Recruiting: Rodney Coe commits

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Per a source, IWCC DE Rodney Coe has committed to Iowa State. He visited Ames this weekend.

Always good to get guys the coaches want. He could be a difference maker for us.
Thoughts on what this means for the other DE prospects?

Coe played in the US Army All American game as a linebacker.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
He obviously has the atheletic ability. Lets hope the staff keeps him focused and he becomes a big factor in the coming years.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
He will be the football team's Royce White IMO.

He can be whatever he wants to be and puts his mind to, just like Royce did. Or he can live up to his reputation and be a distraction off the field and never amount to what he should. It will be his choice to come here, keep his nose clean, listen to the coaches, work his butt off, and contribute positively to the team, OR... go the other direction and never play a snap as an Iowa State Cyclone.

The opportunity has been given to him by Rhoads. It will be Rodney's choice as to how to take advantage of this opportunity.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I'm sure its been discussed somewhere but I never saw it...he will have 2 to play 2? Will he be here at semester?

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
He will be the football team's Royce White IMO.

He can be whatever he wants to be and puts his mind to, just like Royce did. Or he can live up to his reputation and be a distraction off the field and never amount to what he should. It will be his choice to come here, keep his nose clean, listen to the coaches, work his butt off, and contribute positively to the team, OR... go the other direction and never play a snap as an Iowa State Cyclone.

The opportunity has been given to him by Rhoads. It will be Rodney's choice as to how to take advantage of this opportunity.

My thoughts exactly!

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I hope it's 3 to play 2. Have him redshirt and get another year of experience under his belt considering he is faily new to DL. Then have him come out in 2014 in kill mode.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Not a chance of red-shirting Irving by now. He's gotta be ready to lead that DL next year.
Is it just me or does Irving look like he lacks some hustle and intensity at times?

I've noticed that his first step off the ball is extremely slow. Hopefully he works on his explosiveness this offseason.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've noticed that his first step off the ball is extremely slow. Hopefully he works on his explosiveness this offseason.

Yes, I've noticed that too. Irving's first couple steps are VERY slow. His feet just aren't very quick.

As to the Coe commitment.... does this help us keep Wimberly committed as well? I sure hope so!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What are the chances Coe never sets foot on campus due to academics? I'm guessing he still has work to do there to make it.

Good luck and hope to see you in cardinal and gold Rodney.

TheBentStick

Aug 15, 2012
This is great news. A gifted athlete with loads of raw talent. When he lives up to his potential, he'll be an absolute beast and a dominant Cyclone.