Ferentz

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
First, I'm NOT trying to troll the Hawk fans. This is a serious question.

How long does Kirk stay at Iowa? If Iowa has a bad season this year and doesn't improve siginificantly over the next few years, does he get "retired"? Losing to ISU does not help him at all either if that continues.

Iowa fans have been spoiled a bit. KF had some rough rebuilding seasons but since have feasted on the Big10 and Iowa fans now expect 8+ wins a year.

How long until they want a new face there, or is KF coach until he decides to leave?

By the way, I understand that this may just be a "down year" for the Hawks and they might jump right back up in a year or two. This is just assuming that 7-5 max seasons turn into a trend.

cy1010

Dec 16, 2009
He'll be there for as long as he wants to be. There would have to be a dramatic downward trend for him to be forced out or fired. And I don't see that happening in the Big10.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
He will be fine, Iowa will make another good bowl this year. Big10 is HORRIBLE.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why would he leave? He's got a nice contract, through 2020. He makes a great salary now, and if they ever do fire him i'm sure he's got a nice payday coming. Its not like fired coaches have a hard time getting back in the game somewhere else after if they so choose, so he'll always have that option while he counts his cash from the buyout (if it ever happens, which i think is premature.... the big 10 offers a lot of opportunities to have a good record without a great team)

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Plus the fact they are very young will help out in the future. I'm not sure about the OC position though... I mean I understand that ferentz is a committed guy but that offense is terrible.

LegendofRodA

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2011
Des Moines
If Barta fires Kirk, he will follow him right out the door...not that your question isn't reasonable, but no one has a safer job than KF in college football.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He'll be there for as long as he wants to be. There would have to be a dramatic downward trend for him to be forced out or fired. And I don't see that happening in the Big10.

Yeah, they'd probably have to blow up and go 2-10 to even get heat on him. With Indiana and 3 cupcake non-con games he will probably stay safe.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Maybe the question is, how long will Greg Davis stick around?

Maybe he will "retire" after next year.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I hope he stays. He is only 6-8 against ISU, and has lost to ISU as much as he has lost to any other school.

After 2 games into his 4th season, Ferentz was only 13-24 at Iowa. (Of course his next game in that 4th year was a loss to ISU, which everyone knows ruined the Hawkeyes national championship bid that year. Just ask them.) CPR is now 20-20 at the same point at ISU.

I hope Kirk stays. He is good for ISU.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I hope he stays. He is only 6-8 against ISU, and has lost to ISU as much as he has lost to any other school.

After 2 games into his 4th season, Ferentz was only 13-24 at Iowa. (Of course his next game in that 4th year was a loss to ISU, which everyone knows ruined the Hawkeyes national championship bid that year. Just ask them.) CPR is now 20-20 at the same point at ISU.

I hope Kirk stays. He is good for ISU.

I hear ya. Hopefully CPR has KF figured out like he does Tubberville and he can own him consistently.

I am just interested because overall KF has been good for Iowa. If they ever did let him go it would be interesting to see them swing and miss on his replacement.

Sci4Cy

Sep 2, 2012
I agree the Big 10 is awful so Iowa will still probably have a decent record and go to a bowl game so we will have to see Kirk's "smiling" face for many more years.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Maybe the question is, how long will Greg Davis stick around?

Maybe he will "retire" after next year.

This is much more likely. The youth on this team is what's keeping KF from being on any hot seat. Hawk fans knew the team was going to be young and inexperienced so most of us have adjusted our expectations accordingly. Now if two years from now when these underclassman become upperclassmen (except at RB, they don't last that long) Iowa comes up looking that pathetic he'll be in trouble.

As for Davis, I think he'll get a pass this year, and this year only. Vandenberg isn't close to accurate enough to run the offense he wants and the receivers struggle catching the ball....which is a problem if your job is to catch the ball.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This is much more likely. The youth on this team is what's keeping KF from being on any hot seat. Hawk fans knew the team was going to be young and inexperienced so most of us have adjusted our expectations accordingly. Now if two years from now when these underclassman become upperclassmen (except at RB, they don't last that long) Iowa comes up looking that pathetic he'll be in trouble.

As for Davis, I think he'll get a pass this year, and this year only. Vandenberg isn't close to accurate enough to run the offense he wants and the receivers struggle catching the ball....which is a problem if your job is to catch the ball.

Thanks for the honest reply. I think it would take multiple underachieving years for KF to get any of the flack. Davis will get it way before that.

I think the youth is deffinitely a real issue and not an excuse. That makes sense. We will see how they younger players mature and if there are any more defections by star recruits. Iowa still recruits very well. We will just have to see how they are developed under new coaches and if they pan out.