Will CPR try to run over the Panthers or pass on them?

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
My one play prediction...

I think you will see Money come on a reverse and throw a deep ball to horne. To me, the use or showing a play such as this is intentional early in the season to bait off of it.....

If i had one play i would love to see used...

Bubble screen setup but the guy that goes out to begin the blocking process fakes the block and then sprints. Easy safety Read for the qb, you fake it to the wr bubble and then if the safety has bit, you go over the top. If he has not bit look for a rb on the opposite side of the field leaking out or a te.....Use it if you want Herman...the main reason for this alignment, cb and safeties are tought this alignment and charge it aggressively to blow up the wr for a loss and getting on espn. However, thats the name of the game, use the aggressiveness against them....

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I think that they will probably keep the playbook close to thier vests and run the ball against the stack. If they can't do it this week, they probably won't be able to do it all season. Having said that, SJ needs some experience, so who knows?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I am guessing that they come out in the wishbone, just to throw everyone off. Woodie as full back and Johnson and White as the backs.

Reactions: skibumspe

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lets not forget a couple of huge facts from last years game...

ISU was outgained by UNI by over 100 yards!!! If it wasnt for TWO pick sixes including one at the 7 yard line, and the to fumbles on our side of the 50 including one other inside the redzone, that game could have went either way....Both teams got better since that game so thats even.

I didn't see any of last years game or hear it either. I just saw the score and the stats. Tiller was horrible in that game, which probably prompted UNI to bring everyone into the box.

For this season to be successful and for this squad to be successful, it 100% comes down to Jantz being successful and accurate and putting the ball down the field!!! If we rely on the 5-10 yard passes all season again, i will tell you defenses will figure it out and we will not be successful....We need to bring the longer routes into the equation to open up these defenses.

I hope we air it out and come back to the run!!!!![/QUOTE]

I would love to see a couple plays were the receiver gets behind the defense and the QB gets a good pass to him. Have seen very little of this in the last 5 years.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
My one play prediction...

I think you will see Money come on a reverse and throw a deep ball to horne. To me, the use or showing a play such as this is intentional early in the season to bait off of it.....

If i had one play i would love to see used...

Bubble screen setup but the guy that goes out to begin the blocking process fakes the block and then sprints. Easy safety Read for the qb, you fake it to the wr bubble and then if the safety has bit, you go over the top. If he has not bit look for a rb on the opposite side of the field leaking out or a te.....Use it if you want Herman...the main reason for this alignment, cb and safeties are tought this alignment and charge it aggressively to blow up the wr for a loss and getting on espn. However, thats the name of the game, use the aggressiveness against them....

Actually, anything that creates a pump fake from Jantz, and a double move from the WR would be wonderful to see. IF the Oline can create any time for the qb that is. Play Action, spread it around. Do not become predictable, again.

Fake 32 dive, naked bootleg, Money down the sideline. Write it down.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
We will run the ball for the most part. I think Woody will get 10-15 carries, ShonJohn will tack on 15-20, Duck and White will each get a couple. We will be very bland in the passing game. The only time I see us taking risks is on a 2nd and 2. That way you can take a shot downfield without any real possiblility of it totally backfiring. If UNI is stacking the box on first and 10, they will certainly do the same on 2nd and short. That will be the time that we see the offense get creative and go for the long ball or reverse. If Jantz throws 25+ times on Saturday, I think it means we are playing catch-up. If Woody and Johnson combine for 30+ we will be in good shape. I'm hoping we don't have to pass much at all, but would love to see some productivity when we are asked to pass.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
We will run the ball for the most part. I think Woody will get 10-15 carries, ShonJohn will tack on 15-20, Duck and White will each get a couple. We will be very bland in the passing game. The only time I see us taking risks is on a 2nd and 2. That way you can take a shot downfield without any real possiblility of it totally backfiring. If UNI is stacking the box on first and 10, they will certainly do the same on 2nd and short. That will be the time that we see the offense get creative and go for the long ball or reverse. If Jantz throws 25+ times on Saturday, I think it means we are playing catch-up. If Woody and Johnson combine for 30+ we will be in good shape. I'm hoping we don't have to pass much at all, but would love to see some productivity when we are asked to pass.

Justredman....i hope with 100% your comments are wrong...if we run 30+ times like we did last year and have a whopping 131 yards like last year for a 3.3 yard average and end up with 93 yards passing - mark this down we will lose this game!!!!!

