Chromebooks have arrived

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
They need to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Theyre too expensive to be a netbook (which is what theyre really competing with) and not full featured enough to be a full-use laptop, which at their price they should be.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think for a device that I'm just surfing the web on I would prefer a tablet. Main drawback of a tablet compared to a netbook for me would be the lack of a keyboard but for web surfing it wouldn't really matter.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
They need to be a couple hundred bucks cheaper. Theyre too expensive to be a netbook (which is what theyre really competing with) and not full featured enough to be a full-use laptop, which at their price they should be.

Agreed, I think $199 would be a very successful price point for these.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011

I was looking at the Samsung ones and they go for 500$. Crazy.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I'm going to wait for more models to come out before I consider getting one. If the Samsung was the same price as the Acer and had a HDMI port I would probably get it.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I'm going to wait for more models to come out before I consider getting one. If the Samsung was the same price as the Acer and had a HDMI port I would probably get it.

I'm with you on this one. What I read so far, they say there wont be a HDMI port?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I see the entry level is at $249. Would this be a good first "PC" for a 5th grader? Research... writing reports
... email... web chat with her mom... and some games? I'm wanting child net safety stuff too... is that available On these units as i havent seen info on that topic or should I use my Cisco router parental controls?

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I see the entry level is at $249. Would this be a good first "PC" for a 5th grader? Research... writing reports
... email... web chat with her mom... and some games? I'm wanting child net safety stuff too... is that available On these units as i havent seen info on that topic or should I use my Cisco router parental controls?

It may work well for that but realize you can't much stuff. But when you sign in with a gmail account anywhere you will have access to all your files.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I think my Toshiba laptop will continue to be my almost constant companion. We have become very good friends since I dumped the Vista and installed Ubuntu.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I want to like these things but after owning a netbook, I just can't pull the trigger.

I have a netbook, a laptop(just installed an SSD drive), an Ipad, and a PC(homebuilt).

The usage is something like this

Netbook 0%
Laptop 10%
Ipad 40%
PC 50%

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron