Price of Gas

Mar 9, 2010
Why hasn't the price of gas gone up this summer? It seems like every year it goes up at least 15% by this time. Not that I am complaining, but am just curious. Any experts out there know if it will go up by the end of the summer?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Not an expert but demand is down because of the poor economy. People around the world are driving less.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wish it were true in Ames. The price of gas in Ames is consistently $0.10-$0.15 more expensive than it is in Des Moines or Ankeny. It is kinda ridiculous that it costs that much more to send the gas 30 miles North. Maybe the new HyVee gas station will be priced more closely with the metro area.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I wish it were true in Ames. The price of gas in Ames is consistently $0.10-$0.15 more expensive than it is in Des Moines or Ankeny. It is kinda ridiculous that it costs that much more to send the gas 30 miles North. Maybe the new HyVee gas station will be priced more closely with the metro area.

doubtful. probably similar suppliers.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Personal take (guess)....

There's a major environmental disaster happening in the Gulf of Mexico. Millions, probably even billions, in lost revenues, incomes, etc. Gas companies aren't going to follow that up with more reports and inquiries into record profit quarters.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Why hasn't the price of gas gone up this summer? It seems like every year it goes up at least 15% by this time. Not that I am complaining, but am just curious. Any experts out there know if it will go up by the end of the summer?

"Teacher, Teacher.... Weren't we supposed to have a quiz today?!?!"

Geez - STFU before someone hears you!!! :wink:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Poor economy.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

The Hy-Vee in Marshalltown has a gas station, and they do "gas busters" where you can save some money, usually $0.02 - $0.10 per gallon, when you show a receipt from Hy-Vee. They used to have specific items that netted you an additional $0.04/gallon/item discount. When the gas prices were the worst a few years ago, you could add the discounts and get up to $0.25/gallon off. Now I just wish they sold diesel...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's about 2.50 in Des Moines Arkansas.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
consider getting a membership at sams club if gas is too expensive. it is always at least 10 cents cheaper than the next cheapest place in ames. even with the membership fee each year. you more than save that money on just gas

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Bad economy... when the economy finally gets going again, it'll probably shoot up to $4 again.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Gas prices tend to spike around holidays, esp. high-travel ones (Memorial Day, Labor Day). Occasionally there'll be a big rise at other times. People freak out about it, and the price stays noticeably high for a while, then gradually dips back down at or near the original level.

Like anyone else, I hate those periods when it's seemingly outrageous, but I take some of it with a grain of salt.

LZclone

Oct 2, 2008
Mahomet IL via Laurens IA
We are running $2.75 here in Central Illinois, so it is probably over $3 in the Communist State of Chicago.

But here is an oddity I dislike as a former Iowan...

87 octane usually as no ethanol, while 89 has 10-15% based on suppliers.

In Illinois (the 2nd largest corn producing state, behind Iowa) the ethanol blend runs you 10 cents more, where is Iowa it will run you 10 cents less?!?!?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008

There's a major environmental disaster happening in the Gulf of Mexico. Millions, probably even billions, in lost revenues, incomes, etc. Gas companies aren't going to follow that up with more reports and inquiries into record profit quarters.

I agree with this also. A little Oliver Stone"ish" but in this day and age these types of things have become more and more common.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I think it's a combination of this and the economy. It really looks bad for them when they're pulling in record profits in a down economy. It looks even worse after such a major disaster.

Jables22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2007
We are running $2.75 here in Central Illinois, so it is probably over $3 in the Communist State of Chicago.

But here is an oddity I dislike as a former Iowan...

87 octane usually as no ethanol, while 89 has 10-15% based on suppliers.

In Illinois (the 2nd largest corn producing state, behind Iowa) the ethanol blend runs you 10 cents more, where is Iowa it will run you 10 cents less?!?!?

Illinois must not have ethanol subsidies like IA does. I think MN "buys" the price of 10% ethanol down as well.