I really like our defense, but, had they not turned over the panthers 3 times twice in the red zone, that 27-0 score could have easily been a 17-13 final for UNI....they missed a fg and 2 redzone turnovers including a pick six from our 7 yard line.

Everyone wants to point at this or that, this UNI defense has 7 seniors in the front 7, i dont care who you are or what level, thats a lot of experience.....

We need to come out and spread them out and pass the ball 25 plus times. If you get the lead and have them guessing pass or run is when your gonna be hitting the bigger plays and wear them out. If UNI gets down, they will have to attack and either way running or passing, when a defense is aggressive is when the offense can get big gains.

I just do not see this game being a pushover and we simply over muscle these guys....if so, why didnt we do it last year? Why didnt iowa do it two years ago...for one good reason, they're a dang good football team. And its the same reason we won't this year....

And for anyone to think were gonna game plan bland - thats crazy talk....this is 1 of 8-9 winnable games on our schedule. This will be game planned to win the game at all costs.....a bowl could hinge on this win believe it or not so it will be game planned accordingly!!!

Hope im wrong and we run for 250 yards and we cyclones fans can enjoy a 35-0 whoppin - but, that devil on my shoulder is saying no way!!!!

Last edited:

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny

I would love to see us take some shots on 2nd and short, especially on our end of the field. Its been a while.

The concept of not passing much because we dont want to show our hand, is the same concept that doesn't allow the qb/wr develope any game time experience. See past years. We don't have to throw it 50 times, but lets get some reps in too.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Depends how much they respect Jantz. Last year they sold out Tiller because they knew he couldn't beat them with his arm. We will try to run it down their throats because that's what we're built to do.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
If Iowa State can't run on UNI, it is totally ****ed. So I will go with "run over."

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I think we lean on Shontrelle and Woody to get us going and ease Steele into it. We'll do lots of runs and short, high percentage passes. I don't think we'll shoot it downfield until we have a nice lead going.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think the ISU gameplan will be easy....

They will target short out routes and slants as Jantz has a strong arm and UNI's defense will be in a position to stop the run. I don't think UNI has the athletes to do press coverage so the intent will be to work the edges, stay away from the middle, and open up the running game. With UNI's strength being 7 seniors in the front 7, the thought of us totally dominating the running game is far fetched.

Lets not forget a couple of huge facts from last years game...

ISU was outgained by UNI by over 100 yards!!! If it wasnt for TWO pick sixes including one at the 7 yard line, and the to fumbles on our side of the 50 including one other inside the redzone, that game could have went either way....Both teams got better since that game so thats even.

The only thing i'm saying is that if we think were going to go in there and bulldoze this team rushing were not!!!!

I think the number 1 criticism of this Herman Offense is i understand the ball control offense - i really do....but guess what...so does every offensive coordinator....there's a reason why Arnaud had 5 interceptions in 2 consecutive games at qb against Iowa..They had safeties and this offense puts our qb in a bad position of not being ready for the defense. Meaning, when the side camera angle can see the safetys in the picture, and your not attempting to go over the top, you've failed as an offensive coordinator.

For this season to be successful and for this squad to be successful, it 100% comes down to Jantz being successful and accurate and putting the ball down the field!!! If we rely on the 5-10 yard passes all season again, i will tell you defenses will figure it out and we will not be successful....We need to bring the longer routes into the equation to open up these defenses.

I hope we air it out and come back to the run!!!!!
Very well said.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
Justredman....i hope with 100% your comments are wrong...if we run 30+ times like we did last year and have a whopping 131 yards like last year for a 3.3 yard average and end up with 93 yards passing - mark this down we will lose this game!!!!!

I really like our defense, but, had they not turned over the panthers 3 times twice in the red zone, that 27-0 score could have easily been a 17-13 final for UNI....they missed a fg and 2 redzone turnovers including a pick six from our 7 yard line.

Everyone wants to point at this or that, this UNI defense has 7 seniors in the front 7, i dont care who you are or what level, thats a lot of experience.....

We need to come out and spread them out and pass the ball 25 plus times. If you get the lead and have them guessing pass or run is when your gonna be hitting the bigger plays and wear them out. If UNI gets down, they will have to attack and either way running or passing, when a defense is aggressive is when the offense can get big gains.

I just do not see this game being a pushover and we simply over muscle these guys....if so, why didnt we do it last year? Why didnt iowa do it two years ago...for one good reason, they're a dang good football team. And its the same reason we won't this year....

