupid, lazy fans go through the trouble of putting that on (and the even longer process of washing it off). The photo was probably taken during a timeout...notice all of the people sitting down?

We don't need morons like the guy who wrote this using uninformed sloth as an excuse for journalism. Too bad other fan bases will look at this and immediately assume all ISU fans suck. Good grief.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Yes, everyone, look at this one picture of a dude with a beer belly standing with a funny face and let's judge ISU's entire student section in all sports on a photo that could have been taken at any point in the game. Nevermind that he's covered in body paint. Only stupid, lazy fans go through the trouble of putting that on (and the even longer process of washing it off). The photo was probably taken during a timeout...notice all of the people sitting down?

We don't need morons like the guy who wrote this using uninformed sloth as an excuse for journalism. Too bad other fan bases will look at this and immediately assume all ISU fans suck. Good grief.

It is a shame though that this guy has a link in his horrible journalism to an ISU paper discussing the horrible attendance of students with our atletic director quoted as saying it has to change.

CycloneTony

Nov 3, 2007
Indianola
that means better tickets for non students woohoo lol JK it always seems worse to non fans of ISU than us fans most of us were fans trough the 80's u could hear crickets at hilton this is not bad as then.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
i dont understand this win and they will come stuff, we are undefeated in big 12 play at home and people still dont show up i think its the opposite once we show up ISU will win more consistently. having something to play for is way more motivating than playing in order to get something to play for. my dad told me stories of the 70's and 80's when the stands would be packed all the time even when our team was not that good, i hope it can get back to that, before we get good. im not a big fair weather fan guy, thats for the sqawks

Do you actually think the average ISU student knows that we are 3-0 at home in the Big XII? Hell no they don't! All they know is this year's team is average and nothing to get too worked up about. They see that it is 5 degrees outside and decide, "well, I can watch it on TV in the comfort of my own apartment." You guys overestimate the average fan. Going to basketball games isn't as "cool" as it used to be, apparently.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
No way... how could they report this?

We were the number one student section according to ESPN last year.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA

Billboard material, maybe we should (I think I am going to) send this to Cyclone Alley and they can send it out to all the members or even to Jamie Pollard. He can use it to tell all the ISU students that this is what everyone else thinks of you, maybe you should do something about it.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
disturbing - even when we struggled my first few years as a student, there weren't any empty seats during Big XII play. Maybe they should do away with CA and go back to the lottery system.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
That definitely should be sent to every member of Cyclone Alley and every person who bought season tickets. Glad I am not a student anymore for that one...

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I'm not defending those that don't go, I'm just stating the current state of school spirit at ISU. I have attended 12 of the 13 home games this season.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I do find it a bit strange that more students don't go to the game for me, especially on weekdays. On the weekends more stuff is going on that I might want to do. On a weeknight yeah I may have homework or a test to study for but socially a lot less is going on so hey I get together with friends and head over to the basketball game(ISU may be mediocre but Wartburg is bad 6-12 eck). The homework and other stuff can wait a few hours while I go out and cheer on the team.