lorazepam information

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
so i got a small prescription of lorazepam for various reasons, but had a few questions i didn't get to ask my doc. and the information printed out was surprisingly vague.

after taking one .5mg tablet, how long should i wait before:

1)driving?
2)drinking (not at the same time of course)?

i have never taken this before and really just want to pop on in before i go to bed so i can actually sleep tonight.

thanks in advance.

Cywineguy

Apr 23, 2010
Basically a more potent valium. Would not drive for couple of hours. At least at first because it will have a heavier effect to start.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
so i got a small prescription of lorazepam for various reasons, but had a few questions i didn't get to ask my doc. and the information printed out was surprisingly vague.

1)driving?

i have never taken this before and really just want to pop on in before i go to bed so i can actually sleep tonight.

thanks in advance.

yes i know it seems stupid to ask for information from a sports message board. but, there is a diverse group on here from all walks of life and profession. when i posted the doc/pharm was closed where i got the meds from.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
You're not really supposed to drink at all while taking it as it suppresses the respiratory system, and combined with alcohol, well... If you're taking it at night, wait and see how it affects you before driving, but you'll more than likely be fine but a little hung over in the morning. After a few days it won't be so bad.

It's addictive and I believe it loses effectiveness over time.

Are you supposed to just take it before bedtime, or are you going to be taking it 3 times a day?

cycloneman42

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Iowa City, IA
First of all, like the above said- never ask for or take medical advice from a message board.

Second, alcohol and Benzos like lorazepam (and valium, xanax, etc) are both depressants which means they have an additive effect with alcohol. The both act on the same receptors in different ways. You should not take them together.

As far as driving, you are probably good to go. Tons of people drive after taking Benzos. Just make sure you feel comfortable and alert, not overly sedated.

But yeah- call your doctor if you are worried about it.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
You're not really supposed to drink at all while taking it as it suppresses the respiratory system, and combined with alcohol, well... If you're taking it at night, wait and see how it affects you before driving, but you'll more than likely be fine but a little hung over in the morning. After a few days it won't be so bad.

It's addictive and I believe it loses effectiveness over time.

Are you supposed to just take it before bedtime, or are you going to be taking it 3 times a day?

doc said i only have to take it if i feel i need it. i definitely need it for sleep tonight, but (hopefully) won't have to take any tomorrow. i know not to take it with alcohol, but was wondering if 24hrs from taking one .5mg dose would be enough time to be safe.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'd call walgreens and just ask them, they won't know if you got the ****** there or not and probably would answer even if they did.

More than likely you'd be okay with a beer or two, but every person is different and people have died from combining clonazepam and alcohol. The effects wear off in like 6 hours or so, but it's in your system for longer.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
This is unreal...... The stupidity on this board amazes me. You honestly came here for Info when you failed to ask your doctor.

that was a bit harsh, there are people in the medical field on this board you know. and no, im not going to take anything without a grain of salt. just wanted a little extra info if someone happened to know.

d30fan

Jul 6, 2007
I had a Dr. Rx it as a sleep aid. Bad news. Very addictive and nasty if you quit suddenly. You can goggle lorazepam and find all kinds of info on it. Talk to your doc about long-term effects. I found some other meds for chronic insomnia that work well and don't seem to be addictive.

M3MEPLEASE

Sep 4, 2009
I'm a doctor. If you drink heavily while doubling your lorazepam dosage, you can experience a strong euphoric feeling. So what are you waiting for?

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
So I have a good story about lorazepam. The doctor told me to take half of one pill because I was nervous for my wedding. Said it would be like drinking a glass of wine. So..... the morning of my wedding I go golfing with three friends to relax. It went a little long and I didn't have time to eat lunch before taking pictures. I was getting nervous so I decided to take the 2 full pills instead of the half (the doc gave me two, so I took them). Long story short, I do not remember my wedding AT ALL.... no joke.

cloneluke80

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
So I have a good story about lorazepam. The doctor told me to take half of one pill because I was nervous for my wedding. Said it would be like drinking a glass of wine. So..... the morning of my wedding I go golfing with three friends to relax. It went a little long and I didn't have time to eat lunch before taking pictures. I was getting nervous so I decided to take the 2 full pills instead of the half (the doc gave me two, so I took them). Long story short, I do not remember my wedding AT ALL.... no joke.

Does your wife know this? Did you act like a giggly little schoolgirl in front of all friends and family? Please tell me you did not make a speech!

Otherwise, sweet story. Except you paid $10-$20k for it!

Cloned

SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009

1)driving?

thanks in advance.

Your GP or Pharm should have given you more info. Lorazepam (Ativan) is a short acting benzodiazepine compared to something like clonazepam (Klonopin). Lorazepam typically last a few hours and 0.5 mg is not a big dose. If you are taking it before bed you should have no problem driving in the morning. However everyone can be affected differently by benzos so you will just have to see how you feel. Should not drink while taking benzos and should not mix different benzos together. Not sure exactly why you are taking them but whether it be insomnia, anxiety, etc not drinking at all is probably a good idea anyway.

Help Support Us

Become a patron