And for anyone to think were gonna game plan bland - thats crazy talk....this is 1 of 8-9 winnable games on our schedule. This will be game planned to win the game at all costs.....

You are correct. If we run a bunch and have no success then we will lose. Especially with 93 yards through the air. I hope we run 35+ times and rack up 250+ yards on the ground. At that rate, even 150 yards through the air would be enough to win by 10. There are a ton of "ifs" in your comment, and none of them are in the least bit optimistic. I wasn't asking for a repeat of last year's game.

I wouldn't say it's crazy talk. It's a new QB who was named starter 10 days ago. We have a big OLine and we have a ton of RBs. We were pathetic in the passing game last year. We have big TEs that should all be good blockers. All signs point to playing and winning conservativly. Do I think we open it up if we are up 14+ in the second half, sure. Do I think we open it up if we are down 14+ in the seconde half, sure.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Using last years players they were run first. As Herman and CPR get their players into the system you will start to see an increase of pass frequency. The size of the linemen are a good indicator. There has been a shift in bigger players as opposed to quicker players. This is pass vs run. I'm not saying there won't be running because that is absurd, but I do believe you will see a noticeable increase in passing.
I don't know why people think Herman has this pass happy spread offense. It isn't a Texas Tech/Mizzou type of spread offense. In his two years at Rice he passed 58% of the time in year one and 54% of the time in year two. Neither year did he have a quallity running back.

Herman's offense is a spread that takes advantages of mismatches and strengths. It doesn't matter if it is running the ball or passing or what. If we are effective both ways, then he will do both. IMO- Herman will never throw the ball more than 58% of the time. I think his ultimate goal is to get a 45% run and 55% pass type of game going. This year, I see more of a 50/50 ratio.

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
I would love to see us take some shots on 2nd and short, especially on our end of the field. Its been a while.

The concept of not passing much because we dont want to show our hand, is the same concept that doesn't allow the qb/wr develope any game time experience. See past years. We don't have to throw it 50 times, but lets get some reps in too.

I dont' want us to pass much, not because I don't want to show our hand or get Jantz game experience, but rather because we are moving the ball effectively on the ground. Why the rush to put the weight on Jantz shoulders? I said I didn't want Jantz throwing it 25+ times, but that doesn't mean that he won't get into a rhythm. He will get carries. He will get chances to stretch the D. He just doesn't need to be "the guy" in his first start.
Also, not passing a ton is not why our QB/WR didn't have chemistry and rhythm. Our QB/WRs didn't have chemistry and rhythm, that's why we didn't throw much. If Jantz is as good as we all think he could be, then our WR/QB relationship will without a doubt be better. Throwing it 35 times in game 1 will not be the reason for this season's success, IMO.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
You are correct. If we run a bunch and have no success then we will lose. Especially with 93 yards through the air. I hope we run 35+ times and rack up 250+ yards on the ground. At that rate, even 150 yards through the air would be enough to win by 10. There are a ton of "ifs" in your comment, and none of them are in the least bit optimistic. I wasn't asking for a repeat of last year's game.

I wouldn't say it's crazy talk. It's a new QB who was named starter 10 days ago. We have a big OLine and we have a ton of RBs. We were pathetic in the passing game last year. We have big TEs that should all be good blockers. All signs point to playing and winning conservativly. Do I think we open it up if we are up 14+ in the second half, sure. Do I think we open it up if we are down 14+ in the seconde half, sure.

I hear ya Redman - trust me - i would luv to be mr optimistic...this is not tennessee tech....this is a formidable opponent....

I love to revisit stats....because in this case the main changes have occurred on our side of the ball which is optimistic when you only have 93 yards passing in a spread offense. However - to commend our opponent, they ranked 10th nationally against the run in the fcs. Against us, they were slightly over their average per rush at 3.3 yards when their average for the season was 3.09 yards per carry. Thats a telling stat that they are well coached and have players to get the job done. Now they have lost none of those kids in the front 7 only backups. Furthermore, a much more balanced team they faced in 2009 in iowa city and ranked 22 nationally only mustered 87 yards rushing against this team. UNI has built their defense around stopping the run at all cost including getting burnt through the air. For us to be successful, I THINK, we need to use the passing game to get them out of their strength and then roadgrade them!!!!!

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
hopefully we have more speed this year.

speed wise:
jantz>arnaud
trelle>Arob
'11 recievers> '10 receivers... (only lost williams and franklin who weren't burners)

that will help our YPC i would have to imagine. its also tough to not make mistakes when you constantly have to grind out 10 play drives.