Mason Fights Back: Response to the Atlantic Article

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Ww all gave our two cents to the article that talked about an opinion writer's 20-Year experience in Iowa. Most of us trashed and bashed it as a misrepresentation of Iowa and its people. U of I President, Sally Mason, had some words of her own in response to the column.

UI President Mason issues open letter about The Atlantic article

This goes beyond being a Cyclone or a Hawkeye. I'm glad an Iowegian stood up to this!

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Outstanding response. Had some of those counterpoints been mixed into the original article, perhaps it could have been viewed more as an article of brutal self-examination, rather than a condescending stream of unfounded stereotypes.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I was glad to see she stepped up. I hope Bloom read that and is a bit uneasy about his status as a professor at the U of I. D-bag.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I gained a lot of respect for Mason after reading that.

I like Mason's response but the person I want to see a response from is Mary Sue Coleman.

Mason succeeded Coleman as U of I president and Coleman is currently President at Bloom's temporary home, the University of Michigan. It sure would be nice to hear Mary Sue stick up for Iowa.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Which brings up the point again of why tenure is a stupid thing.

Wouldn't all of us love to never be able to lose our job no matter how lazy or big of an idiot we are.

It's a double edged sword. Unfortunately the other side of the coin is tenure often protects very productive and prestigious faculty from lobbying by interest groups their research may not favor.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
It's a double edged sword. Unfortunately the other side of the coin is tenure often protects very productive and prestigious faculty from lobbying by interest groups their research may not favor.

Ha ha ha! That's a good one. A real knee-slapper. You just forgot the :jimlad:!

C

CyBer

The end of the article needs to say "and that is why we fired the d-bag".

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Ha ha ha! That's a good one. A real knee-slapper. You just forgot the :jimlad:!

Agreed.

Some of ISU's ag professors that I have dealt with on research projects etc. you could have sworn were already working full time for some of the chem companies. I won't name any on here but anyone who has been to the ICM conference or FEEL days, or have worked directly on projects know exactly who I am talking about.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The end of the article needs to say "and that is why we fired the d-bag".

Tenure. That response did seem to have the tone of someone who wishes she COULD fire the d-bag, though.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Tenure. That response did seem to have the tone of someone who wishes she COULD fire the d-bag, though.

Tork, you should do some digging and find out what Mary Sue Coleman's take is.