***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
If you were building new it really wouldn't be terrible expensive to do that at ground level would it? My biggest problem would be not filling it up with stuff. It would be a great place to store important stuff though.
We’ve talked about having one that’s dual purpose - like also a closet. Not sure about the cost of ICF, but if a person had the ability to build with it, it might be worth it. https://www.foxblocks.com/blog/home-construction-built-endure-hurricanes

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I’ve been in an F3 and the Greenfield damage looks A LOT worse.
Wondering if it's because it wasn't all that wide of a tornado? I have no clue how they rate them, but watching the Weather Channel this morning they had a drone up following the very clear path through town and they said even though it had multiple vortices it wasn't more than 2 or 3 houses wide based on the path of destruction. Again, I don't know if that is a consideration in rating them or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Wondering if it's because it wasn't all that wide of a tornado? I have no clue how they rate them, but watching the Weather Channel this morning they had a drone up following the very clear path through town and they said even though it had multiple vortices it wasn't more than 2 or 3 houses wide based on the path of destruction. Again, I don't know if that is a consideration in rating them or not.
The one I was in was very narrow. Maybe as wide as a football field? It actually went right through the middle of a long pole shed and left each end standing while gutting the middle completely.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Guys, the survey isn't done. EF-3 is confirmed, but still subject to change.

More in-depth examination needed to confirm EF-4 or 5 damage indicators.

Doesn't make a difference if the final rating is today or tomorrow or the next day.

Gotta cross the t's and dot the i's if your work is going to be part of official record.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Guys, the survey isn't done. EF-3 is confirmed, but still subject to change.

More in-depth examination needed to confirm EF-4 or 5 damage indicators.

Doesn't make a difference if the final rating is today or tomorrow or the next day.

Gotta cross the t's and dot the i's if your work is going to be part of official record.
The 40,000 foot debris signature would indicate the EF-3 rating will probably change.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I know this won’t appease the folks trying to farm reclaimed duck habitat, but Brad Edwards says Des Moines is less than a half inch above average on precip for the year. YMMV.

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
If the Minden to Manila ‘nader was tagged an EF4, the swath of destruction in Greenfield is nowhere close. That said, bad is bad.
That's not how it works though.

There's a good video interview out there with Tim Marshall, that explains all this much better. But he gave a version of it at his talk in 2023 at the Central Iowa NWA Doppler Radar and Severe Storms Conference, and has kindly let me use some of his PowerPoint deck for presentations to groups now.

He's a forensic meteorologist/engineer. He's been responsible for developing and updating the damage indicators with the EF-scale, and some in progress updates.

You can't just "eyeball" it. Shoddy construction, improperly installed, missing, old, etc etc can really make you vulnerable to much lower windspeeds.

"All walls gone," which is the quick and dirty explanation of EF-4, can actually occurring in a low-end EF-3 depending on construction.

Check out the lower bound values here on the single family residence damage indicators.

"Swab swept clean" can occur with estimated top-end EF-3 winds. You can't get an accurate EF rating solely from drone views.

SmartSelect_20240522_190508_Chrome.jpg

FDWxMan

Jan 31, 2009
Des Moines
Long story short, you can't just eyeball it and get an accurate rating from a drone view.

Might be easy to pick out a bunch of 9s, or even a couple 10s, but now the real work begins to put together an accurate estimate. So you get a preliminary EF3 on first pass since that is the lower bound. Further evidence may change that.

DIs for other stuff are here

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
not sure why people even care what it was rated. lives lost, lives ruined, homes destroyed, etc. really doesn't matter what it was rated.
If there's an earthquake with lives lost, does the Richter number not matter?

I don't think anyone is downplaying the loss of property and lives. The biggest eye opener for me, as a dog lover, is seeing that impact and the number of lost pets. Aheinz is staying busy trying to help.

Reactions: MJ29

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If there's an earthquake with lives lost, does the Richter number not matter?

I don't think anyone is downplaying the loss of property and lives. The biggest eye opener for me, as a dog lover, is seeing that impact and the number of lost pets. Aheinz is staying busy trying to help.

Having an indicator of size immediately like with a Richter scale is useful when reporting about the immediate impact. Having a scale that you may not know the impact for days after doesn’t really do much good other than talking about it over coffee.

It would be much more useful to develop an indicator based on wind speed and elevation to be able to give immediate indicators of strength and impact. Maybe this is asking too much for the radar technology that we have available? Cause what we saw with the multiple funnel clouds seemed a different beast than some of the smaller tornados that we’ve seen this season. Yet there’s not really a method to describe the size of them in the moment.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Having an indicator of size immediately like with a Richter scale is useful when reporting about the immediate impact. Having a scale that you may not know the impact for days after doesn’t really do much good other than talking about it over coffee.

It would be much more useful to develop an indicator based on wind speed and elevation to be able to give immediate indicators of strength and impact. Maybe this is asking too much for the radar technology that we have available? Cause what we saw with the multiple funnel clouds seemed a different beast than some of the smaller tornados that we’ve seen this season. Yet there’s not really a method to describe the size of them in the moment.

But why does it matter how fast the rating comes out?

Knowing whether it's an EF3 or EF5 isn't going to change anything that has already happened.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
But why does it matter how fast the rating comes out?

Knowing whether it's an EF3 or EF5 isn't going to change anything that has already happened.
I agree, but I I could also see insurance companies that are already facing financial pressure leverage a payout system that is influenced by a damage rating: "We aren't going to cover your house to the same extent as your neighbors due to your construction methods or not being built to our updated standards....blah blah blah....because you weren't built to handle an EF2 and they were", or some such justification

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm not sure if this is one path, two paths, or just a cell that was throwing funnels willy nilly. What I could gather from flipping the local channels is that a funnel was verified north of Waukee, it progressed to near the Grimes area and crossed Saylorville just south of the mile long bridge. From there is passed south of Huxley and hit White Oak. I'm unsure whether this is the same funnel that flipped the semi's at the I-35 rest area or not. Probably so. From there it passed Cambridge and crossed US30 just east of Nevada. At that point I had to disengage for other distractions.
I have the general path. I was hoping to see drone footage of the path between Cambridge & Colo to see what proximity it had to us.