Will CPR try to run over the Panthers or pass on them?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
So, what does everyone think the Clones will try to establish on UNI? The running game to take any pressure off Steele, or do you think they will go after UNI through the air knowing that the Panthers will stack the box to stop the run? If I coached UNI, I would have press coverage and bring everyone up and make Steele do something through the air.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
You are actually answering your question.

CPR and Herman will look to run first, no question. It's the biggest strength on Offense, and it won't display too many complicated runs in a scouting report. But, Farley and UNI will stack the box to stop the run. The question really is, will that be successful? If it is, Steele will have to loosen up, but they will do it through bubble screens and short passes and look for something down field for later in the game. This team is not going to be flying through the air in the first half. There is not enough scouting information to say that would be successful.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
We'll always lean towards running the ball if we can. If not we go to the air and mix in the run. People get confused with what running a spread offense means. We run a spread to open up running lanes inside. We'll always look to run first.

I think we'll see a lot of Shontrelle on Saturday.

Reactions: CyBobby

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You are actually answering your question.

CPR and Herman will look to run first, no question. It's the biggest strength on Offense, and it won't display too many complicated runs in a scouting report. But, Farley and UNI will stack the box to stop the run. The question really is, will that be successful? If it is, Steele will have to loosen up, but they will do it through bubble screens and short passes and look for something down field for later in the game. This team is not going to be flying through the air in the first half. There is not enough scouting information to say that would be successful.

I agree. If I were gameplanning against ISU, I would stack everyone near the line of scrimmage. Plug up the run game and have enough people around to stop the bubble screens. Then blitz on passing downs. What that doesn't account for is Steele Jantz making plays with his legs and the fact that he throws about as pretty a deep ball as you'll ever see. I fully expect ISU will go deep to beat UNI and for Jantz to pick up a couple of huge chunks of yardage with his feet.

I do think that if they stack the box, at some point Herman is just going to line up Woody and slam into them for a couple of series and then mix it up with a faster back.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I think we will try and run and will be successful. First drive is 80 yds for a touchdown, 7 running plays, 2 passes.

O-line is actually our strength on offense, and we will use it early.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think ed run as much as we can and pass only as much as we have to. Regardless, I think Herman shows as little of the playbook as he can get away with on Saturday.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
We will use the run to open up the pass game. Then it will kind of go with the flow of the game. I don't think they will stack the box right away based off of Steele's highlight video. Yes I know that is a community college, but I still think they may be a little worried about his ability to pass. If I had to guess I would also say 60/40 running!

Naughtius

Oct 27, 2010
Central IA
My guess is that they'll try to run almost exclusively until the game is out of reach. Let Steele find his rhythm. Then, when the outcome is decided they'll mix in some passes.
Every coach says they're taking it 1 opponent at a time, but I'm guessing that they'll try to keep it conservative and not show too much Saturday. Just enough for the O to get in synch.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
One if by land, two if by air. It is nice weather, time to get some passing practice in to get Steele some reps. 35-0.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
ISU runs a pass offense and we haven't seen much yet. They will come out passing.
Yeah...no. We run a spread, that means spreading out the other teams, and trying to get your playmakers one on one weather that be by passing or running.

Our best playmaker is Shontrelle, we'll try to run it with him.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I think the ISU gameplan will be easy....

They will target short out routes and slants as Jantz has a strong arm and UNI's defense will be in a position to stop the run. I don't think UNI has the athletes to do press coverage so the intent will be to work the edges, stay away from the middle, and open up the running game. With UNI's strength being 7 seniors in the front 7, the thought of us totally dominating the running game is far fetched.

Lets not forget a couple of huge facts from last years game...

ISU was outgained by UNI by over 100 yards!!! If it wasnt for TWO pick sixes including one at the 7 yard line, and the to fumbles on our side of the 50 including one other inside the redzone, that game could have went either way....Both teams got better since that game so thats even.

The only thing i'm saying is that if we think were going to go in there and bulldoze this team rushing were not!!!!

I think the number 1 criticism of this Herman Offense is i understand the ball control offense - i really do....but guess what...so does every offensive coordinator....there's a reason why Arnaud had 5 interceptions in 2 consecutive games at qb against Iowa..They had safeties and this offense puts our qb in a bad position of not being ready for the defense. Meaning, when the side camera angle can see the safetys in the picture, and your not attempting to go over the top, you've failed as an offensive coordinator.

For this season to be successful and for this squad to be successful, it 100% comes down to Jantz being successful and accurate and putting the ball down the field!!! If we rely on the 5-10 yard passes all season again, i will tell you defenses will figure it out and we will not be successful....We need to bring the longer routes into the equation to open up these defenses.

I hope we air it out and come back to the run!!!!!

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Jantz has been practicing passing for years now. The only "practice" that will be going on is the new guys getting used to playing in front of a sold out stadium. Jantz has a 50-60 yard bomb highlighting a solid game in the air, while Shontrelle breaks a couple huge TD runs and everybody gets their reps.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
SJ all day baby!

Which one??:smile: Steele or 'Trelle?
I think the ISU gameplan will be easy....

They will target short out routes and slants as Jantz has a strong arm and UNI's defense will be in a position to stop the run. I don't think UNI has the athletes to do press coverage so the intent will be to work the edges, stay away from the middle, and open up the running game. With UNI's strength being 7 seniors in the front 7, the thought of us totally dominating the running game is far fetched.

Lets not forget a couple of huge facts from last years game...

ISU was outgained by UNI by over 100 yards!!! If it wasnt for TWO pick sixes including one at the 7 yard line, and the to fumbles on our side of the 50 including one other inside the redzone, that game could have went either way....Both teams got better since that game so thats even.

The only thing i'm saying is that if we think were going to go in there and bulldoze this team rushing were not!!!!

I think the number 1 criticism of this Herman Offense is i understand the ball control offense - i really do....but guess what...so does every offensive coordinator....there's a reason why Arnaud had 5 interceptions in 2 consecutive games at qb against Iowa..They had safeties and this offense puts our qb in a bad position of not being ready for the defense. Meaning, when the side camera angle can see the safetys in the picture, and your not attempting to go over the top, you've failed as an offensive coordinator.

For this season to be successful and for this squad to be successful, it 100% comes down to Jantz being successful and accurate and putting the ball down the field!!! If we rely on the 5-10 yard passes all season again, i will tell you defenses will figure it out and we will not be successful....We need to bring the longer routes into the equation to open up these defenses.

I hope we air it out and come back to the run!!!!!

I like this approach, if we have an advantage over their secondary with supposed improved playmakers on the edge why not get the ball in their hands with short routes to open up the run, then let KO make some room on the edge for 'Trelle to crack a long one:yes:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Yeah...no. We run a spread, that means spreading out the other teams, and trying to get your playmakers one on one weather that be by passing or running.

Our best playmaker is Shontrelle, we'll try to run it with him.

Using last years players they were run first. As Herman and CPR get their players into the system you will start to see an increase of pass frequency. The size of the linemen are a good indicator. There has been a shift in bigger players as opposed to quicker players. This is pass vs run. I'm not saying there won't be running because that is absurd, but I do believe you will see a noticeable increase in passing.