What If ISU had in indoor football stadium?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I wonder if any program has ever looked into the viability of a partial type covering, like they used in the design of DIA? Only more functional.

ftf-200609-DIA.jpg

I don't know about covering the whole thing, but maybe the whole north end. It looks all cattywompus already anyway........and before some of you knot up you underoos, I'm not really mostly serious with this question. I mean come, who are we kidding, it's a tent.

It's been done before:

Montreal-Olympic-Stadium.jpg

It was/is an epic fail.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would prefer a giant golf umbrella. Or maybe just a giant tarp lean too. I be we could get a heck of a deal on a giant tarp at Theisen's.

I heard many years ago that the original design of Hilton was pretty much like this. I heard it described as a giant overturned salad bowl, but when they started running the numbers or putting a model in a wind tunnel, I'm not sure which, they discovered that it went airborne with a wind under 80 mph. Unidentified Flying Coliseum.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How many times have we seen a team try a indoor stadium only to have to replace it. People keep trying this indoor idea and it never works. Look at all the NFL teams that have or are tying to get outdoor stadiums. Even the few college teams out there that have indoor stadiums are switching out.

Aside all this. We will lose every bit of home field advantage we have. We are already bowling in the S endzone eliminating the wind tunnel. To close in JT and allow the south teams to complete with us in their conditions at our home field = stupid. Also keep in mind that some of the loudest stadiums out there are not indoor stadiums.

Teams are building new indoor stadiums too. I think the big difference is the retractable roof.

And the 'home field advantage' of the cold in ames is a bit overrated. Texas doesnt come up here then and just as often we have other north teams here in colder parts of the year. At the same time, that cold\wind hurts our own attendance in the later parts of the year.

Obviously this is all just conjecture, as its unlikely we'll ever have the money to completely scrap and build new.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Teams are building new indoor stadiums too. I think the big difference is the retractable roof.

And the 'home field advantage' of the cold in ames is a bit overrated. Texas doesnt come up here then and just as often we have other north teams here in colder parts of the year. At the same time, that cold\wind hurts our own attendance in the later parts of the year.

Obviously this is all just conjecture, as its unlikely we'll ever have the money to completely scrap and build new.

To actually get home field advantage, we'd have to play Texas near the end of the season in Ames. And what is the likelihood of that ever happening again?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny

Going forward we'll finish out season with OK, OKST, and KST. So we'll get either OK or OKST in November in Ames each year. I don't know that the cold will be a big advantage over the Oklahoma teams, but at least we're guaranteed one south team at home in November.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If we built a dome, would we still be able to keep the hillsides?

And then throw in the Cardinal Red turf.

...the 5 star guys would be lining up...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Going forward we'll finish out season with OK, OKST, and KST. So we'll get either OK or OKST in November in Ames each year. I don't know that the cold will be a big advantage over the Oklahoma teams, but at least we're guaranteed one south team at home in November.

Yeah, i dont think it'll be that big a deal though.

Which affects our 'home field advantage' more? A bit colder temperature affecting the other team, or those temperatures causing our attendance to drop. On the whole you might say that the cold is a negative for our own home field advantage.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
I heard many years ago that the original design of Hilton was pretty much like this. I heard it described as a giant overturned salad bowl, but when they started running the numbers or putting a model in a wind tunnel, I'm not sure which, they discovered that it went airborne with a wind under 80 mph. Unidentified Flying Coliseum.

Oh, the days of the old super computers. Boston's Third Stage album was delayed for several years because MIT put the original sketch data of the Guitar Spaceship into their Cray and it came back and said if it was built, it wouldn't fly (no ****?). So they had to re draw their album cover............

So, apparently if built, according to the Cray at MIT in 1985-86, this thing will actually fly.....

boston_third-stage_album_cover.jpeg

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Oh, the days of the old super computers. Boston's Third Stage album was delayed for several years because MIT put the original sketch data of the Guitar Spaceship into their Cray and it came back and said if it was built, it wouldn't fly (no ****?). So they had to re draw their album cover............

So, apparently if built, according to the Cray at MIT in 1985-86, this thing will actually fly.....

I'm gonna go run the numbers on that on my workstation at work. I'll let you know in about 15 minutes (10 of which will be inputting the geometry.) It'll only take that Cray about 3 weeks to get back to you.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

So that's why they switched to a pipe organ ship? Ironic because not many keyboard tracks are featured on this album... Still one of my favorites regardless- Tom Scholz is the *****.

Last edited:

thetruthhurts

Jan 13, 2010
If we built a dome, would we still be able to keep the hillsides?

And then throw in the Cardinal Red turf.

...the 5 star guys would be lining up...

In indoor stadium would take away some seats, but it is not like we sell the place out now as it is. One of the biggest perks for recruits now a days is playing somewhere where it is warm. They me be girls for thinking that but we have to adjust to the time. Having something to sell to each recruit is important and this definitely qualifies. Those saying football is met to be played outdoors, is there a law on that? And those saying turf blows, really, it doesn't have to be turf? It may be a radical thread but those who are against it really aren't saying a lot of negatives about it. I even know it won't happen but i'm sure most of you would agree it would be pretty cool.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
In indoor stadium would take away some seats, but it is not like we sell the place out now as it is. One of the biggest perks for recruits now a days is playing somewhere where it is warm. They me be girls for thinking that but we have to adjust to the time. Having something to sell to each recruit is important and this definitely qualifies. Those saying football is met to be played outdoors, is there a law on that? And those saying turf blows, really, it doesn't have to be turf? It may be a radical thread but those who are against it really aren't saying a lot of negatives about it. I even know it won't happen but i'm sure most of you would agree it would be pretty cool.

No its not cool.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
And how many colleges outside of the SEC and Texas could afford to build a stadium like what you suggest? I'm guessing not many. You're suggesting building a ~$1 billion stadium. We have problems raising $30 million to bowl in the south endzone, for Pete's sake...

This.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
How much would that cost? If we went indoor, we would have turf, and I hated playing in the UNI dome in HS. It was like playing on concrete, you couldn't get any traction to plant and move, much less actually apply force to direct the opposing team. It was a nightmare.

Uh, turf has evolved a bit since the horrific turf everyone had back in the 80's/90's. No indoor stadium in the last 5 years has had the crap installed. That being said, dumb idea.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Prolly wont ever happen but it would tie isu to something cool. Recruiting would prolly be a little better and im sure a lot of people would be on board when the time comes for a new one? thoughts?

I think some people bashing the OP missed the key phrase, "when the time comes for a new (stadium)."

I don't know how long that would be. Isn't some of that based on structural issues?

I'd definitely prefer Trice stands for a long time, and is improved as much as possible. But pretend it was "time" within a decade. I wouldn't go with a dome. I attended one ISU game and one Iowa game at the Metrodome, and it was the worst college atmosphere I could imagine.

However, a retractable model with field turf might be OK (i'm sure $ might make a difference. It would probably be unnecessary for most weather situations but it would have an advantage for the facility itself — more possibilities for events beyond FB games.

Question is — do you try to put it the new stadium in basically the same place?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron