Andre Lewis AND Allen Lazard?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I've been just in awe of recruiting over the past few days. Having watched Cyclone recruiting for over thirty years, I don't think I've seen such a stretch for ISU football. Basketball, maybe, but not football.

I'm not going to pretend to be privy to CPR's thought processes, and I don't mean to slight the likes of Quenton Bundrage, Dondre Daley, P.J. Harris, or the rest of the young receivers. But I had a few thoughts about the two big names at wideout which have plunked into our laps the last few days.

Andre Lewis
is a force all unto himself. According to published accounts, he had a great time in Ames last weekend, fit in with the players, and has to be excited about the possibilities of playing for Paul Rhoads and the Cyclones. I can't blame him. I do have to wonder, however, whether Allen Lazard's commitment might have given him pause.

I certainly hope not. After all, he would have a year to arrive, a season to get established, before Allen ever arrives. Not only that, with all of the young receivers, he'd be a centerpiece, a guy with size, physical maturity, and a degree of post-high school experience that most of the returning receivers don't have, he'd complement them perfectly. Then, a year later, when Lazard arrives, as a senior he'd have a chance not only to mentor, but to be a guy who helps take the pressure off of the freshman newbie, and allow him to blossom at his own pace. Shoot, if you were a good receiver, why wouldn't you want that type of talent on the other side of the field?

I say that entirely aside from how much I like Bundrage, Daley, Harris, West and Ecby.

I'll also point out that most, if not all, of the other elements appear to be there, from an improving offensive line, to young quarterbacks who can throw the ball. Not to get aside of myself, but I'll dare to say that if Grant Rohach or Jared Barnett beats out Same Richardson, it's only because they are better than he has shown he can be. And given what we've seen of him, I think that's quite reasonably good. And given the way SR tends to put the ball right on target, what receiver wouldn't want to catch passes from him?

One neat thing is (should they both end up Cyclones), is that the two--and tight end commit Alex Leslie--have the same initials. Now, I don't know what Andre or Allen's middle names are, but it sure would be great to see them both be A.L. IN!

So, if Campos and Lazard committed every other day, it must be Andre's turn tonight. Andre Lewis, come on and join the Coach Paul Rhoads party! Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Re: Andre Lewis AND Allen Lazard

Has Lewis made it official yet? I'd heard there's a good chance, but hadn't heard much for a couple of days.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Re: Andre Lewis AND Allen Lazard

Has Lewis made it official yet? I'd heard there's a good chance, but hadn't heard much for a couple of days.
Nope. But I'm hoping he might peek on here, and be encouraged to. :wink:

Edit: I changed the thread title to make that more clear.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I guess I really don't see how one other recruit at his position would give him pause. It isn't like he already sees incredible depth of world beaters at the position and this is WR not QB. Teams play at least two on virtually every down and sometimes as many as five. There are two solid starting positions at WR and on ISU's roster that number is 3. I just don't see it. The commitment of Lazard does not automatically put the next guy in on the bench. As a wideout you definitely want another quality receiver on the other side so you aren't getting disproportionate double coverage or even always facing the other team's best coverage corner. You'll see more opportunities to make a play if they can't just focus on you.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not saying they're the same talent level, or even similar style receivers, but it's not like Cris Carter's late career with the Vikings took a hit lining up across from Randy Moss. Even if he was really worried that Lazard was going to come in and overshadow him as the big threat receiver as freshman, having two legitimate threats at WR would just open things up for each other to make plays. To me, it almost seems like a BETTER situation than being the one guy on the team that the coverage keys in on every time.

Last edited:

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They'll only over lap 1 year, shouldn't be a big deal imo. Plus we usually have at least 4 wr On the field most every play. Hope we have room for him. My question is do wr drop a lower caliber wr already committed if we have to?

Last edited:

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
cart before horse.

there is no guarantee he will even play as a true freshman. a lot can happen between now and 2014.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I guess I really don't see how one other recruit at his position would give him pause. It isn't like he already sees incredible depth of world beaters at the position and this is WR not QB. Teams play at least two on virtually every down and sometimes as many as five. There are two solid starting positions at WR and on ISU's roster that number is 3. I just don't see it. The commitment of Lazard does not automatically put the next guy in on the bench. As a wideout you definitely want another quality receiver on the other side so you aren't getting disproportionate double coverage or even always facing the other team's best coverage corner. You'll see more opportunities to make a play if they can't just focus on you.
I have to admit that what threw me was the way that the interest level on Lewis's Rivals profile went from "High" that afternoon, in the wake of his visit, to "Low" an hour or two after Lazard's commitment. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, and maybe it was just someone at Rivals fiddling around.

After all, I chide other people for paying to much attention to details on recruiting sites, don't I? :rolleyes:

Still, the fact of the matter is, the two of them would both look GREAT in Cyclone uniforms.

Speaking of which--didn't the Twitter pic Lewis sent out have him in jersey #15? Is that his preferred number? Interesting, since Lazard wears #5 in HS. Both 6'4" and fast, both with great hands and moves, both with similar numbers. What's not to like? :biggrin:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
There's no way that the Lazard commit is a negative under any conceivable scenario with Lewis.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
What or who has already committed may have an effect on future commitments, but a team in any sport can never have too much talent. It's just that the talent in question needs to work together.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Lewis is showing 'low' interest in ISU on rivals. I personally have no clue if that is accurate at all or not.

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'd LOVE to see Andre Lewis in a Cyclone uniform catching passes any way you look at it!

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nothing against any of the young WR on the team but until we have known commodities, I'm all for CPR attempting to keep bringing in guys he thinks can play. I think there's a lot of potential with the WR group on campus right now but none of those guys has more than 1 or 2 solid games of production, so for now, its just potential. I think the WR position battles over the next few years are going to be great to watch.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I could see where it might have an impact on his decision, but only slightly. He could also see it as benefit because two 6'4" quality WR's would be a nightmare to gameplan against, he would get more single coverage opportunities.

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
I'll be pretty surprised if he backs out of his verbal to Utah just because he visited. No shame in wishing though.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'll be pretty surprised if he backs out of his verbal to Utah just because he visited. No shame in wishing though.
How about "just because he visited AND had a great time here"? :wink:

His commitment, I think, would go a long way towards helping make our offense much more explosive next season.