detlef schrempf involved

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Great interview with McDermott on KXNO this morning. He talked some about the Staiger situation. Mentioned that Detlef Schrempf had contacted him and was up in arms and wanted to know what he could do to help. I doubt there's much he can do, other than offer moral support, but that's cool that he wants to help.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Sweet, I'm a Sonics fan if I have to pick an NBA team so it's cool to see one of my old school guys backing Staiger.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Didn't Schrempf coach Lucca somewhere, or come out in the press saying he was the real deal? I seem to recall this being the starting point for my salivation over Staiger.

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Didn't Schrempf coach Lucca somewhere, or come out in the press saying he was the real deal? I seem to recall this being the starting point for my salivation over Staiger.
If you google "detlef schrempf lucca staiger", there are bunch of articles in German, but I can't read German. I seem to remember reading something somewhere about Schrempf having good things to say about Staiger. Not very helpful, I know...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Doesnt babelfish or google translate pages?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Good thought... I tried the google translation, but unfortunately it is basically incomprehensible.

Heh, heh...I tried to translate some German technical papers awhile back using Babel Fish. For the most part, it seemed like I was using something called Babble Fish instead. Fortunately I knew enough German to extract what I needed.

Maybe Roger Sprague programs for Babel Fish...

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Heh, heh...I tried to translate some German technical papers awhile back using Babel Fish. For the most part, it seemed like I was using something called Babble Fish instead. Fortunately I knew enough German to extract what I needed.

Maybe Roger Sprague programs for Babel Fish...
If we got a decent PR program going he could give us money... :unsure:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I always played with Detlef and Kemp in NBA Jam.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
My concern is that the more pressure the NCAA people get on this, the more they will stick to their decision just to show they can't be influenced by fans. Love Detlef, was a Sonics fan for 18 years when I lived in Tacoma, but doubt that he can do anything.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The NCAA is a bigoted, kid busting, sour mouth, two-sided, wanderlusting, smashmouth, piece of road kill. There. I feel better already. Right now they are letting Omaha have four more months to build a $115M ballpark they do not need in order to keep the College World Series. Tell those NCAA Mental Midgets to take a dive, do not stop at go before going to jail, clear out their lockers tonight, sit their fannies on a pot and agitate, get out of the storm brewing business, and quit acting like a piece of junk. There. I feel better again. You go, Lucca.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I also think that the NCAA doesnt want to look bad to the public. So if enough people stand by it and its justifiable, the NCAA crew will have to give it open thought and have a concrete reason to stick by their initial decision.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What about the cost of living adjustment? Maybe $5000k in Germany is a reasonable 'stipend'... Did they take that into consideration?

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
For this to be resolved in our favor ISU needs to have a plan that enables the NCAA to change their decision all while making the NCAA look good for making the initial decision and the following correction. We cannot try to force the NCAA or make them look bad. I think bad press against the NCAA from media and other outlets is okay, maybe really good as it set's up the need for the NCAA to spin this into a positive. And that's where if ISU plays their cards right, can play the role as the affected school and player giving the NCAA a big thumbs up and all is okay if they reduce the suspension. As a school we need to make sure all actions support saving face for the NCAA.

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
If the NCAA does right here I think the ISU fanbase will give cudos to them for their decision. If not, it could get ugly, because Lucca is clearly innocent of any wrong doing.