What If ISU had in indoor football stadium?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Football is a tough sport; arguably THE toughest. It deserves to be played at the mercy of mother nature; in extreme heat; in blizzards; in the desert; in the dirt; in the mud; in the rain of Seattle & Miami. Name me a dynastic dome team. They falter in the January elements. You indoor fake turf softies can take your domes and shove it.

Reactions: SenorCy

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Question is, on a pleasant, comfortable Saturday in the fall, why would you want to be playing or watching a football game indoors? An indoor stadium makes sense if you're playing football well into January or something like that.

And why would that be a recruiting benefit, necessarily? Do you really think a player is going to choose ISU over Iowa, Wisconsin, etc because of an indoor stadium? I don't think it's whether it's indoor or outdoor, but the fact that it's a new stadium. After that, it's going to be all about the atmosphere. Unless you get butts in the seats, and get them loud, it won't matter if you're inside or outside...an empty stadium is an empty stadium.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
It will never happen, that is true. But it wouldn't have been a terrible idea back in the 70s. Don't listen to these guys who act like a dome is the work of the devil. It's 2011 and people still talk about "indoor football" like some dude in the 1890s going off about the "horseless carriage." Hate to break it to you visionaries, but indoor football is here to stay.

...and so is outdoor football. New England has a newer outdoor stadium, New York has a brand new outdoor stadium, and Minnesota wants an outdoor stadium. You sound like a guy in 1980 who bought a DeLorean because its going to be the future.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
...and so is outdoor football. New England has a newer outdoor stadium, New York has a brand new outdoor stadium, and Minnesota wants an outdoor stadium. You sound like a guy in 1980 who bought a DeLorean because its going to be the future.

Minnesota *only wants to pay* for an outdoor stadium. Basically saying to the state 'you'll get more benefit from a roof than we will'.

That said, unlimited money to build a new stadium for ISU... damn right i'm doing retractable roof. So many benefits to that.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
I wonder if any program has ever looked into the viability of a partial type covering, like they used in the design of DIA? Only more functional.

ftf-200609-DIA.jpg

I don't know about covering the whole thing, but maybe the whole north end. It looks all cattywompus already anyway........and before some of you knot up you underoos, I'm not really mostly serious with this question. I mean come, who are we kidding, it's a tent.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Until Jerry Jones built a recreation inside of a heated dome of the entire islands of both Grand Bahama and Providence in Arlington next to Jerryworld.

JPs new checklist

1-build underwater Dome
2-Kill Jerry Jones
3-Host NC Game

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I wonder if any program has ever looked into the viability of a partial type covering, like they used in the design of DIA? Only more functional.

ftf-200609-DIA.jpg

I don't know about covering the whole thing, but maybe the whole north end. It looks all cattywompus already anyway........and before some of you knot up you underoos, I'm not really mostly serious with this question. I mean come, who are we kidding, it's a tent.

I would prefer a giant golf umbrella. Or maybe just a giant tarp lean too. I be we could get a heck of a deal on a giant tarp at Theisen's.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
How many times have we seen a team try a indoor stadium only to have to replace it. People keep trying this indoor idea and it never works. Look at all the NFL teams that have or are tying to get outdoor stadiums. Even the few college teams out there that have indoor stadiums are switching out.

Aside all this. We will lose every bit of home field advantage we have. We are already bowling in the S endzone eliminating the wind tunnel. To close in JT and allow the south teams to complete with us in their conditions at our home field = stupid. Also keep in mind that some of the loudest stadiums out there are not indoor stadiums.