Yikes - ISU Slam on CNNSI

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
i hope all the students realize that games at Hilton during your 4 years as a student are the best they will ever be. I totally miss those experiences, and would love to have them back. It is just different after you graduate - especially if you do not live in Central Iowa (as i suspect many won't). The comraderie, after-game drinks, etc are all much different after you leave school. Don't take it for granted - it will soon be over.

EXACTLY!!! This is what I dont get..they dont realize how inexpensice the tickets they have for the quality of seats they're getting! No to mention the how easy it is to get to Hilton for them. Not true once you leave Ames.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I get tired of this crap. We have more students in our section than Iowa has at their games total. Here is a good example of what winning does for your attendance. Look at Drake. They couldn't get 3000 people at their game until the starting winning. Now you can't get a ticket. That article has no business poking fun at ISU because that is the way most student sections are in basketball anymore. Look at colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou, Baylor, OU, Northwestern, Minny etc. Bad basketball student sections. If we were rated 15th in the country and 19-3 there wouldn't be an empty student seat in the place.
I think they could have chose someone else to pick on in my Opinion.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
The reason it is a story now and being picked on is because Hilton is known (used to be known as) a tough place to play. None of the other places are.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
The only reason they wrote that is because they saw the article linked in the other thread.

No students... no balcony - Sports

I thought someone made the great point about student no-shows looking worse because they automatically sit closer, then the balcony looks even more empty.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
If I was a student at Iowa State...I would be at every basketball game (even the ones over break), but I guess I am just a diehard. Kinda pathetic to hear this about our students. I thought we had some of the best fans around. Not used to hearing negatives about our attendance at anything sports related. We set all sorts of football attendance records, our womens attendance is up there in the NATION most years. Sad that the support isn't fully there for the mens bball team.

bandit

Apr 21, 2006
Wasn't Hilton just last year picked as the toughest place to play in or something like that?

I agree with Brian Hos, when I was in school (late 90's) we'd wait in line, regardless of weather or day of the week to get in. I didn't mind this because:
A: Fizer, Tinsley and company were fun to watch
B: What else was I going to do, study?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
That article was crap. (not the Daily article, that was fine) But I have several bones to pick with that article, the chief one being that they used a football picture several months old to try and say something about basketball attendance. If you really wanted to, you could find a similarly built shirtless person looking disgusted at any football game in America. Then, when you click on their second link inside the article it shows a . . . cyclone room set? Again, that makes absolutely no sense in regards to the article's theme. They do not bring up any statistics that shows that we are getting blown out of the water comparatively to any other major university other than one student newspaper article saying we need more attendance. They then try and rag on our fans and make them sound terrible compared to every other university, which is ludicrous. it is a thoroughly, disturbingly-terrible article from the pictures to the links to the tone.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
When I attended ISU we always looked forward to going to the games. It didn't matter if we had intramurals (for one season our IM chair somehow signed us up for basketball games on Wednesdays - what an idiot) or if we had exams the next day. Back in the day you were assigned 4 different seats for the season. Whenever we had our arena circle seats we would show up 45 minutes before tip-off just to soak in the atmosphere. Those were great times. We never missed a home game. Screaming at the opponents,cheering on the Clones in Hilton and watching Johnny get mad were some of the best memories I had at ISU (at least the ones I can remember when I wasn't in an alcoholic stupor - Gotta love VEISHEA when you ended classes on Wednesday)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe Wayne's Games were more pell mell and more exciting? Maybe Johnny Orr was the attraction. Ojat. How anout LE yelling at the refs? Could be. How about Cato, Homan, Fizer. Yeah.

To attract students you must have excitement. Loyalty comes with winning. Right now we are more of a plain jane team that wins a little more than half the time. Things will change with success. Of course, there was
the proper debby downer letter to CA about chants also. Take a poll of only CA members on what they think...

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
*sigh* Stuff like this makes me glad I'm getting out now. I see this animosity festering in the near future.

There's got to be a better way. How about this. You know that big block of tickets you get at the start of the year? Forget it. It's gone. Let's modernize things a bit. Have all students pick up their tickets at Will Call immediately before every game. Assigned seating. You walk in, swipe your ISUCard, and get a ticket. If you know you're going to be attending games, pay the full season ticket price in advance and have the cost of the tickets deducted from an account. If you want to go to certain games, have the price of the ticket charged to your U-Bill as you pick your ticket up. 30 minutes before gametime, open up all available "student section" seats to the public.

Aldude505

Jan 19, 2008
Iowa Falls
I dont know what the deal is with the student section...if anything we, as the students, should realize that we play better when we are at home. So why not help out our athletic teams and go to the big basketball and football games???

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Free tickets for people willing to do their thing:

cc_iowastate2.jpg

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Poor journalism. Iowa State always ranks high in attendance compared to other D1 programs even when we have nothing to cheer about. Talk Colorado if you want to write crap like this. Couldn't even get a pic inside Hilton. Anyone got a link to respond to this article?

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
All this lottery talk and such really wont have an impact on anything. It will just make it more competitive for the people that are currently attending the games, such as myself. If a student isn't goin to the games now, why would they care if they got stuck sitting in worse seats if they did come to the games?....which they don't.

The only way all this is solved is if ISU basketball becomes "in vogue" again, and the only way thats gonna happen is if ISU basketball has a special season that ignites excitement in the general fan base. Drake doesn't have better fans, they just are more excited. I'm betting quite a few of those Bulldog (now closet Hawkeye) don't have a clue about anything from Korver to Keno.

...and I am not a fan of CA, and I'm a member of it. I would rather just have a general student section. It would be just as effective and the people that are turned off by it would no longer have an excuse not to come. It seemed cool as a Fresh, but its lost its appeal to me IMO

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
disturbing - even when we struggled my first few years as a student, there weren't any empty seats during Big XII play. Maybe they should do away with CA and go back to the lottery system.

I agree! For all that CA does, I think it discourages students coming when they know they are restricted to the nose bleed section